Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you like about the former British Empire? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Nothing, expect the fact that India will become a more powerful country soon, despite the UK ruling it for hundreds of years lol.
    By more powerful you mean you are going to cut off call centres bringing our country to its knees?

ReputationRep:
    That it was bigger then the French Empire is the main thing I like about it.

The linguistic legacy it has left, enabling the domination of the world by English-derived cultures.

Also we showed mr "Hey I'm big, mighty CHINA!" who's boss.

Really annoying the way the Chinese think they're so amazing. Funny how they always compare 1 billion people to just one European country. Try comparing China to Europe&America for a fair cultural/population analysis. I'll get investing in some humble pie factories right now!

Nothing, expect the fact that India will become a more powerful country soon, despite the UK ruling it for hundreds of years lol.
    Says more about India then the UK doesn't it?

The UK could never of ruled Europe in the same way it completely dominated the India-Pakistan-Bangladesh-Burma region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I bet all the haters would suck Rome's (or the Spanish Empire's, or any other's) ****.

That and evidently some of you know **** all about the British Empire.

****ing morons.
    Precisely, if the thread was "What do you like about the Roman empire" it would be quite different.

ReputationRep:
    Spread English language, which one day might become the offical global language.
    Editomeone said it before me; I posted to slow =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Only a stupid person would say such a thing.
    It was said in jest, calm down :rolleyes:

(Original post by SergioMZ)
    This.
    (I would not have put it better. Whenever I can rep you I will. )
    Thank you very much :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeke53in)
    It was said in jest, calm down :rolleyes:

Thank you very much :hat2:
    Of course, in jest.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Built the modern world! Screw you haters!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the Ottoman Empire to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    That in almost every country we colonised there are still lasting systems of governance, functioning police and law systems as well as infrastructure [roads, railways, telephone networks] eons ahead of countries that we did not go to. India is still using the same rail lines and locomotives that we put there in the 1850s - because they still work that well.

(Original post by Time Tourist)
    Precisely, if the thread was 'What do you like about the Roman empire' it would be quite different.
    It would just be full of people quoting Monty Python endlessly.

ReputationRep:
    Very ruthless empire and had respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Also we showed mr "Hey I'm big, mighty CHINA!" who's boss.

Really annoying the way the Chinese think they're so amazing. Funny how they always compare 1 billion people to just one European country. Try comparing China to Europe&America for a fair cultural/population analysis. I'll get investing in some humble pie factories right now!
    China was the first moderately developed place in the world though,to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    China was the first moderately developed place in the world though,to be fair.
    No it wasn't.

China is the oldest continous civilization.

That is not the same thing as the oldest civilization.

There were older civilizations then the Chinese, whose cultural descendents cannot claim continutation of; but perhaps influence, from these older civilizations. The Chinese can claim a historical continiumm further then any other civilization.

That in no shape or form makes them the first moderately developed region in the world, simply the only one to have survived from (such) early beginnings to the modern age.

To be honest, even a lot of this acceptance of Chinese historical narrative is largely built on deep misconceptions regarding the homogeneity of China and what consituted Chinese culture; throughout history. It is a very shaky propaganda prop.

ReputationRep:
    The Glory - that we where the greatest.

ReputationRep:
    The British Empire was always incredibly supportive toward Ireland.

We will always remember the British Empire fondly.

They definitely didn't treat us like dirt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I bet all the haters would suck Rome's (or the Spanish Empire's, or any other's) ****.

That and evidently some of you know **** all about the British Empire.

****ing morons.
    I think thats more to do with the fact that the British Empire is the most recent. There are people alive today who experienced it first hand and the same can't be said of other Empires

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    I think thats more to do with the fact that the British Empire is the most recent. There are people alive today who experienced it first hand and the same can't be said of other Empires
    Soviet?

American?

Japanese?

French?

I think you jumped the gun a bit there.

(Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    The British Empire was always incredibly supportive toward Ireland.

We will always remember the British Empire fondly.

They definitely didn't treat us like dirt!
    Potatoes were an integral part of Imperial cultural life.

ReputationRep:
    That it caused Zulu. What a film!

ReputationRep:
    THIS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Soviet?

American?

Japanese?

French?

I think you jumped the gun a bit there.

Potatoes were an integral part of Imperial cultural life.
    No, but providing some level of assistance to a member of the union should have been.

Honestly, the only aid Britain provided was corn meal which they did not even think to ground, rendering it inedible.

At one point Queen Victoria insisted that Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid provide only £1000 of aid, as she had only provided £2000 herself. They also tried to blockade Ottoman vessels which were attempting to deliver aid to the Irish people. Such incompetence.

The crisis was exacerbated by a multitude of errors on behalf of the British Empire. The British never cared for the Irish people, only for the planter's land, and this was no more evident than during the famine.

ReputationRep:
    Many of its member countries play cricket is the main thing. As the Commonwealth they upset Margaret Thatcher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.