Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I completely agree with bb193's statement - you need to be equally proficient with solving quadratics by factorising, CTS and the quadratic equation.

(Original post by Conal09)
    Can you just confirm this for me? So you have -2 1/2 and then, to get -5, you multiply through by 2? And in doing so you get 2(x-1)^2? That's where I went wrong in that method
    Sorry, couldn't reply earlier because I lost track of time and have to run (ice-skate?) to the bus stop to get into town!

Sorry if this explanation becomes patronising at any point, it isn't meant to be.

When you expand the brackets (a+b)^2, you get a^2 + 2ab + b^2.

What I've done is rewrite (x^2 - 2x) into a set of squared brackets. Hence the (x-1)^2. These two forms aren't actually equal - if you multiply out (x-1)^2 you'll have an extra +1 because of the (-1)*(-1) term. To make (x^2 - 2x) into (x-1)^2, we need to subtract 1 as well.

Hence, the (-1 - (3/2)). This multiplied by 2 gives (-2 - 3) = -5.

EDIT: I think that was possibly the least clear explanation I've ever given. PM if it still doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conal09)
    Can you just confirm this for me? So you have -2 1/2 and then, to get -5, you multiply through by 2? And in doing so you get 2(x-1)^2? That's where I went wrong in that method
    Pretty much.

2[(x-1)^2-1-\frac{3}{2}] = 0

What we want to do is multiply out the brackets so we can simplify it all. The 2 on the outside makes it really annoying to solve for x, because x is inside. To get rid of the 2 we can multiply everything inside the square brackets by 2. Do each bit one by one:

(x-1)² multiplied by 2 is 2(x-1)².
    -1 multiplied by 2 is -2
    -3/2 multiplied by 2 is -3

So what we have is:

2(x-1)²-2-3=0 which is the same as writing 2(x-1)²-5=0

You can then solve for x.

-------

Another way of doing it is straight away dividing both sides of 2[(x-1)^2-1-\frac{3}{2}] = 0 by 2, because all we want to do is get rid of the big 2 on the outside and this would do the trick nice and quickly.

If we pretend z=[(x-1)^2-1-\frac{3}{2}] you can see that the original equation could be written as 2z=0.

Dividing 2z by 2 would give you z, and dividing 0 by 2 would give you 0.
    So what you're left with is:

z=0;

(x-1)^2-1-\frac{3}{2}=0

Remember that 1 could be rewritten as \frac{2}{2}; -\frac{2}{2}-\frac{3}{2} = -\frac{5}{2}

Grouping all the numbers together on one side, and the x on the other side, you end up with:

(x-1)^2=\frac{5}{2}

ReputationRep:
    Btw: \sqrt\frac{5}2 is the same as root 5 over root 2. You get root 10 over 2 by multiplying top and bottom by root 2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.