Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It's the one thing we might be best at the world at so I don't think we should discurage it.
    i disagree, we're good at football

agreed

ReputationRep:
    It's the one thing we might be best at the world at so I don't think we should discurage it.
    SADLY many people are the same..they all moan just about everything instead of being pro-active (doing something towards solving the problems they complain about) so no, definitely not, British people are not the best at this.
    Happy me, I'm one of those positive and pro-active people.

ReputationRep:
    Just another similar thing between Norwegians and Brits. Norwegians love to complain about everything as well. And has been called " a nation of moaners." (even though Norway is a very good place to live). That's probably why I'm complaining about it now, tehe. The weather is a very popular subject to talk/complain about! For some reason we manage to be very surprised when it snows. I live on the west coast, so it doesn't snow a lot here. It's more like Southern England. But people are still shocked when they see snow, and then they crash or something and blame the government. You're bound by law to change to winter tyres though.

Though luckily, even if many are surprised and there are accidents. Everything doesn't stop when we get any snow, and people don't go nutters. Last winter was insane, but then I saw loads of people skiing to work! People make the best of it, I think.'
    I think the airport in Oslo is on "top" when it comes to dealing with snow and such. It hardly ever closes down.

The UK is definitely not alone when it comes "moaning".

ReputationRep:
    We do moan a lot over little things. I think it is because we don't realise that there are people who are much worse off than us. For example, when parliament chose to raise tution fees, students were getting violent in protest. They didn't consider the fact that there are loads of people out there who will never be able to go to university in their lifetime, and there are loads more who will never learn to read and write - let alone go to university. Another point I'm going to make is that people moan about the weather when we do have enough resources to deal with it (heating, air con, etc). There are people in other countries who live in freezing/boiling conditions without heating/air-con.

I'm talking about the country on the whole. Next to no people in this country live in terrible conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)
    SADLY many people are the same..they all moan just about everything instead of being pro-active (doing something towards solving the problems they complain about) so no, definitely not, British people are not the best at this.
    Happy me, I'm one of those positive and pro-active people.
    I try not to moan all the time, but if I do I try and make sure I have a good reason for it and I try not to sound like an old whinge bag

ReputationRep:
    I try not to moan all the time, but if I do I try and make sure I have a good reason for it and I try not to sound like an old whinge bag
    That's good for you!

One of the things I believe in is that : When you don't like somebody/ a place/ an organization etc. you have two choices: Either to change it or leave it . The third option, "to remain in <<status quo>>" is a huge waste of time, energy, mental/physical health or even money!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I moan as much as I rant, though the two can be linked at times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostCompetitive)
    We do moan a lot over little things. I think it is because we don't realise that there are people who are much worse off than us. For example, when parliament chose to raise tution fees, students were getting violent in protest. They didn't consider the fact that there are loads of people out there who will never be able to go to university in their lifetime, and there are loads more who will never learn to read and write - let alone go to university. Another point I'm going to make is that people moan about the weather when we do have enough resources to deal with it (heating, air con, etc). There are people in other countries who live in freezing/boiling conditions without heating/air-con.

I'm talking about the country on the whole. Next to no people in this country live in terrible conditions.
    Have you seen the documentaries where you have people in the UK going over to be part of tribes in the world? The tribes always have a relaxed attitude with barely any (if any) worries at all. Yes the do labouring work etc, but they don't need to worry about education, because the way they live life is actually more subsistent then the lives of people in the western world.

The same can be said about a lot of under developed countries too, provided they aren't over populated, or under a dictatorship/ messed up government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    It pisses me off when the winter comes and every one complains that the government aren't doing enough so they can't get any where.

Did you buy snow tyres, or a car cover?
    Did you get a backup bottle of antifreeze?
    Did you buy stocks of dry food in cas you were snowed in?
    Did you make sure you have grit?

DID YOU KNOW WINTER WAS COMING AT ALL?

Ignorant people. Not everything can be left to the government
    Wise words Boobies, wise words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    The tribes always have a relaxed attitude with barely any (if any) worries at all. Yes they do labouring work etc, but they don't need to worry about education, because the way they live life is actually more subsistent then the lives of people in the western world.
    You're right - there are people who live better than people in the west because they don't have many worries. I was referring to people living in poverty who want a better lifestyle but have no chance of getting one. What I'm getting at is that we take everything for granted.

ReputationRep:
    For the UK - it would be unpatriotic if we didn't moan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01jtiong)
    Are we moaning too much of the weather

during the winter we moan its too cold

in the summer we moan that its too hot

is there no pleasing us

what do you think
    It is Human nature to never be happy with what we have... People in places with excellent weather would usually complain about the expensive healthcare...etc Just there is always something to moan about, the world is not, and will never be, perfect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.