Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HAVING A JURY: useless, undemocratic and simple Watch

ReputationRep:
    By the extension of this argument, only those with X amount of knowledge should be allowed to vote. Do you agree that not everybody should be allowed to vote? And what would you say is X?

ReputationRep:
    If a law is so complicated that a team of 12 jurors can't understand it, what hope do the rest of us have in abiding by it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    If a law is so complicated that a team of 12 jurors can't understand it, what hope do the rest of us have in abiding by it?
    I'm sure you can do better than this.

ReputationRep:
    A jury makes it more democratic.
    You take twelve random people who have been picked from the general public, who have been vetted and cleared and who have been shown to have no relation or connection to the judge, the defendent(s) or the legal team on either side and you sit them down and let them be bombarded with arguments from either side.

I think it's quite fair. Also I think they are quite often supported quite well by the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calannra)
    Do not state that my logic is stupid!
    in two posts you have been able to concisely summarize your stupidity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    By the extension of this argument, only those with X amount of knowledge should be allowed to vote. Do you agree that not everybody should be allowed to vote? And what would you say is X?
    Well, that's essentially the point isn't it? I mean that's why people say democracy is the worst form of government except all others. It's not ideal (or even good), but at the end of the day, it's dangerous to go down the non-democratic route, and for similar reasons, why a jury exists - so that the law is not placed in the hands of a privileged few who may abuse their powers.

ReputationRep:
    So you wish our fate to be decided by one man? The jury are there so we are tried by our peers. they are supposed to reflect society and the morals that it has. if we took our justice by having one man who has no idea what it is like to live in the real world then our justice system would not be very good.

I like the system we have, i think the main issue id that sometimes on a jury you will have someone who shouts untill everyone else agrees with them. Also the judges need to do their jobs better by directing the jury correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    One is supposed to trust the random findings of 12 lay folk over our marvellously evolved legal system of common and statute law? There's as much intellect in what they do as watching an episode of Taggart and deciding "she did it."
    I agree but still stand by my point. Also if we didn't have juries the system would be ridiculously open to corruption. And where prison sentences or large sums of money are involved, you can bet there'd be corruption.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know it's pretty democratic and fair.

I have to say, I love the film "Twelve Angry Men" starring Henry Fonda.
    It's a truly fantastic film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    So legally trained people can't be jurors:confused:

I don't trust the average muppet off the street to objectively and dispassionately assess evidence, and someone has already stated why having 12 muppets is not much better than 1.
    Oops I made a mistake, the law changed a while ago. But before that, lawyers were not allowed to sit on juries.

But the point stands, there won't ever be a jury with a majority of/all legally trained persons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.