Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    O-

Don't take my blood :ninja:
    I know what you mean. :-)

I have 0- too.

We can give blood to everybody but can only receive 0-, which is by the way the rarest type. But that is the reason for me to donate my blood. I don´t get money for it but a friendly smile, kind words and something to eat and drink for free. :-) It is just enough for me to save lives with just a few of my own blood, which I can give for free. I would engage everybody to do that. Maybe you will be in bthe situation that you will need it some time.

So I change the poll. who of you donates blood?

ReputationRep:
    actually saying AB seems to ring a bell with me....Im pretty sure Im AB- but with + antibodies... hence a screwed up blood type... apparently its something to my mum being positive and my dad being negative or whatevers....there again saying that is it possible to be AO? if so I might be that instead...

ReputationRep:
    I'm A+.......and regularly donate blood

ReputationRep:
    I don't know they never told me - how do I find out?

ReputationRep:
    A-
    Strange coincidence so is the milkman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    IB+

"As in I BE POSITIVE YOU AINT TOUCHIN ME WITH NO NEEDLE!"

- The Truman Show

But seriously, it's A+. Just under a third of the population of the UK have this.
    Really? Could've sworn that was from Bruce Almighty :holmes:

Anyway, i don't know what blood type i am, but my parents are AO and BO so i could be anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    actually saying AB seems to ring a bell with me....Im pretty sure Im AB- but with + antibodies... hence a screwed up blood type... apparently its something to my mum being positive and my dad being negative or whatevers....there again saying that is it possible to be AO? if so I might be that instead...
    You can have A and O alleles, but you can't be type O unless you have 2 O alleles, so you would be type A if you did. There Is only A, B, AB, and O (with +ves/-tve too).

ReputationRep:
    O+

ReputationRep:
    A-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/five.gif

AB+ for the win! Plus, we're amongst the rarest :awesome:
    Thats a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    You can have A and O alleles, but you can't be type O unless you have 2 O alleles, so you would be type A if you did. There Is only A, B, AB, and O (with +ves/-tve too).
    Ah Ive no idea! Should probably have paid more attention in biology class

ReputationRep:
    O+
    The universal donor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    O-

Don't take my blood :ninja:
    O- actually means you cannot accept anyone elses blood, but you can donate to everyone else since your blood cells contains no antigens that can cause an immune response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaMaria)
    O+
    The universal donor
    O- is the universal donor actually. Anyone that is -ve for the Rh factor will produce anti-Rh antibodies, thus destroying your erythrocytes.

ReputationRep:
    O+, the most common.

ReputationRep:
    A-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    O- is the universal donor actually. Anyone that is -ve for the Rh factor will produce anti-Rh antibodies, thus destroying your erythrocytes.
    I see. I just learnt that in basic biology, that I am antigenically naked haha, but good to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    O- actually means you cannot accept anyone elses blood, but you can donate to everyone else since your blood cells contains no antigens that can cause an immune response.
    I realise that. Hence the 'don't take my blood' comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Thats a bad thing.
    Not when you're the universal recipient :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.