Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone like the Hollister shops? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    Ah, I see. I didn't realise that. I just assumed it was a cheap rip-off of Abercrombie. I suppose it is, in a way,
    Well Abercrombie is like the main brand and hollister is just like a branch company of A&F. Hollister is much cheaper than abercrombie and because so many people wear it now it just **** now.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, i actually bum Hollister.
    it's expensive to me.
    so i get clothes from there for special occasions and stuff.
    (like i'm needing to go in there cause of my grades last year :])

anyway, i find the darkness to not bother me anymore, that i've been in there so many times.
    i adore the smell. yeah the music bothers me just a tad, but its apart of getting used to (:
    but i do adore one of the workers that works there, he's so hot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Well the girls are all aspiring models there, for some reason I don't get why even in my local town where I know everyone, the hollister girls, I have never met before. Weird. Maybe they ship them in from abroad.

It's taken hold here this past 18 months and now every 16-19 year old is wearing a hollister t-shirt. Hollister slacks (my god he actually spent £50 on those) and sporting a bad hairstyle such as the models all over the walls of the shop, only not as good.

It's the ultimate retail tactic against the middle-class ***** kids I have come to resent after spending 20 years beign amongst them, cos you know, I am one.

It is a good thing now because before I used to have to listen to a c*nt before I knew he/she was ****, now the ''hollister'' logo is like a huge flag saying ''c*nt'' in a bar, so now before I get in a conversation with one, I know right away not to pay any attention to them.

And the shop, it's so dark I don't know what colour I am buying, and the albums they sell? Dear god they have marketed that to these *****? Just look at the albums they sell, dear god I might cry. Anyone every bought one? ACtually paying 50% extra because it's from a hollister shop? I bet that makes the music good, but no worries, at least you can put it in your car and pretend you're cool some more.

Anywhoo, it's a shop for pretenders and posers who used to wear river island and topman, but now went a bit more exotic and now pretend they are surfers.

I work for a real surfer's brand, cos you know I am actually into those sports. Hollister on the other hand, it's for mid-pubescent guys who need the **** attitude smacked out of them that only dress and do those sports to try and impress girls such as the ones that work in that shop. They sport half patchy grizzle and unproportionate bodies, either because of the puberty, the masturbation or the simple bicep workouts they do everyday to try and look better in their £30 t-shirts.

I hope they enjoy being ***** and wondering where the best years of their life went. I myself although socially challened at the best of times can get the affection of a girl without making penis jokes and acting like a c*unt.

So yea, I don't shop at hollister anymore.
    My sentiments exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the clothes are alright, I have a cardigan from there. My dad bought it, otherwise I wouldn't have spent that much on a cardigan haha.

Me and my sister spent about 15 minutes trying to work out which number was the price on the tag... Everything in the shop is a bit pretentious and over-done. The tags are like "Ooh look at me I'm so abstract and minimalist, there's just numbers, you guess which means what!!!!!!!!"

Well not quite but sort of.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it mainly because every time I go in there (usually to buy presents for my 16 year old cousin) I get looks of disdain from all the cool teenagers in there who look at me like I'm a sad mum or something. I'm only 21 and can pass for 18 but it makes me feel over the hill

Also do they not put prices on the clothes? Or can I just never find them.

ReputationRep:
    So do those stores really only hire attractive people? I was reminded of that incident where a girl was fired because of her prosthetic arm because it didn't fit with their 'look', however I looked it up and that was A+F.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    and the albums they sell? Dear god they have marketed that to these *****? Just look at the albums they sell, dear god I might cry. Anyone every bought one? ACtually paying 50% extra because it's from a hollister shop? I bet that makes the music good, but no worries, at least you can put it in your car and pretend you're cool some more.
    They were selling Muse's 'The Resistance' alongside all the other pretentious indie crap and it made me want to cry It was £16 as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to be writing a Lab Report right now but I'd prefer to post pointless threads on TSR.

I went shopping a few days ago and this was the first time I'd ever been into a Hollister store (Bristol). I've been looking for some new jeans and my flatmate was raving about Hollister so I had a look on the website and found some that I quite liked. I sashayed into said store avec younger sister (who loves Hollister) was not particularly impressed. Seriously, why is it so dark in there? It was like being in the reptile house at the Zoo. Do they not want you to be able to see the clothes or something? The decor is really tacky, especially the outside of the store. The music was also really loud, I couldn't hear a word my sister or the dressing room assistants were saying. I had a pounding headache within five minutes of being in the store.

I thought that some of the clothes were quite nice and I liked the jeans and am considering buying them on-line. The prices are reasonable, albeit at the high end of what I would pay for most items.

The thing that really riles me about the place is the whole pretentious 'surfer' Abercrombie-wannabe atmosphere. They sure like to shove that down your throat. I found the staff to be rather stuck up. I wanted to try on the smaller size, but my sister had buggered off and the assistant ignored me as she was talking to another assistant, so I went and got them without putting my shoes back on. I know this is abnormal behaviour in a store but I didn't really care at the time, I do it in other shops. The assistant looked horrified when I returned and she let me back in the changing room.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. This was only my personal experience, I want to hear others' views about this store. Back to work, then :getmecoat:
    same old mass produced cotton clothing... nothing special..... the best part of my experience was getting my phone torch out to look at the garments as it was so dark!

ReputationRep:
    They were selling Muse's 'The Resistance' alongside all the other pretentious indie crap and it made me want to cry It was £16 as well.
    Let's just say the average the average Hollister regular only has the aptitude to live in the moment, and not in a good way, more like a goldfish way. That album wasn't even £16 in HMV dear god, and anyway, Muse now fit within that indie crap if TR is anything to go by hurhur!

So do those stores really only hire attractive people? I was reminded of that incident where a girl was fired because of her prosthetic arm because it didn't fit with their 'look', however I looked it up and that was A+F.
    A lot of stores and places only hire attractive people, from bars to clothes shops, most of the guys look like absolute welts, some maybe are ok if you talk to them, but generally, no. The chicks are hot, but only a pretty face, I have never felt attracted to that type of girl and if I was her father I'd smack her silly and make her get an education.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really "Abercrombie-wannabe" because it's owned by the same people as Abercrombie; it's the little sister company.

I don't like the way it's so dark and crowded, but I've found that over here the sales assistants are really friendly (in America they weren't quite as friendly, but I only went into one store so can't really say). But I like the clothes, because I actually genuinely like the clothes, not because I want to fit into some sort of social clique. They are good quality, but I still think they're too expensive.

I also like the smell... :love:

ReputationRep:
    They have a good selection of jeans that I can admit, I would buy them simply because they don't have hollister written all over them.

ReputationRep:
    I've always found Hollister and A&F kind of creepy. The loud music...the darkness...the salespeople *shudders*. It's not my style though, and I've heard from ex-sales associates that the quality isn't that great for what you pay.

My university is in the same city as the corporate headquarters, and I've heard that the employees can wear flip flops into work, lol.

ReputationRep:

The thing that really riles me about the place is the whole pretentious 'surfer' Abercrombie-wannabe atmosphere. They sure like to shove that down your throat. I found the staff to be rather stuck up.
    I don't really know where I'm going with this. This was only my personal experience, I want to hear others' views about this store. Back to work, then :getmecoat:
    Amen!

This is exactly the same in my local store. Especially when you go into the store anf they say in an american accent "hey wassup guys, you cool?" :rolleyes:

Still like the clothes though

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually been in to Hollister, but they opened a store in Norwich about 3 weeks ago.. and people still queue from both sides to get in. There's barriers up to keep the lines in order. Seriously, is it that great? I've looked online and the stuff is okay and the prices aren't too ridiculous, but it all just seems a little pretentious by the looks and sound of things.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't even find out how much anything cost at the Hollister I went to. I mean wtf is up with that?:curious:Even if I did, it was so dark I could hardly read the tags. And the male salespeople there kind of freaked me out, I guess I'm just not used to seeing half-naked guys in shops

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    It was popular when I was in middle school, here in America.

No one wears it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maloney)
    Amen!

This is exactly the same in my local store. Especially when you go into the store anf they say in an american accent "hey wassup guys, you cool?" :rolleyes:

Still like the clothes though

And that definitely doesn't work when the staff are Northern Irish in the Belfast one, the two accents don't mix, really cringeworthy! That said about half of the staff there seem to be English. And the policy of only employing 'the beautiful people'.

Although I like the clothes and they are good value compared to A and F, everyone here seems to have gone a bit mad with it, and every other person round QUB seems to be constantly decked out in Hollister gear now.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously someone does, I hear they're quite a successful business.

ReputationRep:
    The Hollister in Westfield attracts attention because of the two topless male models stood outside and the fact that they have a queuing system to actually go in to the shop! When you do eventually get in, you realise it's not really that busy, they just don't want crowds of people ruining their displays and absorbing the fragrance they spray around the place.

I bought some board shorts from there, which are actually quite nice and weren't too expensive compared to other shops, but apart from that I've not been tempted. I find it hard to judge the colours in the dark, and also feel like the semi-model "shop assistants" are judging me. The girls that work there are mostly fit though, no word of a lie.

In short, no I don't really like it, and not sure I'm actually going to go in again. Also, the first time I went in I got lost and couldn't find the exit for a while! A massive fail, that I'm ashamed to admit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.