Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    Racism works both ways, you know?
    QTF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    FAIL- the egyptians were black when these things were invented

not that it matters. Calm down OP, stop seeing things in black and white. See what i did there
    There's a big debate about this. But I have never seen evidence to show that the Egyptians were black.

They did paint black people - Nubians, who they fought and enslaved. They painted themselves with middley-coloured skin.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the fact that this guy's Nigerian.

You do realize Black people have invented a lot of things too right? Do your research.

But who gives a **** which race invented what?

It's a HUMAN RACE so in the end the inventions benefit us all.

/thread and your life.

ReputationRep:
    Get off tsr.

Get some sex.

Get over race.

Eee!k!

ReputationRep:
    Nigerians only ever invented internet scams, so STFU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Egyptians wern't 'black', they were mostly semetic. Go and look at Egyptians nowadays, no were in Egypt are there black people. Most North African people aren't black.
    Thats because around 500BC black africans were driven out of north africa by greeks and persians. The ancient egyptians described themselves as darker than the libyans and asiatics. They also had a lot of conflict between the nubians who were also black. Dont mess with me mate, i know what im talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    There's a big debate about this. But I have never seen evidence to show that the Egyptians were black.

They did paint black people - Nubians, who they fought and enslaved. They painted themselves with middley-coloured skin.
    Yup theres huge debate about it. But its very unlikely that ancient egyptians looked like modern day egyptians, especially in the south of egypt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balface)
    QTF.
    Quoted tor fruth?
    Quoted truth for?
    Quot the f***?
    ¿Qué the f***?

:pierre::turban::hide:

ReputationRep:
    So, if I've got this right a racist is arguing with a select few racists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    There is no such thing as White people or black people or blue people or whatever inventions. There are inventions made by either one person or a small group of people that happen to be a certain ethnicity of nationality. This is their achievement and not anybody else's. Just because someone has achieved success and you happen to have something in common with them that does not give you the right to freeload on their accomplishments!

Oh and yeh racism does work both ways! So fill that chip on your shoulder OP! This isn't the 1920s anymore, nobody gives a damn about your skin colour.

If you are going to neg rep me a least provide an explanation!
    Very good point :yy:

ReputationRep:
    There is more variation among chimpanzees than there is among humans. We are so similar that these debates are so frivolous, and only perpetuate the idea of race and hence racism.

Furthermore, you can't really say that anyone 'invented' anything, or than any particular nation 'invented' anything. Invention is the culmination of collective human knowledge at that time, if someone didn't invent it, someone else eventually would have done so. "Standing on the shoulders of giants" as Isaac Newton would have put it.

ReputationRep:
    Thats because around 500BC black africans were driven out of north africa by greeks and persians. The ancient egyptians described themselves as darker than the libyans and asiatics. They also had a lot of conflict between the nubians who were also black. Dont mess with me mate, i know what im talking about
    Lol no historian believes that Egyptians were the same racially as central, western or southern Africans. I'm not going to argue becuase you obviously don't know what you are tlakign about.

Also black people ahve invented nothing. Oh wait, crack cocaine was invented in the Bahamas so that is one thing, although white people live there aswel so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    What's white on top and black on bottom?
    A white person's shadow?

ReputationRep:

You can see that they saw themselves differently from black Africans. They saw themselves as paler than them..

Syrian, Nubian, Libyan, Egyptian

p.s. Why can't I get images on here?

ReputationRep:
    Lol no historian believes that Egyptians were the same racially as central, western or southern Africans. I'm not going to argue becuase you obviously don't know what you are tlakign about.

Also black people ahve invented nothing. Oh wait, crack cocaine was invented in the Bahamas so that is one thing, although white people live there aswel so...
    I suggest you look up this topic because you are very ignorant on the topic. No historian belives it do they? Haha, yeah run away mate, if you arent willing to discuss this sensibly then i think this conversation is over. Look it up :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

What have you achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NigerianStudent)
    Usually any time I get into a debate with a white person and they see I am getting the better of the debate they will usually pull out two things

1) White People’s Invention And Creations 2) Race and IQ

First off I always find funny that when I point out the bad that whites have done, whites are quick to point out how other people have done it too. Like with the slave trade they quickly point out that Africans and Arabs did it too.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT SUDDENLY MATTERS

But when it comes to the good things, like inventions, white people act like they are the only ones then

HISTORICAL CONTEXT SUDDENLY DOES NOT MATTER

Indeed white people’s inventions And creations and Race and IQ are usually the two main arguments that whites will use to prove how they are the most progressive and advanced of all the races.

White people will talk about there inventions for 3 reason

1. To show that whites are the best – regardless of how much racism they have have practised.
    2. To change the subject. It is a great way to derail any argument about white racism: blacks hate this argument and will jump on it, quickly forgetting whatever they were talking about before. (I have done this myself)
    3. To point out that x would not even be possible without white people. For example, when arguing about how racist a programme is, whites will sometimes try to end the argument by pointing out that it was whites who invented the TV in the first place.

What is wrong with this argument:

If inventions “prove” one part of mankind is better than all the rest, then the Chinese and black people have a way better claim than whites. White people would be nowhere without four Chinese inventions : Gunpowder, The Compass, Paper and the Printing press. Whites rise to world power was built on these.

In fact, before 1500 there were very few white inventions but plenty of Chinese and Egyptian ones.The Egyptians invented civilization itself along with stuff like writing, calendars, irrigation, mining, first to study Math, first to build modern cities and so on.

However I will not deny whites there inventions and a lot of the inventions of the past few hundred years were made by white people. But that is only because they have been on top in that time. If it’s because white ppl are born with more intelligent, then white people would have been on top all throughout history – not just a fifth of it. British and American power – is fresh in our thoughts, but it’s just the latest chapter in the book of history.

Onto Race and IQ next.
    You've met some seriously f***ed up white people if this is all you end up talking about. But then maybe you just tend to steer the conversation this way.
    I've never had a conversation like this with anyone, online or in real life. I think you need to stop looking at it like people are trying to get the better of each other. Look at the similarities not the differences.
    This kind of talk is what fuels racism.

ReputationRep:
    Yup theres huge debate about it. But its very unlikely that ancient egyptians looked like modern day egyptians, especially in the south of egypt.
    There's also nothing I've seen which suggests that they were black African.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NigerianStudent)
    Usually any time I get into a debate with a white person and they see I am getting the better of the debate they will usually pull out two things

1) White People’s Invention And Creations 2) Race and IQ

First off I always find funny that when I point out the bad that whites have done, whites are quick to point out how other people have done it too. Like with the slave trade they quickly point out that Africans and Arabs did it too.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT SUDDENLY MATTERS

But when it comes to the good things, like inventions, white people act like they are the only ones then

HISTORICAL CONTEXT SUDDENLY DOES NOT MATTER

Indeed white people’s inventions And creations and Race and IQ are usually the two main arguments that whites will use to prove how they are the most progressive and advanced of all the races.

White people will talk about there inventions for 3 reason

1. To show that whites are the best – regardless of how much racism they have have practised.
    2. To change the subject. It is a great way to derail any argument about white racism: blacks hate this argument and will jump on it, quickly forgetting whatever they were talking about before. (I have done this myself)
    3. To point out that x would not even be possible without white people. For example, when arguing about how racist a programme is, whites will sometimes try to end the argument by pointing out that it was whites who invented the TV in the first place.

What is wrong with this argument:

If inventions “prove” one part of mankind is better than all the rest, then the Chinese and black people have a way better claim than whites. White people would be nowhere without four Chinese inventions : Gunpowder, The Compass, Paper and the Printing press. Whites rise to world power was built on these.

In fact, before 1500 there were very few white inventions but plenty of Chinese and Egyptian ones.The Egyptians invented civilization itself along with stuff like writing, calendars, irrigation, mining, first to study Math, first to build modern cities and so on.

However I will not deny whites there inventions and a lot of the inventions of the past few hundred years were made by white people. But that is only because they have been on top in that time. If it’s because white ppl are born with more intelligent, then white people would have been on top all throughout history – not just a fifth of it. British and American power – is fresh in our thoughts, but it’s just the latest chapter in the book of history.

Onto Race and IQ next.
    We also invented spelling. Don't be mad at us just because we were "born with more intelligent".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)

You can see that they saw themselves differently from black Africans. They saw themselves as paler than them..

Syrian, Nubian, Libyan, Egyptian

p.s. Why can't I get images on here?
    You do realise that not all black people are the same colour. Granted egyptians wouldnt have been the same colour as central africans, but most likely they were darker than modern day egyptians (especiall in central/southern egypt)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.