Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I say lol for comments that are not funny enough to put a hahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    I say it as lolll. I use it in real life when my fake laughing capabillities are failing me.

ReputationRep:
    When I was about 12 and 13 it was used in chat rooms frequently. I'm pretty sure it originated from America too.

ReputationRep:
    Have heard people say it in real life. Or sometimes someone is on here recounting a story "and then my teacher said 'you have detention lol' ".

ReputationRep:
    It can also stand for 'Lord oh Lord', which is a sophisticated way of saying 'What the f****' which is how I feel about this thread. So LOL

ReputationRep:
    Lol

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Olney)
    Ok, so I would happily put money on saying that 90% or more of the active users on this forum use the word 'lol' frequently throughout online conversing. I don't want to make an estimate on how many people use it in real-life situations as well, but it's probably over 50%.

My question is... Why?

I've never seen the appeal of the acronym, and can't remember the last time I used it (other than an example in this thread you eagle-eyed witty users, you), and I have no intention of starting.

Why has this become such a staple in the world of the internet? How often do you write it without actually laughing out loud? When you read it do you read it as 'loll' or 'L-O-L'? Why does nobody seem to know that 'loll' is an actual word and has been around for centuries?
    I do know that 'loll' is a real word. However, 'lol' is very over-used these days to the point of it almost serving as a full-stop. I myself use it rather a lot on BBM, and no, I hardly ever laugh out loud. I use ROFL if I'm laughing out loud. It's all basically an exaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    I say lol for comments that are not funny enough to put a hahahaha.

Hahahaha always sounds like a tired laugh to me. I put lol if I'm just smiling and LOL if its a big smile and LOOOL if the smallest giggle escapes me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Lol

Spoiler:
    Show
    That is actually a good example of where I would use the term "lol."

ReputationRep:
    I'm with the OP in sentiment if not in fervour. I've never used the term myself - only when quoting. I personally think it's childish, unimaginative and indicative of laziness and/or a lack of vocabulary.

If others want to use it, then fine. Not for me, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_olney)
    i don't want to make an estimate on how many people use it in real-life situations as well, but it's probably over 50%.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    personally, i think it's dying. it was pretty cool in the old days of msn but i think people are trying to avoid now unless they're intending to make fun out or something. i tend to stick to the much more sophisticated, 'haha'. works for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSadReaper)
    a) you're a complete and utter idiot who lives in his mums basement.
    b) you're a complete and utter idiot who lives in his mums basement lol.

lol, makes hard things to say, easy.
    yep, this

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.