The Student Room Group

Britain's youngest parents

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Saluki-Sake
This. At least they're taking responsibility and not just getting an abortion.
Heh, sadly I know several people who were having sex at 12 :s-smilie: The government should focus the sex education more on the social issues instead of the biological ones :P

I find having an abortion is taking responsibility in some cases.

tieyourmotherdown

And you know that people have been having babies at 13 or so for hundreds of years, it was considered until not so long ago that the minute a girl starts her period she was to start having babies.
Original post by Trigger
She isnt entitled to benefits because she is under age :facepalm2:

I'll bet you anything she will be as soon as she's of age.
Reply 22
Original post by air-ninety-one
scum

I agree but only partially. Shouldn't that word apply to everyone else who sleeps around? I mean they might not get pregnant but still...
Reply 23
Original post by lechaton-x
I'll bet you anything she will be as soon as she's of age.

Or maybe she will find some work because her child will be old enough to send to school/nursery :dontknow:

Whilst i accept this whole situation is a massive failure of both their parents they might actually be two nice kids who were naive enough to have sex not knowing enough about contraception. That article gives you zero information on the kids backgrounds, social status, home life or anything.

Glass houses and that.
Original post by BambieWambie
At least they're going take care of the baby. .

Well, no, they say they're going to take care of the baby, which is quite a bit different from actually doing it...
Original post by Trigger
I find having an abortion is taking responsibility in some cases.

And you know that people have been having babies at 13 or so for hundreds of years, it was considered until not so long ago that the minute a girl starts her period she was to start having babies.

True dat. Guess it would depend on the situation :P

LOL, I was just stalking your blog! :colone: You've got a really good sense of humour
That baby is going to have a horrible life ahead of it
Of course they should be allowed to keep it unless there are indications that they are incapable. What an odd assertion that the child should be taken just because of the parents' ages.

That isn't to say that I think it likely that the child or the parents will have anything approaching a decent life... it's all rather sad really. I blame the (grand) parents.
Reply 28
Original post by Bruv
I love how the article ends with 'The UK has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe'.

So original.

Its incredible how much higher the US rate is.
I bet nobody would say sh*t if the parents were unemployed 30 somethings. My mum had me at 40. She wasn't that mature. But i turned out alright.
Original post by BambieWambie
Wow, some people are so judgemental. At least they're going take care of the baby. They'll be able to get a job in a couple of years.

Yes but about during those couple of years? The first two years of a childs life will be very expensive, since babies grow very fast. They will need to buy a whole new wardrobe every couple of months, and who will pay for it? The parents. This is why I don't like teenage pregnancy. It's not really fair on the parents to make them pay for a child they don't want and shouldn't be their responsibility.
However, I do admire the support from the family and the father, he is at least facing up to his reponsibilities as a parent.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by CharlieBee_90
Yes but about during those couple of years? The first two years of a childs life will be very expensive, since babies grow very fast. They will need to buy a whole new wardrobe every couple of months, and who will pay for it? The parents. This is why I don't like teenage pregnancy. It's not really fair on the parents to make them pay for a child they don't want and shouldn't be their responsibility.
However, I do admire the support from the family and the father, he is at least facing
up to his reponsibilities as a parent.

Surely this is the parents punishment for not talking to their children about safe sex and responsibility? This is what happens when you 1) leave the schools to deal with sex ed 2) do not bring up daughters who have enough self respect to insist a bf wears a condom and bring up sons who are too arrogant to think they have to and 3) do not pay enough attention to their kids.
this is a product of the increased sexing up of young childrens' entertainment
Reply 33
:facepalm2:

This is what's wrong with our 'PC' society. These children need a good beatin'
Original post by lechaton-x
There's nothing Daily Mail about feeling enraged by this.

I'm far from a Tory, but I'm infuriated that this little girl can claim that she's going to give this poor kid everything it wants and be a 'great mum' when it's all courtesy of the tax payer.

Jesus christ, if you want to slag about when you're 13 at least get your boyfriend to wear a condom. God, when I was 13 having a boyfriend meant holding hands at breaktime :frown:

why are you assuming that it's going to be paid for by the tax payer - the childs grandparents could easily pay for things it seems and besides, you are aware that everyone gets child benefits for a child up to 16. Something that seems to need to be consistently pointed you. You, yourself cost the tax-payer, whether your parents provided for you or not.

Surely her pregnancy is a reflection of modern society that thinks it's ok to slag around, and when the norm is films which actually shows a couple mention contraception/put on a condom/ etc before having sex I wouldn't be suprised if there was a drop in teen pregnancy.

I wouldn't dream about going at it without protection, but I know friends who have and some are willing to take that risk. Getting pregnant isn't that easy (typical couple will be trying 3months) and these things just aren't there in the media sufficiently.

Sorry, I just get really pissed off with all the judgemental people in here. Urg.
Completely irresponsible, she should have had an abortion.
Reply 36
Original post by Bruv
I love how the article ends with 'The UK has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe'.

So original.

I thought that as well, I wish they have another article backed up to this telling us good news like how they are actively reducing it etc.
Reply 37
Why are people calling her a slag when she got pregnant by her bf?
Reply 38
I actually find this upsetting.IMO they are still kids and now they have a child of their own to look after. Its going to really hard work to raise the baby and still get an education but I wish them well.

Being a parent is hard at any age, cant imagine how hard it is at 14 years of age.
Reply 39
Jeez, why so judgemental? My mum was only a year older than this and I turned out pretty well. I love her and I'm proud of her and despite coming from a poor background she never claimed benefits for us. She worked hard for everything we had. Nothing says this situation will turn out the same, but being young doesn't make you incapable of being a good parent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending