Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stop complaining about the snow and clear it youself Watch

ReputationRep:
    Are you slow or something? The big transports problems are not caused by snow on residential roads, they are caused by snow on main A roads, dual carriageways, motorways, etc. Who is supposed to go and clear the m25 in your well thought out little plan?

I pay my road tax and my council tax, and in exchange I expect the roads cleared. Seems fair enough to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free-Spirit)
    My parents bought 3 bags of grit this year so we clear our driveway, the pavement and the road and put a bit of grit on it... so there you go.
    And your point is... what, exactly? That everybody else should do the same and risk being caught up in legal action?

ReputationRep:
    So the government are trying to save money and all that jazz and lots of people keep complaining about the snow and how there isn't enough salt to keep roads clear and how the pavements aren't clear and the poor OAPs are slipping over. But lots of people are also complaining about the cuts, well if the government were to put more money into salt, then they'd have to take money away from other sectors... and then people would complain about that...

Well in Germany if somebody slips over in front of your house, it's your responsibility, so everybody just clears the snow from their drives and a bit of the road in front as well. (Of course there are exceptions if an individual is not able enough to clear the snow themselves) THAT'S how countries keep going, THAT'S how Canada and the US don't stop. (Of course they do sometimes, but not to the extent we do in the UK)
    Whereas God forbid a bit of snow falls here and it's chaos, well that's because people are plain lazy, we expect our councils to baby us and keep us moving, but if we all chipped in and cleared a bit of snow then the UK wouldn't need to come to a stop.

What do you think?
    Judging by what you have posted I have to tell you something that will really annoy you (probably!).

If you've been into any shops car parks when its been snowing you will have noticed that they havn't cleared any of the snow.

The reason for this is because if they clear the snow, or grit their car park, and then somebody slips over and injures themselves then the company is deemed to have been negligable and therefore can be sued by the person who fell over, however if they do nothing and leave the snow alone and somebody gets injured then the company isn't at fault in the eyes of the law.

Makes no bloody sense.

ReputationRep:
    The problem here, though, is that people who for example, live in a cul-de-sac, spend time clearing out their area, shovelling snow into one pile or whatever, and then the council send a plough down the main road that shovels the main road snow into the cul-de-sac...

ReputationRep:
    All those given community service by the courts should be out clearing snow. Put them to some use at least.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if I fall over, I have twice- hurt my hand, oh well.
    I want to be able to get trains and buses places, should we be on the train tracks with our salt shakers then?
    So we aren't used to snow as we don't have a snow season like other countries who are more prepared but maybe we need to start preparing in the same way, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I think I definitely lose because it was snowing, then it stopped, then I cleared some of it, and now it's snowing again. :facepalm:
    I know how you feel. Stupid extra snow wasn't even forecast

ReputationRep:
    i dont go outside much and i don't have a shovel sorry

I'll just hop on the train tracks and clear the snow so I can get home for Christmas shall I?! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
      It's the trains and planes that are bothering most people, what can the average person do about that?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by clo-clo1)
      maybe we need to start preparing in the same way, just in case.
      Who's going to pay? When council's budgets are being cut by ~10% how can they justify spending hundreds of millions on equipment that might only be needed for one week of the year? There will be just as many outraged people complaining come the summer that there are state of the art Norwegian snowplows sat around doing nothing in July...

ReputationRep:
      Correct me if I'm mistaken - but if you attempt to clear the snow and subsequently someone trips over and injures themselves on that patch, you become liable. So I think there is very little incentive to do so.

(ofcourse you'd have to trip over an American to actually get sued most people would just get up and carry on... but you put yourself at risk even though you're going out your way to help)

ReputationRep:

We need something like that.

I don't think British weather is predictable enough for it though.

ReputationRep:
      So the government are trying to save money and all that jazz and lots of people keep complaining about the snow and how there isn't enough salt to keep roads clear and how the pavements aren't clear and the poor OAPs are slipping over. But lots of people are also complaining about the cuts, well if the government were to put more money into salt, then they'd have to take money away from other sectors... and then people would complain about that...

Well in Germany if somebody slips over in front of your house, it's your responsibility, so everybody just clears the snow from their drives and a bit of the road in front as well. (Of course there are exceptions if an individual is not able enough to clear the snow themselves) THAT'S how countries keep going, THAT'S how Canada and the US don't stop. (Of course they do sometimes, but not to the extent we do in the UK)
      Whereas God forbid a bit of snow falls here and it's chaos, well that's because people are plain lazy, we expect our councils to baby us and keep us moving, but if we all chipped in and cleared a bit of snow then the UK wouldn't need to come to a stop.

What do you think?
      Well done that man! A bit of good old-fashioned manual labour never hurt anyone. One thing though, last week in Scotland we were under nearly two feet of snow, and every two minutes someone needed digging out and pushed up the hill next to our street. Because the temperatures have been so low the ice is absolutely solid, and it was properly tough-going, some of the blocks of ice we were bringing up were nearly the size of paving slabs! It had to be done though, so I can't have any complaints.

ReputationRep:
      This is common sense but common sense isn't that common.

But it is the responsibility of the council anyway.

The problem isn't just the people being too lazy, but this country isn't organised. You need to do more than just grit the roads. Why not train highway maintenance to clear the snow off the roads too instead of just gritting ontop of snow causing a mess and nothing better.

Tbh though the snow is not even that bad. People just need to learn how to deal with these conditions.

ReputationRep:
      The Government has made it quite clear earlier in the year that individuals can feel free to clear snow from paths, they will not be prosecuted as long as they do not intentionally make it worse. No one has ever been sued for this.

ReputationRep:
      I think it's fair to complain up here.
      We're not allowed to clear the snow on the roads ourselves, the council put out a warning in the local papers.

It snows here every year November - February on and off, so I think it's fair to expect the council to prepare for it a little bit.

Fair enough down in England, it's not really expected, but it is here.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't mind clearing pavements for people with a shovel.

Except it very rarely snows here. Currently there's about 0.5cm on the ground, and that's all we've had in the last two weeks or so.

ReputationRep:
      [QUOTE=Drewski;28985242]Who's going to pay? [QUOTE]

Haven't thought of that tbh

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, let's clear the airports and railtracks on our own!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.