Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltyPiratePony)
    I was literally just about to do this thread before i noticed this.

I too am a Patriot fan, currently sitting up watching the game, the big man kickoff return to the 5 yardine made me lol, YES FAT MAN, THERE IS HOPE FOR US ALL.
    Dan Connolly was practice squad earlier this year. Then BOOM! Runs one back 71 yards. Get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK)
    Also a sometime Pats fan and watching the game, good interception and TD. How many more wins till we clinch a playoff berth?
    We clinched playoffs last week. But we haven't got our division or home field advantage yet.

We win AFC east if we win next week or jets lose. We clinch home field advantage if we win or jets lose or steelers lose.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Saints fan. And no, it's not just because of the Superbowl last year or the fact they played in London as well. The first football game I went to was when I was about 13 at the New Orleans Superdome and I absolutely fell in love with the whole atmosphere. The Saints won that game and since then I've been a fan.

I watched the last quarter of the Jets/Steelers game on Sky Sports 4 last night. Brilliant ending. The Steelers probably should have won though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    I'm an NFL n00b, and recently decided to support the Packers for a couple of reasons... So I'm watching right now... loving it

The pads do make it kinda gay though... I mean they're only necessary to wear because your opponents are. Why not do away with them all together? Would make the sport more accessible considering pads cost £££s
    First of all good team! I like the Pack a lot. I presume you know of Green Bays history? Just as a note in case you don't, Green Bay won the first ever Superbowl and the second ever Superbowl. They also had the player with the first Superbowl MVP ever, Bart Starr. If you are a packers fan, you are affectionately known as a 'cheesehead'. The Packers have a total of 12 league championships including their wins before the Superbowl was introduced. They play at Lambeau field (pronounced LAM-BOW) which is renowned as one of the toughest places to go to due to cold weather and crazy fans. And Brett Favre, one of the best Quarterbacks ever, accomplished himself as a Packers player. Probably the best Packer ever.

They're not only necessary because of the other players. The game is so violent and the pressures put on somebody's body are so high that people would never get insurance to play the game if they didn't have some form of protection. The hits are incredibly violent and even with padding the average career of an NFL player is only 4 years due to injury. Padding is primarily worn to reduce injure, it does very little at reducing pain. See here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNy-TkDGB0

And at our team, you don't buy the pads but rent them cheaply off the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    I'm a Saints fan. And no, it's not just because of the Superbowl last year or the fact they played in London as well. The first football game I went to was when I was about 13 at the New Orleans Superdome and I absolutely fell in love with the whole atmosphere. The Saints won that game and since then I've been a fan.

I watched the last quarter of the Jets/Steelers game on Sky Sports 4 last night. Brilliant ending. The Steelers probably should have won though.
    As a Patriots fan, I am angry the Steelers didn't win. I HATE THE JETS!

But yes the Saints are a great team. Probably the quietest 10-4 season ever! The Saints are probably the only team in the NFL I don't want to play any time soon.

And Drew Brees :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isildur1)
    Its amazing how everyone seems to be a Patriots fan as they are coincidently playing live on C4 right now...
    More like only the patriots fans are still awake because all the other teams have finished up already.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Browns fan, but this is the first season I've really followed (following a friend who's a huge Jets fan). Browns because the only place I've been in America is Cleveland, and I came back with a Browns cap.

All these Pats fans should give me plenty of room for smack talk, because Brady is a [email protected]%£ing !&*#.

I'm pretty hopeful for next season, if we get rid of Daboll and draft some big play receivers then I believe McCoy could be huge. I'm hoping for (although not exactly expecting) a Ravens-Eagles superbowl. Mostly because both would really piss off the Steelers.

Did anyone watch the Eagles' comeback last night? Vick is a machine - the focus on DeSean Jackson's amazing punt return TD ignores the 3 other 4th-quarter touchdowns set up by Vick's scrambles. Best playing I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blaah Blaah)
    I'm a Browns fan, but this is the first season I've really followed (following a friend who's a huge Jets fan). Browns because the only place I've been in America is Cleveland, and I came back with a Browns cap.

All these Pats fans should give me plenty of room for smack talk, because Brady is a [email protected]%£ing !&*#.

I'm pretty hopeful for next season, if we get rid of Daboll and draft some big play receivers then I believe McCoy could be huge. I'm hoping for (although not exactly expecting) a Ravens-Eagles superbowl. Mostly because both would really piss off the Steelers.

Did anyone watch the Eagles' comeback last night? Vick is a machine - the focus on DeSean Jackson's amazing punt return TD ignores the 3 other 4th-quarter touchdowns set up by Vick's scrambles. Best playing I've ever seen.
    Respect to you being a Browns fan :L Although I can't talk because your one of the two teams to beat the Pats this season :/ Which is very strange seeing as we beat Steelers/Colts/Jets/Ravens/Packers.

Anyhoo, I too would be very excited to be a Browns fan. Your record doesn't reflect your skill as a team which in terms of right here right now is a bad thing, but a high draft pick and a lot of so far inconsistent but future talents (Hillis/McCoy/Haden) you could soon be a team to reckon with. Perhaps as you say a deep threat wide receiver would do nicely for Cleveland right now. Although I wouldn't put your hopes on a division title any time in the next 2 years. The Steelers and Ravens are much stronger than their record suggests.

As for the Superbowl, I don't see the Ravens getting in. I have the Steelers/Colts/Jets as better teams than them right now and they would have to beat at least two of those teams to get there. I of course want Patriots vs Eagles just so Brady can squash all this 'Vick for MVP' talk. It's really getting on my nerves :/

And how can you not like Brady? He seems to have approval in Rome anyhow :P
    Spoiler:
    Show

However I must take my hat off to Vick. A year out of football and playing some of the best of his career. He is doing an amazing job.

And let's be honest, DJack's return was pretty good but nowhere near as amazing as DAN FREAKING CONNOLLY'S! Longest return by an O-lineman in NFL history :L (71 YARDS!) If only he'd taken it back

ReputationRep:
    Well im a cardinals fan and have followed them for the past 5 years, Im afraid to say that losing to the panthers is the second worst loss after the superbowl loss.

ReputationRep:
    Been an NFL fan for over 5 years. A Packers fan for over a year.

Go Saints! Shame they lost to the Ravens yesterday though.

On the other hand though the late game was an epic finish with the Steelers; I really thought they were going to do it then the guy hesitated, then ran and still got tackled.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Barden)
      I'm an NFL n00b, and recently decided to support the Packers for a couple of reasons... So I'm watching right now... loving it

The pads do make it kinda gay though... I mean they're only necessary to wear because your opponents are. Why not do away with them all together? Would make the sport more accessible considering pads cost £££s
      In the early years of the game pads were not really used and, though rare, deaths were not unheard of. You shuold also remember that while the padding can be seen as protection, it can also be seen as a weapon. An helmet to any part of the body, paddd or not, is going to be felt quite easily. That's precisely why the NFL has tried to clamp down on leading with the head this season.

Also, pads or no pads, the guys who play the game are freaks of nature. Just look at Favre or Roethlisberger. Those guys are unreal, given the kinds of injuries they have played with in the past.

Just thought I'd add, I'm a Jaguars fan.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheMagicRat)
      In the early years of the game pads were not really used and, though rare, deaths were not unheard of. You shuold also remember that while the paddig can be seen as protection, it can also be seen as a weapon. An helmet to any part of the body, paddd or not, is going to be felt quite easily. That's precisely why the NFL has tried to clamp down on leading with the head this season.

Also, pads or no pads, the guys who play the game are freaks of nature. Just look at Favre or Roethlisberger. Those guys are unreal, given the kinds of injuries they have played with in the past.

Just thought I'd add, I'm a Jaguars fan.
      I saw the Jags play this season

Gutted you lost to Colts! I hate the Colts. Seeing them lose the division would have been ace!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rise_Against)
      Well im a cardinals fan and have followed them for the past 5 years, Im afraid to say that losing to the panthers is the second worst loss after the superbowl loss.
      That has to hurt. I picked the Cards as well I did really bad at picking games this week.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Isildur1)
      lol hate? please quote the part of my previous statement where i expressed any 'hate'

...and i thought it was funny how you referred to Dan Connolly as 'the big man' and 'fat man' as you clearly didnt even know his name. Great fan you are...
      Not many people would know Dan Connolly. Practice squad back-up O-linemen. I don't imagine your big on your back-up o-linemen either.

And you don't have to know every team members name to be a good fan. Just supporting them through thick and thin and keeping track of their progress is fine.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S129439)
      I saw the Jags play this season

Gutted you lost to Colts! I hate the Colts. Seeing them lose the division would have been ace!
      I know. I can't see the Colts slipping up now. I woud expect the Jags to win their last two, especially the game next week against the Redskins (who seem to have become a bit of a circus).

I think the Jags onside kick is contender for the worst ever.

To be honest, however, I never expected the Jags to be in this position. 8 wins is way more than I expected at the start of the season.

ReputationRep:
      The Patriots probably get a lot of support cause they have "England" in their name lmao.

I don't really have a favourite team tbh, just like watching it when I notice it's on, we don't get all that much coverage over here. That said, lots of games over Christmas!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheMagicRat)
      I know. I can't see the Colts slipping up now. I woud expect the Jags to win their last two, especially the game next week against the Redskins (who seem to have become a bit of a circus).

I think the Jags onside kick is contender for the worst ever.

To be honest, however, I never expected the Jags to be in this position. 8 wins is way more than I expected at the start of the season.
      Well for a start MJD has a chance at finishing the season as the rushing yards leader. He will have over 1500.

I don't think the Colts will slip either. Oakland and Tennessee to go. Perhaps they could lose to Oakland? Maybe? Oakland are at home, just hung a 40 burger on Denver and have Darren Mcfadden to have a crack at a poor Colts D. Plus Nnamdi Asomugha is a crazy corner who could pick off Manning.

I think Jaguars could feasibly lose the next two ro win the next two, it's up in the air. Washington just put 30 on Dallas and tbh could easily have won and Houston with Schaub and Johnson/Foster can exploit anyone. Their offense is amazing, just depends if their defense can hold up (which it probably won't).

And yeah it was horrible.

ReputationRep:
      I've loved the Jags ever since the Fred Taylor-Jones Drew combination in Mo-Jo's second season when they beat the damned Steelers in the Playoffs. On a different note, I've went 13-1 in my NFL.com fantasy league against a load of yanks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JamesyB)
      The Patriots probably get a lot of support cause they have "England" in their name lmao.

I don't really have a favourite team tbh, just like watching it when I notice it's on, we don't get all that much coverage over here. That said, lots of games over Christmas!
      That's my reason right there haha

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.