Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Frightened to take old dog to vet incase they put him down :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    They can't just put your dog down on the spot without your permission and if they examine him and decide that being put down is the humane option, then you are perfectly within your rights to ask for some pain killers for him and allow him to die at home.

Old thread, etc etc. I hope you got him looked at and didn't put your worries about losing him before his welfare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yituool)
    Stop being so selfish, the vet will decide what's best for the dog
    This.

I know it's a hard thing to even remotely think about, but watching an old animal suffer isn't nice at all and you need to put the dog's life in front of your own insecurities and worries. The vet will decide what's best, and they can't euthanise an animal without the owner's permission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda_baby)
    Hey everyone,

I have a 14 year old yorkshire terrior, and in the past year or so he's suffered the occasional seizure, which seems to have stopped now but has left his back legs pretty stiff.

In the past few weeks I've noticed him lose a fair bit of weight and be generally quite weak, and have just found a weird lump thing on his belly, it's bright pink with a black head. I'm thinking it must be cancer, and wanted to take him to the vets, but now people are telling me that when they took their old dog to the vet with a growth they put him down straight away My friend said it'd be better for him to die at home (considering the rate of his decline) rather than subject him to examinations at the vet and being put down, and I'd never forgive myself if he died whilst being somewhere weird and being scared, but I keep thinking maybe it isn't cancerous! Although there'd still be prodding and probing I guess

I must sound really selfish for considering keeping him here, but I know what a state he gets in when people (especially vets) try to examine him, let alone operate.

What do you think I should do?
    Im so sorry to hear that :console:
    I have 9 years old Yorkshire terrier and he also have some health issues.
    Better take your doggy to vet because they cannot put him down without your permission.

ReputationRep:
    take him to a place that he will like it ...
    stay there til you can decide ,

a vet can't tell you what's best with feeling's
    must do it professionally .

whilst you can ,
    like us , i believe he must want to die on a nice place beside of the one the he loves most ...
    well that is if he's goin to ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.