Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cable declares war on Sky Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think Cable's comments are out of place. He should not voice his own beliefs, and should be impartial.

Even still, as long as there is freedom of expression in this country, why should it matter if Murdoch owns media outlets? There is nothing to stop the Sun being pro-Tory or the Mirror being pro-Labour.

If Murdoch owns too many outlets, then regulate him on a microeconomic basis. If he can charge unfair prices, or there are too high barriers to entry/exit, then I see little problem in regulating him then.

ReputationRep:
    One point of difference between the main parties on broadcasting is the Conservatives' idea that non-public service news services should be freed from rules on impartiality. With video-rich websites already operated by newspapers, and what the shadow media minister regards as a blurring of edges between digital TV and IPTV, he thinks the case for having a range of opinionated news channels in a free society is self evident.

Would he object if Sky News morphed into a UK version of Fox News? "It is not going to happen. Sky News knows that audiences want it to remain an impartial news channel. It is not pushing to relax the impartiality requirement because it's very happy with it."

But would it matter if Rupert Murdoch owned two TV news channels in Britain? "The important thing is not whether a particular owner owns another TV channel but to make sure you have a variety of owners with a variety of TV channels so that no one owner has a dominant position both commercially and politically.

"Rather than worry about Rupert Murdoch owning another TV channel, what we should recognise is that he has probably done more to create variety and choice in British TV than any other single person because of his huge investment in setting up Sky TV which, at one point, was losing several million pounds a day.

"We would be the poorer and wouldn't be saying that British TV is the envy of the world if it hadn't been for him being prepared to take that commercial risk. We need to encourage that kind of investment."

Spoken like a true Thatcherite. On the vexed question of product placement, where Burnham seems to be executing an embarrassing U-turn, Hunt appears cautiously in favour of reform.

He says: "My instincts are that we could have a slight relaxation of the rules within the bounds that are acceptable to consumers… The danger of taking a hard-line position on product placement is that you reduce the capability of commercial broadcasters to invest in programme production… ITV is a huge investor in UK production and we want that to continue."
    yeahhhh
    http://www.jeremyhunt.org/newsshow.aspx?ref=45

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if it compromises his impartiality as Business Secretary? At least he's trying to strike a blow against the bias of the British media...

Me thinks he has made a pretty big enemy here.

Personally I'd love a UK fox news anyway - for those who don't, you'll be under no obligation to watch it. Why not let me have my fun? :sad:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CandyFlipper)

Personally I'd love a UK fox news anyway - for those who don't, you'll be under no obligation to watch it. Why not let me have my fun? :sad:

Read the tabloid newspapers and you can have your fun.

Fox News is shocking. The UK is better off without it. Recent research has shown Fox News makes you dumb.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Male_Melons)

Fox News is shocking. The UK is better off without it. Recent research has shown Fox News makes you dumb.
      Agreed.

(Original post by rajandkwameali)
      I think Cable's comments are out of place. He should not voice his own beliefs, and should be impartial.

Even still, as long as there is freedom of expression in this country, why should it matter if Murdoch owns media outlets? There is nothing to stop the Sun being pro-Tory or the Mirror being pro-Labour.

If Murdoch owns too many outlets, then regulate him on a microeconomic basis. If he can charge unfair prices, or there are too high barriers to entry/exit, then I see little problem in regulating him then.
      So youre okay with him owning everything?
      Come on man! Have you seen Fox News?...I would hate to have something like that in the UK! Having the Bill O'Rely's and Glen Becks here

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
      Actually, what I really want is the EU to step in and start ordering Murdoch to sell off his control of a few of his outlets.
      The European Commission have now unconditionally approved News Corp's Sky takeover.

I sympathise with Cable's stance, but he's now showed himself to be an impartial judge on the issue and so I doubt he'll be able to rule the acquisition. Thanks Beeb!

If Murdoch does get BskyB it will be absolutely chilling. His hideous tabloid newspaper franchise has already maimed the world of journalism and stifled political debate. I've seen the state of Fox News in the US, and it would be amusing if it wasn't so real, but it's an absolute tragedy that a large percentage of the population actually believe the lies and hateful hyperbole the organisation shamelessly spews.

And it's only a matter of time until it happens here, all so that Murdock can get even more rich. Tick tock tick tock. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Well you'll never get one due to rules on impartiality. Whether those rules are fair or not is another matter.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Craig_D)
      Thus calls into question his impartiality as Business Secretary, particularly as he makes the decision over whether Murdoch can take over
      the world.

I don't like the tabloid media actually. Maybe I should be more specific - I like watching Fox Business, it tends to be very libertarian and they talk about issues such as central banking. Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel etc. Orgasmic.

If you don't like it, you don't need to watch it, I don't see why it needs to be an issue. Let right-wing people watch right-wing news, you can't just be against people watching something because you disagree with it.

I don't like Glen Beck etc, but I don't watch the Glen Beck show - I wouldn't ban it in America even if I could.

ReputationRep:
        Oh, Cable is the name of a person...

ReputationRep:
        I don't like the tabloid media actually. Maybe I should be more specific - I like watching Fox Business, it tends to be very libertarian and they talk about issues such as central banking. Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel etc. Orgasmic.

If you don't like it, you don't need to watch it, I don't see why it needs to be an issue. Let right-wing people watch right-wing news, you can't just be against people watching something because you disagree with it.

I don't like Glen Beck etc, but I don't watch the Glen Beck show - I wouldn't ban it in America even if I could.
        On Sky, there is bloomberg and CNBC which focus mainly on business and financial news.
        You could also use the BBC and other media outlets for business news as well.

I don't want my news to be Left wing or right wing on the telly. I want my news to be impartial, but more to the point, I want my news to be fair and balanced. This is successful in the UK because of media regulations. The BBC along with ITN are renowned around the world for their news service. Sky News is successful because it is competing against BBC News and ITN news. To foxify Sky News is dangerous.

If you want the rantings and ravings of lunatics, there are platforms available in the UK, newspapers and online.

ReputationRep:
        The government is pretty likely to let Murdoch take the rest of BSkyB - Jeremy Hunt, who is now responsible for the issue has expressed how he thinks his work has been for good and has stated if he were to take the rest there would be little difference anyway... Ah well.
        I don't think we'll be getting our own Fox News though. I've heard a Sky News reporter - Adam Boulton, I think - hasn't wanted it to turn into that, despite direction for it to do so. Not only that, but is it in British nature to succumb to that extent of hyperbole - with print news, yes (e.g. the Sun), but broadcasting... Nah.

On Sky, there is bloomberg and CNBC which focus mainly on business and financial news.
          You could also use the BBC and other media outlets for business news as well.

I don't want my news to be Left wing or right wing on the telly. I want my news to be impartial, but more to the point, I want my news to be fair and balanced. This is successful in the UK because of media regulations. The BBC along with ITN are renowned around the world for their news service. Sky News is successful because it is competing against BBC News and ITN news. To foxify Sky News is dangerous.

If you want the rantings and ravings of lunatics, there are platforms available in the UK, newspapers and online.
          Somehow I don't really expect the BBC to give an Austrian school analysis of the recent financial collapse. I like watching fox business on youtube, I still don't see why it matters what your view of it is. I'm an atheist but I wouldn't ban the God channel, why not let folks watch whatever they like? I don't really like the whole "we can't let this happen otherwise people might watch news that contradicts my views" attitude that I keep seeing.

Would you ban the daily mail? I don't see why people should be allowed to read that (which, again, is a paper that I hate) but I can't watch libertarian TV if I want to.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by jakemittle)
          Agreed.

So youre okay with him owning everything?
          Come on man! Have you seen Fox News?...I would hate to have something like that in the UK! Having the Bill O'Rely's and Glen Becks here
          If he owns too much, then regulate his ownership. I think it's simply a case of freedom of expression, Fox News is no different to the Independent being pro-Tory.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by rajandkwameali)
          If he owns too much, then regulate his ownership. I think it's simply a case of freedom of expression, Fox News is no different to the Independent being pro-Tory.
          How would you regulate his ownership?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by jakemittle)
          How would you regulate his ownership?
          In terms of the percentage of market share he has, as in other industries.

ReputationRep:
          The man's done nothing wrong. What's the fuss all about? Vince Cable, that is.

ReputationRep:
          I still love the guy. He really doesn't give a ****, does he? He's got a ballsack as big as his head and it probably doesn't look much different either.

ReputationRep:
          It's strange because although NewsCorp owns ****ty papers such as the Sun, news of the world, and also the moron-breeder that is Fox News, it also owns the Times. Whilst the Times is not my favourite paper, it's not bad. Sky News seems fairly impartial as well.

Although I don't like the thought of a random businessman controlling (let's face it) the attitudes of such a large proportion of the Western population, it might be exaggerating slightly to imagine Sky suddenly turning into Fox.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.