Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I bulk up? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShnnyShiz)
    Wow! You sound a lot like me. I used to be skinny as well. At the moment I weigh 68kg too (Although, that's after gaining loads since I started gyming in late September).
    I know what you mean - there's that limit where you feel like you're full. Just because you feel full though, doesn't mean you shouldn't eat any more. In fact, the reason the Atkinson's diet works (a diet based on eating just fatty foods and meat, Google it if you don't believe me) is because your body thinks it's had enough, when it hasn't. You should be eating at the very least 3 full meals a day - on a gym day I have a full english breakfast (3 bacons, 3-4 eggs, 3 toasts, beans) with a milk, for lunch after gyming, I often go and get a KFC meal, which is fine as long as you don't have it too often. For dinner, a big portion of whatever's on offer. I'll have substantial snacks in between, and extra meals sometimes. Try and eat more than you would normally eat, but never to the point where you're feeling sick.
    Very importantly also, make sure you're really pushing yourself as well. You want to be benching/doing whatever with a weight where you're only JUST managing to get 3x8 reps with a good technique. A lot of people miss this part out, they think they're doing alright and stick to the same weight every week. That's why those people don't get bigger. Constantly push yourself to the limit! If I'm not seriously aching the day after, I know I've not done enough.
    Hope this helps!
    Firstly a full English is probably the worst thing you could eat post training for optimal improvement!!

Secondly aching or DOMS as it is known is not a sign of doing enough, it is a sign of micro-trauma in the muscles, you would see much better gains if you can stop short of this and squat three times a week for example.

Thirdly it is called the ‘Atkins’ diet not the Atkinson diet.

Fourthly why would you think KF occasionally is ok as long as its not too often, but a full English is ok after every session?

Fail on the two posts (one above) that pick out a single exercise and use the bench press as an example, Squats and deadlifts are the weapons of choice, bench you can take or leave, dips are often better for most to gain mass.

There are some not as wise as they think people in this thread!

My tip: Drink an oats shake whenever you get a chance

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MattGriff)
      Firstly a full English is probably the worst thing you could eat post training for optimal improvement!!

There are some not as wise as they think people in this thread!
      I don't see you offering him any help.. I used bench to illustrate the need to do high weights and low reps. What exercises he chooses to do is up to him. I never said bench and don't do squats..
      I disagree. Micro trauma is happening when you do any exercise, whether you can feel it or not. The process of tearing and regrowth is what makes your muscles stronger..

ReputationRep:
      I don't see you offering him any help.. I used bench to illustrate the need to do high weights and low reps. What exercises he chooses to do is up to him. I never said bench and don't do squats..
      I disagree. Micro trauma is happening when you do any exercise, whether you can feel it or not. The process of tearing and regrowth is what makes your muscles stronger..
      8 is not low reps! 1-3 is low reps thats when stuff gets heavy!!!

It is indeed, but DOMS is when a muscle is broken down too much to function correctly which is why your body tells you it is screwed.

Tell me this bub, if you were squatting 100kg for say 3-4 sets of 8-12 and you had really bad DOMS vs an Oly lifter squatting the same weight for 8 sets of 2 three times a week who will have the bigger stronger legs after a year?

You with your 1872 reps or him with his 2496 reps per year?

Disagre all you want, science does not lie! There is excellent research backing up lifting using the same muscles several times a week to 80-85% performance vs once a week using 100% and better injury prospects too.

If he wants my help then my thread "Ask Powerlifter" is open to all and he can use it. I just try to stem the tide of nonsense from you bro-science lifters who read a copy of flex and think you know anything about training.

ReputationRep:
      Don't worry about fat consumption, you need a decent amount of fat anyway in the body.

What i did when i started off 3 years ago was, increase carb intake, increase LEAN protein intake (lean pieces of chicken, grilled or boiled).

Yes you do need cardio still, and always will otherwise you'll end up like Schwarzenegger, even though he had big guns, he's suffered multiple heart attacks because only cardio will increase the hearts capacity of blood and efficiency. Also Metabolic processes will occur far quicker when more blood is being pumped around the body.

What you should do is:
      A work out 3 times a week, with the day after a workout a ''rest'' day, though u need to do cardio on ALL days.

Do your cardio activity in the morning before breakfast or consumption of any food.
      (cardio being activities such as sprinting, NOT jogging, jogging gives you more endurance rather than power, sprinting raises both)

after the run, do you ab excersises (with weights). Then munch breakfast with loads of carbs (cereal)

After 2 hours, a sufficient amount of the carbs would have converted into glucose. So do your normal ''weight'' workout. and don't use weights that u can do more than 8 reps with per set. If you can do more than 8, use a heavier weight.

Hope this helped. If you want to know what u shud do with supplements, i'd take creatine before the run and before your ''weight'' workout. And insted of breakfast, have a protein shake (with milk). And immediatly after your workout, take another protein shake (with water).

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
      8 is not low reps! 1-3 is low reps thats when stuff gets heavy!!!
      You should be MOVING UP to your 1 rep max.. not starting on 1-3 reps. That will literally do nothing. Have you even been to a gym before? What I'm saying comes from experience and talking to people at the gym. Gym managers, bodybuilders. You could be some kid who's never even been to a gym for all we know.. Don't talk to me about science either. Have you even done it past GCSE..? Next time, say something useful yeahh? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
      lol I can't wait for a response to the above post ^^^^^

ReputationRep:
      :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      You should be MOVING UP to your 1 rep max.. not starting on 1-3 reps. That will literally do nothing. Have you even been to a gym before? What I'm saying comes from experience and talking to people at the gym. Gym managers, bodybuilders. You could be some kid who's never even been to a gym for all we know.. Don't talk to me about science either. Have you even done it past GCSE..? Next time, say something useful yeahh? Cheers.
      2010 Global Powerlifting Congress UK Open 125kg Champion
      2009 British Powerlifting Congress UK Open125kg Champion
      2008 GPC World Championships 110kg class 6th place (not using a squat or deadlift suit)
      2008 British Powerlifting Congress Folkestone Open 110kg Champion

Current reigning St Ives Strongest man

I train with an 11 time World Powerlifting Champion, my gym has a 200kg+ bench press club with 15 members.

I have trained with Andy Bolton, Dorian Yates, Terry Hollands numerous weightlifters and powerlifters and beaten Lawrence Shaleghi in a bench contest.

But you are right, nothing I say is useful

ReputationRep:
      2010 Global Powerlifting Congress UK Open 125kg Champion
      2009 British Powerlifting Congress UK Open125kg Champion
      2008 GPC World Championships 110kg class 6th place (not using a squat or deadlift suit)
      2008 British Powerlifting Congress Folkestone Open 110kg Champion

Current reigning St Ives Strongest man

I train with an 11 time World Powerlifting Champion, my gym has a 200kg+ bench press club with 15 members.

I have trained with Andy Bolton, Dorian Yates, Terry Hollands numerous weightlifters and powerlifters and beaten Lawrence Shaleghi in a bench contest.

But you are right, nothing I say is useful
      What part of this post is useful to a guy who asked "How do I bulk up?" If you're really this champion guy, which I don't quite believe sorry, you could've given us amateurs some advice instead of picking at my best attempt at helping the guy out? You obviously feel you have something to prove by picking arguments with people trying to be helpful and I can't see a Powerlifting champion doing that. It's not too late to come up with some RELEVANT input though. If you do, then maybe I'll believe you..

ReputationRep:
      What part of this post is useful to a guy who asked "How do I bulk up?" If you're really this champion guy, which I don't quite believe sorry, you could've given us amateurs some advice instead of picking at my best attempt at helping the guy out? You obviously feel you have something to prove by picking arguments with people trying to be helpful and I can't see a Powerlifting champion doing that. It's not too late to come up with some RELEVANT input though. If you do, then maybe I'll believe you..
      Legend

ReputationRep:

So let us see, the help thread mentioned (infact in my sig), the misinformation you are providing stopped and yet you can't seem to see any benefit in that? Your above post is therefore redundant and pointless.

Sadly the pseudo psychology is not going to wash with me.

ReputationRep:
      So let us see, the help thread mentioned (infact in my sig), the misinformation you are providing stopped and yet you can't seem to see any benefit in that? Your above post is therefore redundant and pointless.

Sadly the pseudo psychology is not going to wash with me.
      Still not seeing any advice. Just a load of crap. You're not very good at this are you..

ReputationRep:
      Still not seeing any advice. Just a load of crap. You're not very good at this are you..
      Can you actually read? You really are not doing any suggestion that you know owt about anything many favours here!

ReputationRep:
      Can you actually read? You really are not doing any suggestion that you know owt about anything many favours here!
      You need to be able to spell before you can read and you can't even manage that. So yeah mate, you're right. I don't know what "owt" is.. might help if it was actually a word.

ReputationRep:
      You need to be able to spell before you can read and you can't even manage that. So yeah mate, you're right. I don't know what "owt" is.. might help if it was actually a word.
      It is the return of the internet hero ShnnyShiz! He will destroy you all with his 60kg super swole bench press.

ReputationRep:
      It is the return of the internet hero ShnnyShiz! He will destroy you all with his 60kg super swole bench press.
      You know I'm right, hence the ****ty comeback that makes no sense. Don't talk to me again until you get better.

ReputationRep:
      oh dear.

ReputationRep:
      You know I'm right, hence the ****ty comeback that makes no sense. Don't talk to me again until you get better.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.