Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Virgins - Girls vs. Guys watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    i agree with this. a woman who is a virgin is hot. a man who is a virgin is inept.
    A woman who is a virgin is hot? Not always; try saying that hours after trying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    i agree with this. a woman who is a virgin is hot. a man who is a virgin is inept.
    A woman who is a virgin isn't hot. More awkward than hot. Why do you think that?

Also well done for bumping a thread from last year. :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    In some eastern contries, having sex before marriage for a woman is deemed as moral degradation. Women should keep their virginity, while not the same case with men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    A woman who is a virgin isn't hot. More awkward than hot. Why do you think that?

Also well done for bumping a thread from last year. :congrats:
    So what exactly is it about opening your legs that makes you a less awkward person? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I believe in staying a virgin until marriage, so my personal opinion is it's completely fine - and a good thing - for both boys and girls to be virgins at whatever age. However, if we're talking about society generally, it's seen as much more acceptable for girls to be virgins than boys. A 21-year-old girl who's a virgin is seen as pure, innocent, self-respecting - her value goes up because she's most likely had the opportunity to lose her virginity but decided to keep it. A 21-year-old boy who's a virgin is more likely to be seen as awkward, inexperienced, lacking in some quality or other that would attract a girl - his value goes down because he, most likely, has been keen to lose it (it's not a sweeping generalization to say boys are rather more obsessed with sex than girls) but hasn't been able to. I'm not saying that's the view that we should have, but I think that's the prevailing one - virgin girl = good, virgin boy = bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Inspired by the many, many threads we get here daily that are more or less "I'm 53 and still a virgin, am I normal" etc. and their responses, it just got me thinking.

Do you think it's more acceptable for a guy or a girl to be a virgin after a certain age? I'm hesitant to put an exact number, because I'll have plenty of people taking offence/ arguing about it, so let's just put it in the twenties or older, thereabouts. Let's face it, the majority of young people today are having sex earlier and earlier, and those who decide not to/ don't for whatever reason tend to be received negatively by those who do, sadly.

But who do you think has it the worst when it comes to being judged for being a virgin? Girls, perhaps, because "they could have sex with any guy"? Or are they viewed more positively than guys for choosing not to? Are guys seen as lame or bad with women?

I'm not asking for answers like "it doesn't matter to me!" here, because as awesome and open-minded as you are, I'm looking for your theories on who has it worse in society as a whole.
    It's definitely more acceptable for women, which is debatable seeing as pretty much every woman can go out and get sex with a guy who is attractive, but many men can't go out and find a woman because they (the women) are so incredibly shallow and critical.

Male virgins are seen as losers and if you ask women then the vast majority of them will say that it's a MAJOR turn-off if the guy is a virgin. And if you ask women between, say, 25 and 35 almost 100% will say that it's one of the biggest turn-offs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Inspired by the many, many threads we get here daily that are more or less "I'm 53 and still a virgin, am I normal" etc. and their responses, it just got me thinking.

Do you think it's more acceptable for a guy or a girl to be a virgin after a certain age? I'm hesitant to put an exact number, because I'll have plenty of people taking offence/ arguing about it, so let's just put it in the twenties or older, thereabouts. Let's face it, the majority of young people today are having sex earlier and earlier, and those who decide not to/ don't for whatever reason tend to be received negatively by those who do, sadly.

But who do you think has it the worst when it comes to being judged for being a virgin? Girls, perhaps, because "they could have sex with any guy"? Or are they viewed more positively than guys for choosing not to? Are guys seen as lame or bad with women?

I'm not asking for answers like "it doesn't matter to me!" here, because as awesome and open-minded as you are, I'm looking for your theories on who has it worse in society as a whole.

im 25 and still one (girl). but i only ever talk about it with dudes im dating or on TSR. none of my friends know. i'd say the cut off age in general is about 21. much longer after that and indeed you are in the weird category. prior to 21, at uni etc i was proud of my beliefs and told loads of people it was a good thing. but now im embarrassed to tell people.

for dudes, the cut off age is 18. after that you go in the weird bin.

HOWEVER, if you are keeping it for special, girls who share your beliefs will really respect you. let the man hoes date the femme hoes and let the decent chaps date the true ladies. it works perfectly if you are euqlly matched in this way, with mutrual understand ing and respect for each othrs lifetlyes.

if they are unequally matched, ie lady hoe dates a true gent who is a 28 y/o virgin, he will feel insecure and inexperienced, and she will prob friend zone him or cheat. similarly if a lady dates a rudeybwaay then he will cheat and leave her for the nastier gal.

i personally would love to meet a 25+ year old virgin for marriage and would have 100% respect and trust in them . many of my similarly minded relgious friendswho are virgins intheir 20s and 30s would also love to meet a girl/dude who had kept themself, and will look down on anyone who hasnt, for marriage purposes.

so in conclusion. be true to yourself and it will work out provided you date people of similar values and beliefs regarding sexxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bahl)
    Male virgins are seen as losers and if you ask women then the vast majority of them will say that it's a MAJOR turn-off if the guy is a virgin. And if you ask women between, say, 25 and 35 almost 100% will say that it's one of the biggest turn-offs.
    i agree the majority of women would think this, and im sure the majority of men would think the same about women in the same 25-35 age bracket.

BUT i do not agree almost 100% are of this view. I would think it is closer to 80%. There are large groups of devout chrisitans, muslims, and foreigners who still think having sexy relations outside of marriage is bad, and would much prefer to marry a virgin. also there are large amounts of gals and guys who might sleep about randomly but have duifferent standads for a husbaknd/wife and would also value people who have kept their mouse in the house for marriage.

ReputationRep:
    A female virgin, has pure, wholesome, attractive connotations...A guy virgin is sort of a loser, it is almost as if we have failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    i agree the majority of women would think this, and im sure the majority of men would think the same about women in the same 25-35 age bracket.
    No, they wouldn't. Most men couldn't care less. It's worse for male virgins because nearly all women expect the guy to take the initiative and also do all the work in bed.

(Original post by shinytoy)
    BUT i do not agree almost 100% are of this view. I would think it is closer to 80%. There are large groups of devout chrisitans, muslims, and foreigners who still think having sexy relations outside of marriage is bad, and would much prefer to marry a virgin. also there are large amounts of gals and guys who might sleep about randomly but have duifferent standads for a husbaknd/wife and would also value people who have kept their mouse in the house for marriage.
    I'm not talking about those people who let religion affect their views on sex. So I would still say that it's almost 100% of those women (who aren't letting religion affect their views on sex) I mentioned before who share that view.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.