Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Fair one, on some of them you can register and you just change the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Fair one, on some of them you can register and you just change the car.
    Going to try that now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT1993)
    Ok so I'm at the stage of looking for a car and something that is fairly cheap to insure too, which I've also found a very difficult thing to do for a boy, so I've been looking at car insurance group 1 cars. The only decent looking car that seems to be in here is the Vauxhall Corsa 1.0. But I found a Volkswagen Polo 1.0 too, but it's car insurance group 3, what the hell, why is this so high? Any advice on what to get, what is cheap to insure and doesn't look a piece of crap?

P.s I don't want people in here going "go for something more powerful" because I can't afford that and it's really just to build my no claims on, thanks.
    Nissan micras are quite cheap on insurance, so are fiat puntos (they just can be dodgy reliable-wise). Those fiat sciento's (or whatever they sre called) are meant to be group 1 insurance (but again its fiat which can be dodgy reliability-wise). Id also look into vauxhall corsas. All of these cars are available well within your £2000 budget and arent rubbish.
    And like people have said on previous threads, bigger cars can be cheaper to insure as insurers think you are less likely to go around crashing it, although i havent tried this myself. Go for something like a rover 25 or a ford focus something.
    Also i found that newer cars are cheaper to insure, as insurance companies think that if you have a newer car- then you are going to look after it more. So get as new a car as you can afford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Nissan micras are quite cheap on insurance, so are fiat puntos (they just can be dodgy reliable-wise). Those fiat sciento's (or whatever they sre called) are meant to be group 1 insurance (but again its fiat which can be dodgy reliability-wise). Id also look into vauxhall corsas. All of these cars are available well within your £2000 budget and arent rubbish.
    And like people have said on previous threads, bigger cars can be cheaper to insure as insurers think you are less likely to go around crashing it, although i havent tried this myself. Go for something like a rover 25 or a ford focus something.
    Also i found that newer cars are cheaper to insure, as insurance companies think that if you have a newer car- then you are going to look after it more. So get as new a car as you can afford.
    Very good advice, I would love a Ford Focus or a Rover 25, it would be a good to say to a car insurance company, "I've spent 2,000 pounds on a car, would I really go round racing it risking a crash" (: But It'll take a lot of heckling because they are much quicker...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT1993)
    Very good advice, I would love a Ford Focus or a Rover 25, it would be a good to say to a car insurance company, "I've spent 2,000 pounds on a car, would I really go round racing it risking a crash" (: But It'll take a lot of heckling because they are much quicker...
    If I am not wrong the Rover 25s are quite expensive to insure.

The Focus, they're pretty good starter cars. You should be 2k should get you a fairly decent one. Look for one with a diesel engine. The Fiestas isn't bad either many of them though classified as group 2 are usually charged as a group 1.

Anyway the thing to remember is the 1st car you buy isn't meant to be driven forever, once your economic standings improve it'll be time for an upgrade Therefore look out for something that someone else would likely to buy as well so it will at least have enough to pay for the insurance on your next car

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.