Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you like your teeth? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My teeth used to be... just horrendous. Honestly, I do not know why they were like they were. The top front teeth grew pointing AWAY from eachother and the two either side grew down side ways. And all the others grew with massive gaps between them.
    And my lower teeth grew crowded, over lapping and just... a total disaster zone.

I had 12 teeth removed (some of my baby teeth just never fell out... I had 10 baby teeth at the age of 14 :sad:), 2 years of a retainer to widen my jaw then 2 years of braces. And now my teeth actually look normal .

So yes, I am happy. (Just about)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really hate my teeth- I have a gap between my two front teeth so I never smile, and often cover my mouth whn I laugh..
    I really want to get braces but my mum says it's not 'necessary', and I don't know how to persuade her to let me get them (I'm fifteen so it would free).

Does it turn you off when a girl has a gap between her teeth?
    Any advice? Do you like your teeth?
    I've never had any issues really with my teeth, other than being obsessed with them not being yellow. I wouldn't worry about a gap, it's endearing But if you do really hate it then I would try to get across that you are really unhappy about it to your mum, and maybe she'll take you more seriously x

ReputationRep:
    I used to like my teeth after having braces when I was a teenager as they were so straight, but then they started moving back and looked terrible again.

I felt so self-conscious so I made the decision to have braces again and its the best decision Ive made (despite the cost!!), had them one since June and the bottom ones are straight again, top ones are nearly there too. Cant wait to have them off

ReputationRep:
    HAHA funny Q but Neither do I.
    Starting my treatment in Feb !!
    Yeah u should get it done while its free.

ReputationRep:
    How apt. I'm supposed to be picking up my clear retainer things which will move my teeth tomorrow, but it's ****ing snowing again. diugbtqiwndigsabruq2ribw

ReputationRep:
    ****, this reminds me, I've got the dentist tomorrow. fml

Regardless; I like my teeth. Sure they're a touch off-colour sometimes, but no-one's perfect.
    You get the hand you're dealt, and always play the cards close to your chest.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Getting braces is about one of the best choices I ever made. All the better that they're invisible!

ReputationRep:
    I've never had braces but i gotta say my teeth are probably my best features.
    They're so damn straight and really white ..Everyone always comments on them and ask me if i've had braces
    I once got asked to be on a colgate advert ..I think its because im black lol

(Original post by Ronda)
    I used to hate my teeth - they were really overcrowded and my canines (?) were like halfway up my gum (like the bottom of them was where the top of my other teeth were). I was told I'd have to wear braces for 3 years but it ended up only being just over a year cause they moved really quickly. Now I love my teeth and I'm so glad I had my braces, even if I had to wear them till I was 18. I need to get 2 wisdom teeth taken out this year though, apparently I have 6 instead of 4 lol.
    A girl I know has this, but she still has the baby teeth under. Wisdom teeth are supposed to hurt when they are getting taken out, mine have not even grown properly yet. How did you get your braces? Did you just suggest it to your dentist?

ReputationRep:
    I HATE my teeth.
    They're nice and straight. And they look nice when I smile.
    But where they meet at my gums they look wrong. And I hate pictures of myself laughing.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, your mum won't let you get braces? Just tell her how you'd feel a lot better in your appearance if you got some. My bottom teeth are actually perfect. They're nice and straight and my top teeth would be perfect as well but four of them are just a bit well not so straight. I have a gap between my two front teeth as well but it's less than a milimetre so not really noticeable. I want braces for my top teeth. :] And there are loads of models with gaps in their teeth btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really hate my teeth- I have a gap between my two front teeth so I never smile, and often cover my mouth whn I laugh..
    I really want to get braces but my mum says it's not 'necessary', and I don't know how to persuade her to let me get them (I'm fifteen so it would free).

Does it turn you off when a girl has a gap between her teeth?
    Any advice? Do you like your teeth?
    I have a gap between my two front teeth too. I couldn't have braces on the nhs (they said it wasn't extreme enough, but it is... think Madonna). I'm actually learning to like it though, my teeth are white and straight, yeah they aren't perfectly Hollywood; but what is? It may seem like a big deal to you, but others may not have even noticed. If you really don't like it, then it's your decision to get braces. Your mother has nothing to do with it really.

ReputationRep:
    i love my teeth. i had braces for ages when i was younger and it's SO worth it. they're perfectly straight and white now.

i've used crest white strips a few times.. would recommend them to anyone who wants whiter teeth! they really do work.

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely detest my teeth, the colour of them isn't that bad, but i've been waiting three years to get braces put on where the orthodontist wouldn't take anymore NHS patients so i had to go to the local hospital and they have huge waiting lists. but i should be getting them on in jan. its just two of my near front teeth one of them sticks out too much and the one next to it goes behind my lower tooth.

recently i had a lot of work done on them, i had a filling on one of my bottom back teeth, and i'm part way through root canal on the lower one opposite that, i have to have one more tooth taken out but i also had a tooth taken out above the lower one i had the filling on which took TWO HOURS, three dentists and seven injections because of the way the roots were positioned. and then i got something called dry socket from it which is where the blood doesn't clot around the hole and leaves the bone and nerve endings exposed to air, food, water. it absolutely KILLED, it was the worst pain i have ever been in and i had to take a month out of school and work. so yeah i HATE these ****ers ¬.¬

ReputationRep:
    get your dentist to refer you through to your local NHS orthodentist, all your mum has t do is sign the papers on the first appointment and if your teeth are bad enough you get them free, don't leave it too late though, cause once you turn 16 (i think) you dont get them free so make sure you get the papers signed before.

i had braces and my teeth still look funny though (just cause i am missing three teeth, two incisors from the top and one from the bottom)

ReputationRep:
    I don't like my teeth. One of my adult teeth grew at a funny angle so when I smile it looks like I've got a tooth missing sometimes. I had a baby tooth taken out when I was 16/17 as it just wouldn't fall out! I've got a small gap between my two front teeth but having said that it's not really noticeable. I wish I had listened to my dentist when he suggested getting a brace.

ReputationRep:
    In the Topshop in town, there are some pictures of a model with a massive gap between her two front teeth. It's almost like there's a whole tooth missing between them.

And I like mine. I was going to get braces, but in the end the orthodontist said I didn't need them because they'd just straightened themselves out. Not too bothered about them.

ReputationRep:
    I have a gap too. I think I'd look weird without it now, though.

(Original post by chinaberry)
    In the Topshop in town, there are some pictures of a model with a massive gap between her two front teeth. It's almost like there's a whole tooth missing between them.

And I like mine. I was going to get braces, but in the end the orthodontist said I didn't need them because they'd just straightened themselves out. Not too bothered about them.
    I saw that model! It makes me feel better actually, even though mine is not as big. I've heard people comment on how ugly it was though.

(Original post by yoyo462001)
      Getting braces is about one of the best choices I ever made. All the better that they're invisible!
      How much did those cost?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.