Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would Lib Dems campaign for the next election? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    Conservatives have just gone up on my pathetic scale.
    admit it though, it is a tad funny

ReputationRep:
    In reality they've been played.

They made promises like any party but generally it's based on being the sole party in government. OK they're in government but they're the minority partner and the 3rd biggest overall (lets remember that)

It was plainly obvious they wouldn't get their way on most of their plans unless it was similar or identical to Conservative policy. This is the way the world works when you're the lesser entity. You get told how it is and if you're lucky you can use your smaller influence to alter some things more to your liking. Realistically, even if they'd outright won the election it would be nearly impossible for them to keep the fees pledge.

They've fallen victim to circumstance but they couldn't really play it out any other way. I'm far from a Lib Dem supporter but I can still see that they're taking a battering that isn't entirely fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    In reality they've been played.

They made promises like any party but generally it's based on being the sole party in government. OK they're in government but they're the minority partner and the 3rd biggest overall (lets remember that)

It was plainly obvious they wouldn't get their way on most of their plans unless it was similar or identical to Conservative policy. This is the way the world works when you're the lesser entity. You get told how it is and if you're lucky you can use your smaller influence to alter some things more to your liking. Realistically, even if they'd outright won the election it would be nearly impossible for them to keep the fees pledge.

They've fallen victim to circumstance but they couldn't really play it out any other way. I'm far from a Lib Dem supporter but I can still see that they're taking a battering that isn't entirely fair.
    Theres no such thing as far. They knew the economy was bad and still made their pledge. Noone twisted their arm to sign it. They told a lie and got caught out.

ReputationRep:
    Well, firstly they will have to write a serious manifesto rather than one full of idealistic and unrealistic promises as they are now a party of government rather than outsiders sucking up the "protest" vote. Their best bet would be to highlight the genuine impact they had on government: conservative policies they watered down or forced them to abandon all together, policies of theirs they were able to introduce, and also if any of their ministers did a particularly good job in turning around the fortunes of their department. Maybe also pursue the line of "we were able to set aside political dogma and work together with one of our opponents for the greater benefit of our country in these exceptional times, while our other rivals were too busy fighting each other".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Now that the Lib dems have shown they can be bought, how can the electorate have any trust in their election promises in the next election?

If they say they will do x or y, how can they be trusted to do so?
    If, as expected, this coalition does very well in the long-term, the Lib Dems will probably campaign based on what they delivered in government.

If the coalition does very well, the Lib Dems will do well too. I just love it how Labour are thinking they are going to win so far in advance! As far as I am concerned, Labour will probably lose the next election again. They have no policies, except opportunistic sniping.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a remote chance of the Lib Dems getting anywhere near as many votes as they did this election. They were the party who were supposed to cushion the conservative blow. But they just went along with it.

I don't think labour is much better. They were giving away money the last time they were in power regardless of the economic crisis. Now that Ed Miliband is the leader I think if Labour get back into power it will just be the same as the last Labour Govt. if not more left-wing.

Tories are the only ones who have done what they said they would do (which is in turn fixing the deficit). They may make some ridiculous changes, like the uni fees rise but the cutting of EMA etc. balances it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel2010)
    Tories are the only ones who have done what they said they would do (which is in turn fixing the deficit). They may make some ridiculous changes, like the uni fees rise but the cutting of EMA etc. balances it up.
    Well they aren't giving repayment incentivies on student loans which they said they'd do which would help fix the deficit.

Whats next years deficit projected to be again?

Merge with the Conservatives? :dontknow: Though I hope to God they don't.

Really, as a single party, they've failed before they've even begun. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Depends. If the government lasts the full 4 years they may decide to stick with the coalition depending on the state of the country
      I think the government are planning to introduce 5 year fixed terms... yay

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Square)
      vince cable, nick clegg will have to go, they are now unelectable.
      I don't see why vince cable would be seeing as he contests a Conservative/ Lib Dem marginal.

Clegg has a seat largely populated by sheff university students. He's basically screwed.

ReputationRep:
      By the sound of it Britain is simply opposed to the idea of coalitions and prefers 2 party politics.

Nobody ever admits to that, though. Well... no students.

ReputationRep:
      Make them promise to become much better? Oh wait....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maker)
      Theres no such thing as far. They knew the economy was bad and still made their pledge. Noone twisted their arm to sign it. They told a lie and got caught out.
      But if they hadn't made the pledge everyone would have complained about them "giving in" or "betraying their ideals"

This is my point - they couldn't really win the argument no matter what they did. They just have to hope now that the coalition as a whole is reasonably successful and popular in a few years time. People have short memories and if things are getting better they might be in with a shout of maintaining or increasing their vote.

ReputationRep:
      Clegg will sign another pledge

ReputationRep:
      I see the economic right joining the conservatives.

Not sure about the lefties/the remaining.

ReputationRep:
      Like others have said, Clegg and Cable would have to go, it would be political suicide if they tried for election again. We're only 7 months into the coalition and Lib Dems have lost 2/3rds of their supporters according to polls. They would have to adopt a 'New Labour' approach with new ideas and policies if they want to stand a chance of getting seats.

Clegg's seat is in Sheffield Hallam, populated with tons of students, in 5 years time it will be full of students paying £9000 a year for their tuition, and they will remember what he did.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maker)
      Now that the Lib dems have shown they can be bought, how can the electorate have any trust in their election promises in the next election?
      I know you might be a bit miffed about tuition fees or whatever, but it's very difficult to coherently argue that the Liberals had any other realistic and sensible option than to coalesce with the Tories.

(Original post by Maker)
      If they say they will do x or y, how can they be trusted to do so?
      To be fair, I think the Liberals assumed they'd be able to sit comfortably in opposition for another term. So they signed pledges and made telly adverts about how they wouldn't break promises.

If a party's raison d'etre is coalitions and compromise, campaigning on the basis of unbreakable promises is foolish.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JW92)
      I know you might be a bit miffed about tuition fees or whatever, but it's very difficult to coherently argue that the Liberals had any other realistic and sensible option than to coalesce with the Tories.

To be fair, I think the Liberals assumed they'd be able to sit comfortably in opposition for another term. So they signed pledges and made telly adverts about how they wouldn't break promises.

If a party's raison d'etre is coalitions and compromise, campaigning on the basis of unbreakable promises is foolish.
      The Lib Dems were too starry eyed with the prospect of power to really stand up for their manifesto commitments.

They had a lot of options to keep their promises and failed to do so.

They should have kept the promise on tuition fees and stopped the Tories spending millions on the silly pet project of "Free Schools". Likewise, they should have insisted that the Tories levied a higher tax on bank bonuses to pay for higher education.

Your excuses for the Lib Dems don't hold water.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maker)
      The Lib Dems were too starry eyed with the prospect of power to really stand up for their manifesto commitments.
      I think you'll find they have done what they said they would in their manifesto - or didn't you even read the front cover?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maker)

They had a lot of options to keep their promises and failed to do so.

They should have kept the promise on tuition fees and stopped the Tories spending millions on the silly pet project of "Free Schools". Likewise, they should have insisted that the Tories levied a higher tax on bank bonuses to pay for higher education.

Your excuses for the Lib Dems don't hold water.
      I didn't realise I was making excuses for the Lib Dems. My post was actually critical of their campaign methods.

Being the junior party in a coalition, they've had some of their policies implemented and, yes, a lot have fallen to the wayside. The Liberals haven't the authority or man-power to stop everything that wasn't in their manifesto or insist on everything that was.

You also seem to be focussing on one policy. Try to see the bigger picture.

I'm going to take a while stab in the dark and guess you're a Labourite?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.