Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegan 'junk' food Watch

ReputationRep:
    Potato waffles (or chips or potato wedges) with beans and Linda MacCartney's sausages. :bigsmile:

Sometimes it can be hard being a healthy vegan though. I'm far too forgetful and disorganised to remember to take a packed lunch out with me every day, so when I get hungry at uni or in town I normally end up resorting to a lunch of crisps and plain bread. ); Not to mention the only vegan thing in many restaurants is chips. );

(Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
      But does it taste as good as cows milk ice cream? :confused:
      Myself, my girlfriend and my step-mum all had it for the first time recently and all of us said it tastes just as good, or better.

(Original post by VanillaDoe)
        My favourite vegan junk food is my home made sweet and sour veggie chicken balls.
        Recipe?

Although tbh I'm an advocate of using actual vegetables/beans etc rather than replacement meats. Just my personal taste ... most fake meat I've had sucks. Only real exception has been fake crispy duck pancakes, which always seem to taste just as good as the real thing.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by CandyFlipper)
        Recipe?

Although tbh I'm an advocate of using actual vegetables/beans etc rather than replacement meats. Just my personal taste ... most fake meat I've had sucks. Only real exception has been fake crispy duck pancakes, which always seem to taste just as good as the real thing.

http://lustrousmusings.blogspot.com/...er-batter.html
        There you go

Thats a shame you dont like the mock meats :/ I usually use the mock chicken you get in cans from asian shops. Or if im feeling really indulgent.. the redwood companys chicken style pieces.

ReputationRep:
        I want to go vegan again, any tips? I was vegan for a year and a half but I really missed buttery croissants and white chocolate. I hate milk chocolate, just like dark and white, so no problem there .
        I don't really bother with meat alternatives, though sausages and burgers can be fine (really people shouldn't associate them with meat, they are just shapes of food and can be composed also of soya, lentils, beans, nuts etc.

I've been a veggie all my life and don't drink cows milk, my issue really is that I need to cut out some baked goods.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lizfairy)
        I want to go vegan again, any tips? I was vegan for a year and a half but I really missed buttery croissants and white chocolate. I hate milk chocolate, just like dark and white, so no problem there .
        I don't really bother with meat alternatives, though sausages and burgers can be fine (really people shouldn't associate them with meat, they are just shapes of food and can be composed also of soya, lentils, beans, nuts etc.

I've been a veggie all my life and don't drink cows milk, my issue really is that I need to cut out some baked goods.
        What really helped me in the beginning was to constantly remind myself WHY I'm doing it. Just remind yourself of what consuming milk and eggs really means - for me, it worked every time.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lizfairy)

Jus-Rol and some other brands of croissants are vegan (as are their pain au chocolat), or you just make your own of course. A lot of dark chocolate is vegan by accident and I'm sure that I've seen some white chocolate which doesn't use dairy. Also baking without eggs or butter is easy, lots of the best recipies are vegan anyway and the ones that aren't are easily converted without any loss of taste or texture, you just need to find the right substitute for the particular requirement.

I'm with you on the whole meat replacement thing as well as how people associate certain shapes with meat, it irritates me endlessly when people make dumb comments such as "if you're making a burger then why not just have the real thing?" My home made spicy bean 'burger' is about as far from their slab of cow as is possible for food to be so clearly I wasn't trying to reproduce it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by kopite493)
        all vegan food is junk same goes for vegetarians your people not ****ing rabbits eat like it!!!!
        'Meat is important for brain development'

ReputationRep:
        My fav is these alpro pudding pots with white chocolate buttons added in.

The alpro pots are sold everywhere and the buttons can be found at the larger supermarkets in the free-from section and they do milk chocolate ones too.

Nom nom nom.. Wish I had some now! :eating:

Also not quite 'junk' but pretty calorific so kinda junk food in my book. The caldron falafels sliced up in a tortilla wrap with hummus, hot salsa & salad.

My guiltiest vegan junk food is chow mein pot noodles or borbon biscuits dunked in a cup of tea.

If you can't find vegan ice-cream where you live then slice some very ripe bananas and stick them in the freezer in a freezer bag. Then wizz them up in a blender once frozen adding a little bit of soya milk to help it blend (have to be patient though, they will fly around the blender at first making a racket and you will have to keep stopping to shove them back into the blade ). You can add in frozen strawberries or cocoa powder or anything you fancy. It's like Mr. Whippy consistency!

Oh and something that hasn't been mentioned but the 'Strawberry Pencils' sweets are vegan from sainsbury's, I think the laces are as well but the pencils are the best. Plus Haribo 'funny-mix' are veggie but contain beeswax. I'm vegan though I don't mind eating foods containing beeswax or honey so they're fine with me.

Plus I spotted a vegan christmas cake in the co-op. It's quite expensive at £4-odd (it's like a battenburg cake size/shape) but looks good!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tsubasa)
        My fav is these alpro pudding pots with white chocolate buttons added in.

Nom nom nom.. Wish I had some now! :eating:

Also not quite 'junk' but pretty calorific so kinda junk food in my book. The caldron falafels sliced up in a tortilla wrap with hummus, hot salsa & salad.
        ahh! gimme!!! :P

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by CandyFlipper)
        Recipe?

I had these meat free rashers from Holland and Barrett and they weren't nice at all. Felt my stomach playing up soon after eating them and I cooked them properly. :/

I should get back to making some super falafel wraps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.