Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We'd lose loads of money, we'd lose sovereignty and its like saying "hey EU, want to erode our liberties?" (that sounds quite sexual )
    plus I like the pound, and HATE the EU.

Also, this is most probably wrong, but someone told me that most trading is done in dollars so if we're changing the currency for "ease of trading" why not change it to the dollar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    This is looking at it from a purely non-economic point of view, but anyway:

The pound is a part of British culture. It's a symbol of our Nation, and of our former empire. It holds a lot of values (not monetary) for a lot of people. Also, I (and many others) dislike the European Union. We're our own country, we're not a 'state of Europe' or whatever, we should have our own currency and our own laws. I don't want any more power being given to Europe.

Economically, we'd all lose loads of money.

Non-economic reasons are invalid and just plain irrational. However, I used to think this way until I was about 15...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Because one currency which inevitably means one interest rate (Otherwise you may as well have different currencies) and exchange rate which is absolute suicide because as soon as you start grouping such vastly different economies under one umbrella it becomes difficult. F.e why on earth should Portugal have the same interest rate as Germany? Their economies are massively different, grow at different rates, and their governments need to alter interest rates at different levels/amounts to increase consumer spending as they please. With the Euro, this clearly isn't possible.

Basically its just not workable. These currency unions work in theory on a much smaller scale, but the Euro has got far too out of hand.

(Original post by Hopple)
    Even now you ask this? The weaker countries in the Euro are dragging it down, destabilising it. Any effort to stabilise it results in mass riots in the weaker countries, putting more pressure on everyone.

Let Germany fix the Euro, then if and when it is better than the pound, we can join
    The only two responses (except mine) who tried to give the answer, congratulations and thanks for not joining the crowded group of ''funny'' people.

EDIT: Congratulations for the other informative posts, the two above were just the first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruv)
    Why did most of Europe decide to change except us though?
    most of themn didnt decide, they had too. other than a few other countries it isnt optional
    the UK is lucky as sine it is one of the earlier members it is able to opt out
    the euro would be a rubish idea for the UK, tieing us in with weaker countries and due to the fat that unlike other EURO ountries our trade is more global wouldn't benefit us in the same way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Non-economic reasons are invalid and just plain irrational. However, I used to think this way until I was about 15...
    I would disagree, as there are things that are important that aren't to do with the economy.

ReputationRep:
    Because the UK's better than that.

ReputationRep:
    Fixed exchange rates don't make foreign investment more likely when your economy is screwed because of the fact you have no control over your own interest rate.
    Yes they do. If the value of the currency does not fluctuate then firms can KNOW WITH CERTAINTITY how much their goods will be worth in the future. For example if you investested in a factory in the UK and it took two years to build then the value of the currency may have changed making your goods less profitable. The bottom line is that it increases risk to international trading (BAD) and causes uncertainity (BAD)

The monetary sovereignty argument is a tad illogical (If you mean the cultural argument), I'll give you that however the interest rate argument is very solid and makes perfect sense.
    It makes some sense. However we do not give up all power. If we joined we would be a major player on the ECB. Also we would have more power in the EU generally. Also our trade cycle is very similar to the EU so our problems are their problems. Hence we would set the same interest rate anyway.

No it isn't. If anything in the long run it's not best to join. The one disadvantage of a free market economy is that recessions are cyclical and will occur regularly (unless we find a way to get rid of boom and bust, which Gordon Brown tried but didn't succeed in), so it's inevitable that a recession will happen again in the near future and when it does we need control of our own interest rates.
    Cyclical consistent reccessions are better than infrequent massive economic **** ups caused by a planned economy........... no?

America is one country. The states of America do not have economic sovereignty in the same way that European countries do. In America the federal government controls economic policy, whereas in Europe the individual states do.
    The states in the US are still independant to some degree. Agreed they have less control than EU countries though.

ReputationRep:
    France Germany and Russia(latter not in EU) follow a Franco-Germano-Russian model which have been implemented and consolidated and has worked for them for years. The UK and the US follow and Anglophone model. Don't know what these really consist of in terms of economical policies but I have been told it is a reason for the UK's 'aloofness' to continental affairs especially in terms of economics. The UK could very well join the Euro zone and I think it should to make life easier but it might mean changing how things 'work' currently. Does anybody thing that the creation of the super euro zone will go ahead? France and Germany are thinking of creating a euro zone for the richer northern countries so that bankrupcy in the poor countries won't contaminate the strong economies too much whilst still maintaining the same euro system as to allow them to aid and contain the financial problems.

ReputationRep:
    When i convert prices from Euro to £ it's cheaper in £ so £ > Euro!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Weren't you a guy like last month?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ledarifique)
    France Germany and Russia(latter not in EU) follow a Franco-Germano-Russian model which have been implemented and consolidated and has worked for them for years. The UK and the US follow and Anglophone model. Don't know what these really consist of in terms of economical policies but I have been told it is a reason for the UK's 'aloofness' to continental affairs especially in terms of economics. The UK could very well join the Euro zone and I think it should to make life easier but it might mean changing how things 'work' currently. Does anybody thing that the creation of the super euro zone will go ahead? France and Germany are thinking of creating a euro zone for the richer northern countries so that bankrupcy in the poor countries won't contaminate the strong economies too much whilst still maintaining the same euro system as to allow them to aid and contain the financial problems.
    The super EuroZone main benefit is not to stop the contamination of the currency but to allow the weak economies to depreciate their currency and achieve export lead growth. At the moment the German economy is pulling the currency up which does not help the likes of Portugal.

And I dont reckon it will happen. It costs a lot of time to implement and money. By the time the system is complete the problem will probably be gone.

ReputationRep:
    You're asking now when the Euro is cocking up?

ReputationRep:
    Clearly it makes economic and political sense, but there are too many pompous traditionalists who don't want to have anything to do with the rest of the continent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruv)
    Weren't you a guy like last month?
    Don't you just love Surgeons!?

Pah we would all be even more skint

look at Greece and spain, germany cant bail us all out

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)
      This is looking at it from a purely non-economic point of view, but anyway:

The pound is a part of British culture. It's a symbol of our Nation, and of our former empire. It holds a lot of values (not monetary) for a lot of people. Also, I (and many others) dislike the European Union. We're our own country, we're not a 'state of Europe' or whatever, we should have our own currency and our own laws. I don't want any more power being given to Europe.

Economically, we'd all lose loads of money.
      True. I would be sad to see the pound go.
      I'm glad Norway isn't a member of the EU.

(Original post by Luceria)
        True. I would be sad to see the pound go.
        I'm glad Norway isn't a member of the EU.
        Yeah i agree

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Hooj)
        Basically this.
        If we were to join the euro, then pricing would just be changed from £ to euros, ignoring the conversion rate. So something that costs £5 right now, would cost 5 euros, which is more expensive. It happened in all the countries that joined (When I was on holiday just after it had been introduced my parents were talking to a german couple who were having a huge rant about it).
        Look at ireland. Over £5 a pint ffs.

ReputationRep:
        Because the Euro is the single most stupid currency ever to have been created.

DEATH TO THE EURO!!

(Original post by IGX_RSV2)
          Because the Euro is the single most stupid currency ever to have been created.

DEATH TO THE EURO!!
          croyden thats near me !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.