Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for a new world of warcraft player. Watch

ReputationRep:
    take it from someone who wasted hours of there life playing that ****ty game. don't play it. i played from the original to most of the raids through level 80. you will lose your sole, chance of getting a missus and it will become your social life....

seriously; look up the following on doomhammer (allience) sever and youl;l see what started out as 2 hours a week turning into 6hours + a day thing;

Alvrae
    Thurru
    Lightgrenade
    Xanaia
    Liftrasa
    Lohnag
    Shamil
    Amarah
    and the list goes on for characters pre lvl-60, im pritty sure i had a few others but there the main people i played. racking up over 200 DAYS play time between them. (yes almost a year)

I ended up with 3 accounts and no life for a while, its amazing i managed to get myself a missus in that time.

Thank god my pc broke and i couldn't find the disks.
    Welcome back to reality me!
    I think im only one of a handful of survivors...

ReputationRep:
    Quit before it's too late.

ReputationRep:
    blocked account until 6000 words of dissertation is complete

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't understand what all this is about, my boyfriend plays it and he's not obssessed/has friends/has a girlfriend ffs/showers daily/and is pretty fit in all honesty, you're not going to lose your life from playing it unless you get super-serious and do nothing else..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    I honestly don't understand what all this is about, my boyfriend plays it and he's not obssessed/has friends/has a girlfriend ffs/showers daily/and is pretty fit in all honesty, you're not going to lose your life from playing it unless you get super-serious and do nothing else..
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    That would be because 95% of the people who comment saying its a terrible addicting game that makes you a social outcast are actually unable to name anyone they know who plays that is a social outcast/no-lifer because of it.

To the OP - WoW can be pretty fun as a casual game to play, try and find a guild on your server designed for fun and levelling, they'll be able to help you out with anything you get confused about and it'll make the experience even more fun.

ReputationRep:
    For the casual new player you'll often find yourself out geared for a significant period of time by those who obsessively play the game and continuously grind and thus be crap in PVP situations. Likewise if you obsessively play it in order to ensure decent gear for PVP you'll be a social recluse.

Play it for fun by all means, but when you find yourself needlessly grinding for silly reasons take a step back.

Me I've grown out of the game, I find the endless grinding tiresome truth be told. I don't see why I should pay for that when there are hundreds of free to play mmorpg's instead.

ReputationRep:
    don't bother. i always used to think when i heard people say about how they become 'addicted/obsessed' that i had a strong enough will power to never get that far. i then looked back to when i played runescape for 2-3 years a while ago and realise i was 100% wrong. i got all pissy with my family if they wanted me off it, didn't pay attention to school as much (thank god i stopped in year 9 lol) and wasted time when i couldv'e been out with mates. honestly not worth it.
    all your goals are long-term ones with little short-term ones inbetween which means it's easy to get caught up in it all. i know i only played runescape, but in style & concept they're very similar, but WoW is apparently MUCH worse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alvrae)
    take it from someone who wasted hours of there life playing that ****ty game. don't play it. i played from the original to most of the raids through level 80. you will lose your sole, chance of getting a missus and it will become your social life....

seriously; look up the following on doomhammer (allience) sever and youl;l see what started out as 2 hours a week turning into 6hours + a day thing;

Alvrae
    Thurru
    Lightgrenade
    Xanaia
    Liftrasa
    Lohnag
    Shamil
    Amarah
    and the list goes on for characters pre lvl-60, im pritty sure i had a few others but there the main people i played. racking up over 200 DAYS play time between them. (yes almost a year)

I ended up with 3 accounts and no life for a while, its amazing i managed to get myself a missus in that time.

Thank god my pc broke and i couldn't find the disks.
    Welcome back to reality me!
    I think im only one of a handful of survivors...
    Haha, I used to play in Eternal Gathering!

I have never heard of any of those people though...Do you know Saito?

I played since 2006 and recently quit this year. Trust me it's not worth it. Waste time on something useful. Yes I had good times with it and made friends which I still chat to on msn but it really is negative on the whole.

I played since vanilla and with each new content patch you realise that unless you raid you tend to have completed the content and it just becomes boring.

Trust me this is not a two week game. You can't be effective with only playing a couple of hours a day every few days.

ReputationRep:
      racking up over 200 DAYS play time between them. (yes almost a year).
      Comon, this is in game time, thats more like 400+ days wasted. Way over a year if played in 8 hour slots. How long was the /played on your main?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
      I don't play it but there was this thing on tv a while back about video game addiction.

Everyone said if they could go back they would never start playing.

So what if it's the holidays ? It's not a 2 week kind of game is it ?

I'm pretty sure if you start playing now it will affect your life negatively after the two weeks.
      That program was utterly rediculous. Like the asain woman who beat her kid and blames the game for making him shy away from her and stop doing work for school etc...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Witchita)
      That program was utterly rediculous. Like the asain woman who beat her kid and blames the game for making him shy away from her and stop doing work for school etc...

what about the korean lady who let her own child starve to death because she was playing WoW?

i think games are good, i love playing COD, Fifa, MoH, GTA etc. but certain games do have a MUCH stronger psychological impact than others. i could stop playing COD anytime i want, but with games like WoW/Runescape it's a lot harder PLUS it stays on your mind A LOT MORE.

an example might be that after i get off COD, unless i have a really good/bad game, i won't really think about it. however when i was playing runescape i would log out but it would still be fresh in my mind until i logged back in. i'd make plans of what to do and how to reach my long-term goals etc. if you start playing a game like WoW expect it to dominate a lot of your life!

having said that you might not like it anyway lulz :cool:

ReputationRep:
      Another 'lets all **** World of Warcraft' thread, I see.

Anyone who says that you cannot be successful at WoW without dedicating many hours in obviously delusional, ignorant and has never even heard of other grindfest mmos that originate out of Asia.

WoW is easily the most accessible MMO ever made. The earlier MMOs were pretty much very elite-oriented. A casual player in EQ probably never level capped.

The MMOs that have been released since WoW have mostly emulated WoW to one degree or another, but haven't quite pulled off the accessibility quite as well. LOTRO is maybe the closest, but a cramped character system and other factors cramp that game due to lore restrictions. Later releases like WAR and AoC just couldn't cut it in the quality/consistency department. EVE does well, but with a (larger now than it ever was) niche player base. And this is the reason to WoW's success in the MMO world - IT'S A CASUAL GAME. There are no two ways of putting it.

Now, if you want to really know a game that beckons it's players back and takes years from their lives go and read about EverQuest 2, where it can take a week or more of killing the same monsters over and over again just to gain one level.

On most gaming forums people know and understand this, but here people seem to thing that WoW is the most hardcore game ever and requires ungodly amounts of time to play - saying so in the aforementioned societies will not only get you ridiculed and flamed but also make you feel and look like a fool who knows nothing about PC gaming.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
      Haha, I used to play in Eternal Gathering!

I have never heard of any of those people though...Do you know Saito?
      not sure i havnt played since january this year. aloth that sounds like a mage XD. you might know my mate Cibus, was offered a place in EG but they played to much even for me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tompazr)
      Comon, this is in game time, thats more like 400+ days wasted. Way over a year if played in 8 hour slots. How long was the /played on your main?
      put it this way my alts where averaging 35 days on the ones previously mentioned. any way i no longer play that ***ty game.

ReputationRep:
      I tried playing it but it was so boring.
      Do not see why it's such a big thing.

But oh no stop while you can?! :|

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ministerdonut)
      It's the holidays and what with the weather Iam completely bored. I have nothing much to do until the evenings if I can get out at all due to all this effing snow so I figured I would entertain myself by buying wow and all the expansions.I rolled an orc warrior, and Iam more interested in pvp side of things. Iam a bit lost as there seems to be all this lingo when I visited the forums.

I don't know anyone who plays this game in real life, so any advice would be great.
      Quit now whiles I still have some respect for you

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chemical_bex)
      I tried playing it but it was so boring.
      Do not see why it's such a big thing.

But oh no stop while you can?! :|
      You probably only play until level 50 or something? The game doesn't really 'start' until you get level capped and after that is when you find yourself spending more and more time playing.

ReputationRep:
      racking up over 200 DAYS play time between them. (yes almost a year)
      In what world is 200 days almost a year? You do realise there are 365 days to the year? So you've racked up just over HALF a year.

Calling yourself a "survivor" makes you sound like a douche.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.