Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many people on TSR have ever had an STI? [POLL] Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you ever had an STI?
    Yes
    8.45%
    No - but, I have been tested
    26.06%
    No - never been tested
    28.17%
    No - still a virgin
    37.32%

ReputationRep:
    No but I have been tested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelittleredfox)
    HSV-2 no longer causes most genital herpes, especially among the young and women. In the UK hsv-1 accounts for about 70%+ of new genital herpes infections, and oral sex is the most common form of transmission. This is echoed in other Western countries and may be because of the decrease in the % of the population acquiring oral hsv-1 during childhood / an increase in the prevalence of oral sex. I know a number of other women with genital herpes, and all, like me, have hsv-1 not hsv-2.

Technically, oral hsv-2 is not classed as an std, because it is an oral infection, even if the mode of acquisition is unknown. I think it is important that people are aware that oral herpes hsv-1 is a primary cause, through oral sex, of genital herpes, and that transmission is possible in the absence of symptoms, just as with genital herpes.
    Oh that (boldened) is interesting. It's not what I was told in a lecture, but you sound as though you know your stuff (it was probably out of date). Where did you hear/read that? (Not intended as some kind of challenge, btw )

Surely though if HSV-2 is not described in oral cases as an STD then you wouldn't also describe oral HSV-1 as an STD, as the person I quoted was doing.

I mean, I got a coldsore for the first time when I was a virginal 12 year old who hadn't even kissed anyone. I would hardly call that my first STD because it wasn't transmitted sexually. So I wouldn't call it fair to say "everyone who's ever had a coldsore has an STD" you get me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    Oh that (boldened) is interesting. It's not what I was told in a lecture, but you sound as though you know your stuff (it was probably out of date). Where did you hear/read that? (Not intended as some kind of challenge, btw )

Surely though if HSV-2 is not described in oral cases as an STD then you wouldn't also describe oral HSV-1 as an STD, as the person I quoted was doing.

I mean, I got a coldsore for the first time when I was a virginal 12 year old who hadn't even kissed anyone. I would hardly call that my first STD because it wasn't transmitted sexually. So I wouldn't call it fair to say "everyone who's ever had a coldsore has an STD" you get me?
    Yeah, I get you. As far as I'm concerned oral hsv-1 is not an sti, just a common oral infection.

I'm going to have to have a look for the relevant articles I read - there was one on cases of genital herpes in US college students, and another UK study.

However, the following article refers to the relevant figures and gives a bit of info about the prevalence of hsv-1 as a cause of genital herpes. Know it isn't the medical studies, but I'll try and look for them.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/HSV-1+...n.-a0147876798

ReputationRep:
    These are a couple of relevant studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14520181
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14520180

This is the UK one which dates back to 2001:

http://www.bmj.com/content/324/7350/1366.full.pdf

These are the relevant stats from that:

"HSV*1 was found in:

751 (70%) of all positive swabs in women < 25 years,
    141 (41%) in men < 25 years,
    413 (49%) in women >25 years, and
    182 (23%) in men >25 years."

ReputationRep:
    no, i have been tested. But thanks to my hugely irresponsible boyfriend i am going to be tested again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    How many people on TSR have ever had sex?

Better question no?:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelittleredfox)
    Yep, I have herpes type 1, but genitally.

Boyfriend got coldsores orally, he gave me oral sex, I got genital herpes.

No, I wasn't stupid enough to receive oral when he had a cold sore - he didn't currently have one, which happens a LOT more easily than people think.
    That it actually quite a worrying thought :erm:

I've had "all clear" STD tests before anything sexual has happened with any of my boyfriends (3 in total - my only sexual partners), so I would have said I was clean if you asked me six months ago. Found out the hard way, however, that they don't test you for HPV at a "full screen", and after a smear I was dutifully informed that I had a high risk strain of HPV which had begun to cause me significant health problems.

Had a "full screen" at the same time as said smear which came back "all clear".

Take from that what you will

ReputationRep:
    According to this poll:

TSR equates to a whole lotta virgins...

yup, sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had "all clear" STD tests before anything sexual has happened with any of my boyfriends (3 in total - my only sexual partners), so I would have said I was clean if you asked me six months ago. Found out the hard way, however, that they don't test you for HPV at a "full screen", and after a smear I was dutifully informed that I had a high risk strain of HPV which had begun to cause me significant health problems.

Had a "full screen" at the same time as said smear which came back "all clear".

Take from that what you will
    Hmm. I am assuming this is because HPV only shows up on full smears and not swabs, or do you think they just don't test swabs for it? In any case, I'd rather not have a full smear every time i wanted to get tested. And your body can get rid of HPV itself. And you get a smear every 3 years anyway which should stop anything more serious developing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticklemeellen)
    Hmm. I am assuming this is because HPV only shows up on full smears and not swabs, or do you think they just don't test swabs for it? In any case, I'd rather not have a full smear every time i wanted to get tested. And your body can get rid of HPV itself. And you get a smear every 3 years anyway which should stop anything more serious developing.
    They don't test you for HPV or herpes when you get an std screen. They test for bacterial stds and HIV/Hepatitis if you ask for them. Herpes (often asymptomatic - only about 20% of people with herpes are aware of their infection) only shows up on a special blood test, which the NHS never offers. HPV again requires a special - read more expensive - test, which again is NOT offered on the NHS.

A smear does not test for HPV.

A smear tests for pre-cancerous cervical changes, which are usually caused by hpv, but tests for no sti's. If you have hpv but it is a low-risk kind or has not caused changes to your cervix, it will not show up on a smear.

If you wanted to know if you have HPV, you would have to pay to have a private HPV screen.

Many people's bodies can clear hpv - however, not all. For some people, hpv is more of a problem. Similarly, while for 4 out 0f 5 people herpes doesn't even cause a symptomatic infection, for some people it causes severe and frequent symptoms. However, unlike HPV herpes is not dangerous or life-threatening and does not lead to cancer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.