Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't suppose anyone here is into black metal/doom/hardcore? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    I listen to hip-hop as much as I listen to metal to be honest. I'm into a lot of music. I'm "into" classical in as much that I can casually listen to radio 3 and name the famous pieces at The Proms, but not really. Theres nothing to be scared of here though haha. I specifically made this thread because its kind of the anti-metal scene and its overlooked, or at least it is around my area. The messages in modern black metal/doom/hardcore is what attracts me to it, there's nothing scary or hateful about it. Music this beautiful could have only made with love.
    That doesn't extend to quite a worrying amount of the bm I listen to, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    Black metal, I like 1349, Marduk and some of the earlier Dimmu Borgir stuff
    Doom, only band I really listen to is Rwake
    Don't listen to any hardcore

Is there any good Doom stuff you can recommend?
    Some to get you started:

Electric Wizard
    Om
    YOB
    Ufommamut
    Cathedral
    Sleep
    Groan
    Orange Goblin
    Witchfinder General

These are more stonery bands, but that's just how I like my doom, cos I'm not cool. Doom is a really broad label thesedays anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yituool)
    The inclusion of Godflesh, Isis and Jesu makes this the best post I've ever seen on TSR

I'm gonna take this **** to the next level. Let's post last fms, *****es.

http://www.last.fm/user/thrashster
    Haha, I ****ing love Isis. I got to see them live just over a year ago and they were just... well, words fail me. I have literally worn my t-shirt I bought that night into the ground haha. Truly gutted they are disbanded

Anyway here's my last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/tjmlewis. Its pretty desolate though because it doesn't scrobble from itunes, which is what I use for listening to music most of the time, it only scrobbles from Foobar so everything scrobbled has purposely been scrobbled by myself when I have physically opened up Foobar and last.fm and listened to music on purpose. I usually just have itunes on shuffle in the background which would give a less biased view of my music taste. I need to get round to sorting that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    Haha, I ****ing love Isis. I got to see them live just over a year ago and they were just... well, words fail me. I have literally worn my t-shirt I bought that night into the ground haha. Truly gutted they are disbanded

Anyway here's my last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/tjmlewis. Its pretty desolate though because it doesn't scrobble from itunes, which is what I use for listening to music most of the time, it only scrobbles from Foobar so everything scrobbled has purposely been scrobbled by myself when I have physically opened up Foobar and last.fm and listened to music on purpose. I usually just have itunes on shuffle in the background which would give a less biased view of my music taste. I need to get round to sorting that out.
    I'd give away my beautiful curly locks to see Isis live. A reunion is very much needed.

Excellent taste homeslice, I'll hit you up with an add

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    ^ You're such a tart

*****es love doom, *****es love hardcore, right? So therefore *****es LOVE sludge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmrChMHfr0

ReputationRep:

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Glassjaw are ace, and the shape of punk to come is one of the best albums of all time.

I'm listening mainly to architects, rolo tomassi and dillinger at the moment, and Lower than Atlantis new album which is sort of more grungey than hardcore.
    Glassjaw are quality but I can't be arsed with them much anymore. Just waited too long and been disappointed too many times with regards to new material being released. Their first album still holds a special place in my heart, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, love hardcore and doom. Ufomammut's latest album is a must. And of course anything from the Wizard. Atavist too. Superheavy-era Melvins is actually some of my favourite sludge, but one of my very favourite albums of all is Exam's Whitest of Elephants. Perfect sludgey goodness.

As for hardcore, Curl Up and Die are probably my favourite. Although I must admit to having something of a guilty pleasure in Graf Orlock, they're fantastic.

Above all else though, I'd suggest Khanate. Bleak as ****

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking about new school hardcore, or the real stuff?

This is hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CGbjW9XGUA

ReputationRep:
    Does Opeth count as Doom Metal? I have heard them referred to as such before but I don't really know anything about that genre.

I love Opeth though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Does Opeth count as Doom Metal? I have heard them referred to as such before but I don't really know anything about that genre.

I love Opeth though
    I'd call them progressive death; that's certainly the label that gets attached to them.

Such an amazing band. Have you listened to Bloodbath?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I'd call them progressive death; that's certainly the label that gets attached to them.

Such an amazing band. Have you listened to Bloodbath?
    I heard some stuff but I didn't get that into to be honest. I'm not massively into the whole extreme metal thing - just really a few bands that I like.

ReputationRep:
    I heard some stuff but I didn't get that into to be honest. I'm not massively into the whole extreme metal thing - just really a few bands that I like.
    Fair enough. I totally bum Michael's vocals though. Best DM growl as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Fair enough. I totally bum Michael's vocals though. Best DM growl as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah, I completely agree - I mean for at a basic level, the vocals are fairly clear which is unusual but then he seems to have massive control. The only person who can make growling actually beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    lolwut, admitting your ignorance and then going and proclaiming him god of all DM VOKILLZZZzz. Hah. People are dumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    lolwut, admitting your ignorance and then going and proclaiming him god of all DM VOKILLZZZzz. Hah. People are dumb.
    Errrmmm... I originally said that I liked Opeth and I love his vocals, particularly as featured within the context of that band. I then said I didn't really like a different band that he is in...

... I don't see the contradiction there. I mean I don't know all the genre-nazi words for everything but I have heard a lot of music with growling vocals in it.

ReputationRep:
    Wolves in the Throne Room

ReputationRep:
    mainly into death/black metal and heavy/traditional, and some 60's/70's hard rock.

Saw Mayhem live on Saturday! Other fave bands are Drudkh, dark fortress, wolves in the throne room, emperor, burzum, dismember, entombed, suffocation, anaal nathrakh, rainbow, black sabbath, dio, pink floyd, queen, led zep, slayer. last fm is johngebreadman if you want to see more of them.

ReputationRep:
    Errrmmm... I originally said that I liked Opeth and I love his vocals, particularly as featured within the context of that band. I then said I didn't really like a different band that he is in...

... I don't see the contradiction there. I mean I don't know all the genre-nazi words for everything but I have heard a lot of music with growling vocals in it.
    Shut your goddamn filthy whore mouth

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.