Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you feel when meeting your gf/bf's parents the first time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My ex's parents were really nice and easy to get along with immediately. That might be the thing i miss most from that relationship :lol: Whenever i was staying at her house i could do what i wanted just like i was at home, they treated me as another member of the family really

ReputationRep:
    First couple of times it happened I was nervous but both times the rents came off really liking me.

I just talk to them like I would any other adult or person I've only just met and you can't really go wrong from that.

Apparently when me & my ex broke up her mum told her she was making a mistake. Hate to be there when she said that. Shudder

ReputationRep:
    Its not really that big a deal, just be polite and friendly, as someone mentioned, the dad is probably always gonna hate you, so just try and impress the mum lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tailschao)
    Make sure you end all disagreements you have with the father with the phrase: "Oh yeah? Well I'm SHAGGING YOUR DAUGHTER".

Guaranteed success :top2:
    Last time I tried that, he replied with: "joke on you son, I shagged her before you." Then we high-fived and split roasted the *****.

ReputationRep:
    I met my bf's parents for the first time a few days ago and I was absolutely petrified. But I had nothing to be scared of as they were very welcoming and I felt accepted there. I think you just need to try and relax around them and be yourself, no point lying about who you are.

ReputationRep:
    I hate meeting my gf's parents, I just know that they don't like me.

ReputationRep:
    I've never found it too problematic actually! As long as you're polite and friendly and don't go ****ging off their beloved son or daughter in front of them then I don't see how it can go wrong really!

ReputationRep:
    http://xkcd.com/275/
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Nervous as hell.

My winning personality and charm sealed the deal.

ReputationRep:
    I have usually played it pretty cool when meeting parents for the first time. It usually takes a few weeks or a month or two before the ice really breaks.

That's the best way IMO. Keep it steady

ReputationRep:
    If the mom is hot, go for the mom/daughter thing. Very few guys have accomplished this, you will become a legend.

ReputationRep:
    I always imagine (probably correctly) that the father is thinking what it would be like to be in bed with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    are you staying with them for a few days, or just going to meet them for a few hours?

just be polite and friendly. they'll probably realise that it's pretty intimidating to be 'meeting the family' and be really nice.
    She told her mother I would be staying for the weekend. Her mother is okay with it all.

But I have booked a room in a nearby hotel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yorksgirl)
    I always imagine (probably correctly) that the father is thinking what it would be like to be in bed with me.
    Probably.. you know men well.. LOL. Though I wouldn't be surprised if you have imagined the reverse a couple of times.

ReputationRep:
    AWKWARD. First time i went round my boyfriends, he said would u like some dinner so i just said yeah thinking it might be a pizza or something we could just eat casually. But no we had a full on sunday roast with his whole family round the table. eeeeeeek. However, they were lovely, i just didn't want to do anything wrong so i guess i felt pretty awkward where i was trying to be a perfect girlfriend lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Not done this for a while, any tips to share?

It's kinda weird because she is bringing me home for xmas and not really sure what to expect.
    i panic!! i'm usually scared of meeting the parents, trying to make a good impression and hope they like me enough, if not... i run like hell

ReputationRep:
    nervous as hell.
    sick actually.... dreaded it so much. wasnt so bad though....

ReputationRep:
    Awkward and nervous!

ReputationRep:
    I've generally avoided the situation with all previous girlfriends. It's much harder for the guy to meet the girls's parents. By parents I mean the overprotective, always-suspecting dad who too was once a teenage guy so knows the impure thoughts his daughter's boyfriend is having about her. Plus it was never really serious relationships so didn't bother

I did meet my current girlfriend's parents though, was invited over for a dinner which was quite scary. She's Italian and comes from a strict catholic family (family genuinely believes she'll be a virgin till marriage :rolleyes:) and to makes things worse her dad is an italian diplomat so a very serious guy. It was very formal and basically just a lot of questions about what I'm all about, what I'm studying, career prospects and all of that :dry:

My girlfriend held my hand underneath the table as if to say thank you because she understood I was in a hot seat, after that first meeting it was pretty relaxed and I get on well with her parents.

ReputationRep:
    The first time I went to my girlfriend's, her Dad had me muck out a stable! I presumed this was his way of assessing my potential as he's a farmer so I played along! Was amusing to say the least! :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.