Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I buy an iPad? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Ftw)
    Lol seriously man, you've gotta be kinding.. :|
    You ever actually used it for more than 5 minutes ?

Took me a day to get used to it. Not to mention being able to back all your notes up in an instant makes it really useful. Also how quickly you can sketch a diagram.

I used to think the IPad was a piece of crap until my brother bought one and I actually used it.

Technically it may be lacking compared to some others but I find it a joy to use.

I'm hoping they bring the next one out around the time I start university.

ReputationRep:
    The iPad is the iphone for the visually impaired imo. I used to have a netbook (Asus 1005PE) that Im now going to sell off. The laptop I am using now is an Acer 8371-942G25n (refurb). The reason why I've got this (£300) laptop is because my netbook couldn't really cope when Kaspersky started scanning. Any way, at the moment I'd recommend either the Asus 1015PEM(dual core N550 CPU) or a Timeline series from Acer. The reason being that these have good battery life which makes them useful in lectures and they also use less power, due to being more efficient

Bear in mind that the laptops I've chosen don't have disk drives so you'll need to buy an external drive

ReputationRep:
    I see the iPad as a big iPhone that can't do phoney things.

I think that the Dell Inspiron Duo is a nice idea...

ReputationRep:
    You'll never get an unbiased view on this website,
    considering the majority of people see it as some tablet PC or big iPhone, which it isn't at all.

And yes there are rumors of a new iPad with a camera and usb ports coming out.
    But seriously, using that thing as a camera is ridiculous to me, if you've held one in your hands, trying to maneuver it in the same way as a camera is stupid.
    I dont think Apple are going to upgrade it with a camera, but that's just my opinion.

The iPad is great for watching movies, reading newspapers, listening to music, reading books, note taking, browsing the web and many more.

yes you can get netbooks for half the price - but the battery life is around 2 hours max off power, plus they are so slow and ugly, and lumpy.

yes there are other alternative tablet pc's that do a lot more for less of the price - but the iPad is superior on build quality, longevity, simplicity. The app store is unrivalled. It's been critically acclaimed.
    The only real alternative is the Galaxy Tab.
    The battery life of the Galaxy tab is around 6 hours (with 3G off) and the iPad's is 9 hours equivalently, also it can't be charged via usb? So if you're travelling with it, you have to have a power source? That's crazy especially if you're on the plane or at the airport.
    The Galaxy tab has great things about it, but the Android tablet operating system isn't as well developed as Apple's. Further, Window's tablet PC's are just... poor.

Unless you try them all out you'll never really know what you prefer.

I would say the iPad though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miraclefish)
    I see the iPad as a big iPhone that can't do phoney things.

I think that the Dell Inspiron Duo is a nice idea...

This looks pretty impressive. Have you heard anything about these?

ReputationRep:
    Go and see a hooker instead, funner way to waste your money

ReputationRep:
    Toshiba have also released a dual touch screen laptop ie: so that you type on a screen, instead of a keyboard

Saying this; it is costly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    Even when you turn it on its side

you must have very big fingers. Me and practically everyone I know with an IPhone type really fast on that. So how can you struggle on the IPad ?
    Yes, very big. And hairy.

Put it this way... I can do 90WPM on a keyboard, on an iPad about 30ish... probably less than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    This looks pretty impressive. Have you heard anything about these?
    Indeed I have. On sale now. Dual core Atom 1.5GHz processor, 250GB hard drive, 10.1" 1366x768 screen, 2GB of memory, HD graphics accellerator for movies, WiFi and Bluetooth.

Not bad for £449 rrp.

ReputationRep:
    The dual core Atom's aren't really all that tbh. If you're not too interested in a 768p resolution, then Asus do have a cheaper solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldscollide)

Put it this way... I can do 90WPM on a keyboard, on an iPad about 30ish... probably less than that.
    Yeah well obviously it's faster on a keyboard.

My posts make me sound like an apple fanboy but in terms of laptops and desktops I normally go Windows.

For me I will probably go for an IPad simply because I prefer desktops. I would rather buy a desktop and an IPad than a laptop.

When I'm on the train/travelling or anywhere outside I would use the IPad to no end. Imagine having newspapers/books on demand as well as games.

Not to mention practical things like calendar/e-mail. Also the fact that it's easy as hell to carry. If I put it in my messenger bag I hardly even feel it's there. Much lighter than a pad and books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldscollide)

Like this?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I have. On sale now. Dual core Atom 1.5GHz processor, 250GB hard drive, 10.1" 1366x768 screen, 2GB of memory, HD graphics accellerator for movies, WiFi and Bluetooth.

Not bad for £449 rrp.
    Looks awesome. Maybe slightly more advanced than i need.

Archos seem to have some decent tablets. What do you think of this kind of thing? https://store.archos.com/archos-inte...et-p-5005.html

ReputationRep:
    Just give your iPod Touch a magic bean. It works, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Looks nice enough. Very like the Dell Streak. But I wonder what they're for. Tablets aren't quite anything, in my world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)

Like this?
    Yes but also this

ReputationRep:
    If I was to buy an IPad and I typed up work on it on iWork, how would I transfer these pages to a PC or laptop to be able to print them?

ReputationRep:
    Looks nice enough. Very like the Dell Streak. But I wonder what they're for. Tablets aren't quite anything, in my world...
    This is true. I guess they kinda fill the gap where the Laptop is too big and the iPhone is too small. They just looked like they would be useful in lectures. I'm only toying with the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Netbook? It would surely be harder to type on these things and more annoying. My laptop here is in fact an ultraportable

ReputationRep:
    It's a good bit of fun, but I'd never have paid for mine. I love sitting on the sofa and going on the internet (I have an HTC Desire, no slouch, but the internet on the iPad is way better, flash aside). But, again, it's an overlap technology. If you already have a laptop, there are so few uses for it that the laptop doesn't cover that it'd be a massive waste to buy one. Likewise, if you have nothing (how are you on here?) then the iPad's cool, but there's still so much you can't do.

Don't get me wrong, I love it - but it's a toy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.