Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Missus refuses to go on the pill..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Her body, her choice. The pill can also make you put on weight and mess up your periods, so maybe she doesn't want that either?

You don't have much say in this really. If you want to have sex with her, you'll have to wrap it up, I'm afraid.
    you clearly dont knowanything
    the pill is used to help regulate periods, weight gain has no actual link to the pill and in some cases causes weigh loss

OP, id say get her to look at the infomation out there, if shes still unhappy with the pill despite the millions on it, then try nd convince her for the insert thing which is meant to be even more reliable

ReputationRep:
    Be a LAD and slap her across the face.

Then say, "*****, swallow that pill."

http://173.192.34.116-static.reverse...1286299058.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why you're giving in so easily. You don't want use condoms (as a female, even I can say that they are disgusting) and she doesn't want use any other form of contraception? Why does her choice automatically overrule yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    This is how I feel - the less pills/extra hormones the better. I'm worried though because condoms alone aren't as effective as if you took both... I don't want patches/injections or that stufff because of the hormones too + implants and stuff not so much either
    If condoms are used properly they are a safe and an effective method of contraception I think. I've relied on condoms for 5 years and have never had one split or any pregnancy scares.

I don't see any advantage of going on the pill whatsoever :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The implant is amazing, providing she wouldn't get any side effects. I had it for 3 years then got rid of it because I couldn't be bothered with one of the side effects that it caused for me anymore.. but it worked rather well at the time!

If she doesn't want to go on the pill, you can't make her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaargh)
    ...if you use more than 4 times the recommended dose. And lets face it, everything's carcinogenic; more particular to this debate, almost all latexes and spermicides. Hell, sex itself is probably carcinogenic.
    Maybe so.

But I still think if a woman is aware of a risk and does not want to increase her risk then she shouldn't feel like she has to because it "feels nicer".

It's a peace of mind factor more than anything else.

Plus, the length of time a woman would be exposed to the carcinogenic effects of latex is much less than ingesting a hormone on a daily basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    the pill is used to help regulate periods, weight gain has no actual link to the pill and in some cases causes weigh loss
    GTFO, You've clearly never tried different methods of contraception and known what affect they have on you, you'd know it affects people differently

Hate it when guys presume they know things about this stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I've heard of the pill making people put on weight, but never causing cancer. Maybe she doesn't want to get fat? Or scared by a scare story she read on the internet? ie: Technically, sun cream can give you cancer, but the risk is minute.
    Nah, it's true. There's a little information booklet thing that comes in the pill box which says there can be a link between using the pill and breast cancer...I even think there's a little graph on it... 0.o

ReputationRep:
    It may ever so slightly increase the risk of breast cancer, but it's also proven to reduce the risk of other cancers. So it's up to your gf to do enough research into it, rather than saying 'urgh, it gives you cancer' - which is just a silly thing to say really.

Saying 'it gives you cancer and makes you infertile' is simply an uneducated statement. It's completely reactionary to her fear of the unknown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    GTFO, You've clearly never tried different methods of contraception and known what affect they have on you, you'd know it affects people differently

Hate it when guys presume they know things about this stuff
    lol, well i clearly know more than you, with my ex contraception was a joint desission, she was nervous so i helped her decide, went from pill to insert
    had about 3 gfs go on the pill now and no weight gain or any real negative effects

google the side effects and different uses before posting, then i wont have to have this kinda disturbing discussion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    Basically my girlfriend is refusing to go onto the pill - we've talked about it twice & don't think its a good idea to do it again too soon.

She's a bio student and read up on it, and shes convinced that the pill will give her cancer & make her infertile. Can anyone confirm this?

I know its her choice etc, but i hate using condoms, and she's not a fan of them either
    i think the real reason is that she doesn't trust me

Thanks
    It's not true that the pill will make you infertile, there is not scientific evidence to suggest this to be true (as far as I know). As for the cancer, there is evidence to suggest that there is a slight increase in risk of breast cancer, but it is a very small increase.

If your girlfriend is adamant that she does not want to go on the pill there are other methods including the implant, so you do not need to worry about taking pills at regular intervals, but you should suggest going to a doctor to see what is best for both of you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    Basically my girlfriend is refusing to go onto the pill - we've talked about it twice & don't think its a good idea to do it again too soon.

She's a bio student and read up on it, and shes convinced that the pill will give her cancer & make her infertile. Can anyone confirm this?

I know its her choice etc, but i hate using condoms, and she's not a fan of them either
    i think the real reason is that she doesn't trust me

Thanks
    if anything, she probably doesnt trust herself! i dont you have to take it at the exact same time everyday and im useless at it personally! hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    The implant is amazing, providing she wouldn't get any side effects. I had it for 3 years then got rid of it because I couldn't be bothered with one of the side effects that it caused for me anymore.. but it worked rather well at the time!

If she doesn't want to go on the pill, you can't make her.
    This. I've had no periods since March. more effective than the pill because you can't throw it up or forget to take it.

Condoms suck :/

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps read up on it yourself and provide counter arguements, or consider things like the implant, coil or injection? I know that the injection is very popular? good luck, don't pressure her in to anything, but if neither of you like condoms you'll have to think of another way?

ReputationRep:
    Whilst cancer (never heard of becoming infertile as a side effect though:lolwut:) is apretty low-risk side effect the pill can wreak havock on a girl's body - she could get anything from frequent headaches, irregular bleeding or weight gain (etc) and it can increase the risk of getting deep vein thrombosis and other crap like that.

I fail to see how her not taking the pill = her not trusting you?

You're just going to have to find an alternative method, you can't force someone to take pills if they're not comfortable with it :dontknow: But I'd suggest telling her to research it more, many women use the pill and are absolutely fine - cancer is only an increased risk rather than a definite side effect.

ReputationRep:
    My gf does not want to go on this as well, since she has family history of various cancers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    There are other forms of contraception than the pill or condoms.
    i agree.

i wouldnt go on the Pill because it is an abortifacent and therefore goes against my beliefs. but i also dislike the idea of condoms. it can also increase risk of breast cancer, put on weight, heavier/painful periods, nausea, vomiting, migranes, body hair growth etc

if you two are serious and want to marry, i recommed the rhythm method - now you can buy kits which test levels ofhormones in discharge and saliva which are 90%+ accurate. no side effects!

or there is the diapragm, IUD or implant? get her to talk to the doc.

ReputationRep:

OP, id say get her to look at the infomation out there, if shes still unhappy with the pill despite the millions on it, then try nd convince her for the insert thing which is meant to be even more reliable
    what??? you clearly dont know what your talking about!!!

the pill CAN regulate periods, but it can also mess them up - some months you can go with no periods, then suddenly have the downpour from hell clots and all, feeling like your stomach is turning inside out with cramps 3 months later.

and yes, it CAN cause weight gain - it messes up your hormones by tricking the body to thinking you are pregnant, you can have a massive increase in appetite. it can also cause weight loss - when i was on logynon i was sooooo sick and nauseous i couldnt smell food and could only lie in my bed.

im speaking form experience of the following pills: logynon, miscrogynon, cilest, dianette, marvelon, some green one and a couple others (i was taking it for acne in my teens)

ReputationRep:
    lol, well i clearly know more than you, with my ex contraception was a joint desission, she was nervous so i helped her decide, went from pill to insert
    had about 3 gfs go on the pill now and no weight gain or any real negative effects

google the side effects and different uses before posting, then i wont have to have this kinda disturbing discussion
    I'm female, I've been on the pill, Most of my friends are on the pill.
    It affects all girls differently. Idiot.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.