Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    Innit brah. Why ****ing bother? I'm not proud that I get benefits, but I'll take them while they're offered to me. Unless I find a job I enjoy doing (and there are things I enjoy doing) I doubt I'll bother.
    I have various hobbies and interests that help me drive my mind further into insanity, and enough money to eat - what more could I need?

What work have you done since you graduated, what sort of stuff? And how was it?
    For the first 18 months-ish after graduating I had some stupid naive idea about not wanting to be reliant on my parents or on the state, and in that time did a total of about 6 months temporary work to pay for rent and food. I would work in some utterly menial temp job until I simply couldn't face the tedium any more without going postal (normally 4-6 weeks), then quit, then a few months later get another one.

I sorted letters for the post office, worked as a postman (covering permanent staff who were ill, on holiday or skiving, meaning a different round each day, usually on ****ty council estates all the permanent staff were avoiding, this was seriously the hardest job I have ever done, I was destroyed at the end of each day), did data entry, worked in call centres, worked in warehouses, worked in a factory, and worked as a binman (got sacked after 2 days!).

I've also had some junior roles in software development, which I quit after 9, 9, 5 and 5 months respectively. As with the temp work, I quit these jobs at the point I just couldn't face turning up any more due to the incredible tedium (endless bug fixing, bug triage, bug reporting, and faffing with making things line up on web pages) and endless ultra-micro-micro-management (work through these tickets in the bug tracker in this order, then submit your 6 line patches for review following these guidelines, then get told to change it even though you followed all the guidelines, then resubmit it, move on to next ticket, repeat). Also, with only a few exceptions, most of my work colleagues in these places were retards who actually enjoyed that stuff because it's computers and computers and the internet are cool and cutting edge and technological. To any prior work colleague who discovers this post: maybe you're one of the exceptions?

Also another 2 months of odd jobs here and there.

Even if someone had threatened me with prison or starvation I would still have quit every single job I ever had with no regrests (not that they would, obviously, quitting jobs is actually a bit of an anti-climax). To be fair, surely there are survivable (maybe even interesting?) roles in computing if you have a 2:1 in maths or computing from a top university, but I don't.

My favourite ever job was working as a receptionist, which I rather enjoyed when I covered someone for 3 days, though admittedly it would likely get boring if you did it for longer.

I don't like the way the above comes across as a rant. I'm not interested in advice or sympathy, just telling it how it is.

I'll tell you one job I enjoyed - after my A-levels I worked for three weeks assisting the care taker at a primary school (my mum's a teacher so I got it through her). It was actually really fun, different jobs every day and a great deal of freedom - so long as a certain end result was achieved, I could do stuff however I saw fit. Plus schools are quite fun places.

I had quite a bit of free time so used to go and sleep on gym mats in the hall, or climb on stuff and practice handstands. Once I even got a bus into town, watched Batman Begins, came back and no one knew I had gone
    Sounds good, but if you're in your early 20s with a good degree there's no way you can get a job like that...

Also: I find it bizarre that people are so unable to comprehend disliking work they assume this thread must be a troll, whilst if someone posts barely readable nonsense on the H&R or Politics forums they get a plethora of deeply serious, highly emotional replies.

ReputationRep:
    Suck dicks in an Egypt. OKay then

ReputationRep:
    :congrats: Well done, a real good use of your degree here.

ReputationRep:
    if you lazy graduates would WORK afterward and start putting the money that you owe back INTO the economy instead of sponging off of taxpayers money i reckon i wouldn't have to be paying £6000- £9000 a year for my education. *sighs*

(please don't think i'm some fifteen year old from that comment, i just started a levels a few years later because of personal issues.)

have you ever thought that maybe EVEN WITH a 1st degree you might have to work your way UP the career ladder? qualifications aren't everything you know, you have to have experience. maybe you should go to the doctors, depression and bi-polar can cause the sort of feelings you have about work.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deavinj)
    if you lazy graduates would WORK afterward and start putting the money that you owe back INTO the economy instead of sponging off of taxpayers money i reckon i wouldn't have to be paying £6000- £9000 a year for my education. *sighs*
    What money do I owe?

have you ever thought that maybe EVEN WITH a 1st degree you might have to work your way UP the career ladder?
    Of course, I know that. And I'm still unwilling to do it - there's no payoff at the end, I'll still undergo the horrors of aging and eventually cease to exist.

qualifications aren't everything you know, you have to have experience.
    Yes I do know, I realise that's why I am utterly unemployable.

maybe you should go to the doctors, depression and bi-polar can cause the sort of feelings you have about work.)

lol, well "I don't feel depressed", so I think I'm alright with that one, and as for bipolar, well I'm the most stable and level-headed person I have ever known. The the extent that I have no ambition or drive whatsoever.
    There are several popular "mental disorders" that I identify with, but not depression or bipolar.

ReputationRep:
    Come and join my club, guys.

I got all A*'s at GCSE, All A's at A-level, a 1st class degree in a science subject, and then since graduating in 2008 I've just sat on my arse in this very spot, haha.

When I go into a shop and see people working there, I feel panicked at the thought of doing their job. It's horrific, just the worst way to spend time. I worked in a factory once, for three days, then quit because it was just too awful. All jobs are disgustingly boring.

I guess I earn about £150/month from odd bits and pieces, but I'm on benefits for the rest, just living in a shared house of degenerates and no-hopers.

I applied for a handful of sciencey uni jobs at some point but got no response. They were only like 12k positions, barely worth doing anyway. I assume the best I could get is supermarket work, and there's no way I'm doing that. I'd sooner just **** off abroad and suck dicks in an Egypt for food.

know wat i meen?
    Lol .......... i can understand where your coming from. The thought of working 8 hour days for 12k a year isn't something which would make me jump out of bed in a morning. At the moment i'm on more than that, but the jobs only temporary.

Just the other day i met a recruitment agent ......... you know the kind, young, trendy and very attractive, but totally pretencious. She was bigging up a customer service job for 14k a year. I was sat there thinking, less money than what i'm on now, harder work, getting shouted at by customers all day, further to travel ................ NNooooooooo thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Come and join my club, guys.

I got all A*'s at GCSE, All A's at A-level, a 1st class degree in a science subject, and then since graduating in 2008 I've just sat on my arse in this very spot, haha.

I'd sooner just **** off abroad and suck dicks in an Egypt for food.

know wat i meen?
    :facepalm: Nuff said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    If you guys are regarding 12k/year jobs as 'low paid' then you need a kick up your asses for making lame excuses to get away from the world of work. 12k/year is £250 a week. I don't call that low pay unless someone wants to enlighten me.
    Hi

Depends what your hoping to buy with it. Try running a small house on that, you'll have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ithoughtofthis)
    :facepalm: Nuff said!

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Lol ........ while looking at the jobcentre website, i just came across a job for an apprentice garment sorter for £2.50 an hour ................... Companies really are taking the p*ss, i really can understand the OP's view. Who in their right mind would apply for this?

I mean, after you've finished your apprenticship, what the foooooooooooooook are you gonna do then? Its not like its going to lead into a highly paid, rewarding career

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree. I'm just not ready to become a slave to the wage yet. This is your life, you shouldn't waste it by doing what society expects you to. But you'll eventually find something that you want to do, that you wont think will waste your time. Don't get a horrible job in an office, become depressed and live a life a shadow of what you could be because you feel you have to do what society pushes you to.

ReputationRep:
    Your cracker problems ain't ****

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, you have to put in a lot of effort to find a good job. Decent jobs don't just land on your lap - you have to actively research sectors you are interested in and actively search for a decent job. They are out there.

ReputationRep:
    Look! It's Alex Epstein from The Apprentice!

ReputationRep:
    I love working

After being ill and in bed for over a year, I freaking love doing anything. I work pretty much non stop, I just couldn't laze around all day. I need to be doing something. When I was looking for a job I was volunteering, just to do something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I love working

After being ill and in bed for over a year, I freaking love doing anything. I work pretty much non stop, I just couldn't laze around all day. I need to be doing something. When I was looking for a job I was volunteering, just to do something.
    This is something else i disagree with ........... volunteering ......... why work for free? honestly, the bloke in charge would have been laughing at you, raking in the cash, drinking coffee while you do all the work for free. Oh sod it, lets all but the top few in charge work for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKguy29)
    This is something else i disagree with ........... volunteering ......... why work for free? honestly, the bloke in charge would have been laughing at you, raking in the cash, drinking coffee while you do all the work for free. Oh sod it, lets all but the top few in charge work for free.
    Even charity work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    If you guys are regarding 12k/year jobs as 'low paid' then you need a kick up your asses for making lame excuses to get away from the world of work. 12k/year is £250 a week. I don't call that low pay unless someone wants to enlighten me.
    know wat i meen?
    I know exactly what you mean and if anyone thinks 12k is a lot of money then they must be like 12 and their balls haven't dropped yet.

That 1k per month right? Wrong. You have to pay your rent and utility bills, say 300. 700 left. Then you need to pay council tax, say 100. 600 left. Now you need to pay income tax and national insurance. say 150. Now you have 350 left. If you work, you probably travel. Take 50 away. 300 left. You gotta eat, say 200 a month.Fool, you ONLY GET 100 after all the bare essentials each month.

You'd do just as well or better claiming dole/incapacity then housing benefit, council tax benefit then do a bit of drug dealing or cash in hand job.

Remember, the state pays all your essentials, so you'd only need do enough to get 100 per month, you could do that lying in bed instead of all the hassles of a 45 hour week including 10 hours commuting time.

As the OP says, for 12k, you might as go to Egypt and suck **** for a living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKguy29)
    It was for a non profit organisation.
    And I explained why.

ReputationRep:

(please don't think i'm some fifteen year old from that comment, i just started a levels a few years later because of personal issues.)

have you ever thought that maybe EVEN WITH a 1st degree you might have to work your way UP the career ladder? qualifications aren't everything you know, you have to have experience. maybe you should go to the doctors, depression and bi-polar can cause the sort of feelings you have about work.)
    after that comment how could we not?
    if you think unpaid tuition fees are what caused the deficit and causing a rise in fees then education is exactly where you need to be right now.
    unpaid tuition fees mean peanuts to the economy,did you know that unpaid foriegn congestion and parking fees are way over the amount of unpaid tuition fees?yea...thats how stupid your comment was.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.