Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Immigration to Amsterdam Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeacefulClouds)
    *High Fives* I was aiming to move in February aswell!
    I start work in March so thought I'd move about 10 days before. Do you have any plans for where you're staying? My workplace is in Zuid Amstel but I think I'd want to live nearer the centre (Centrum, De Wallen, OudeKirk etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Nice one!
    Haha, I pretty much have no idea. Somewhere near the centre perhaps, as I might stand a better chance of getting work there. Really no idea though, where is cheap and seems nice probably

ReputationRep:
    you know you can buy weed in the UK right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beefmaster)
    you know you can buy weed in the UK right?
    WOW, no way? ;D

ReputationRep:
    Anyways, thanks for all the information people! I'm off now, got some Dutch to learn
    All I have to do now is search for accomodation. If anyone finds any long term stay hostels available let me know! <3

ReputationRep:
    Nice one!
    Haha, I pretty much have no idea. Somewhere near the centre perhaps, as I might stand a better chance of getting work there. Really no idea though, where is cheap and seems nice probably
    The centre will be fairly expensive, as will Oud-Zuid. If you do stay in the centre then it may be that you have to rent just one room. Also, you mentioned that you are 16 - so I'm guessing (without wishing to sound offensive) you might be a little constrained as to the jobs you may be able to get. Do you have employment lined up before you go there? Also, I'm assuming you have what are called 'Level 3' qualificaitons? (I'm not sure what these are exactly - they may be more than just GCSE's - they may be GNVQs/A-Levels).

Basically, if you don't have those, under Dutch law (given your age) you have to attend school to complete them. Are you being subsidized by your parent(s)/guardian(s)? Obviously if so, then that makes things a little easier regards renting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    The centre will be fairly expensive, as will Oud-Zuid. If you do stay in the centre then it may be that you have to rent just one room. Also, you mentioned that you are 16 - so I'm guessing (without wishing to sound offensive) you might be a little constrained as to the jobs you may be able to get. Do you have employment lined up before you go there? Also, I'm assuming you have what are called 'Level 3' qualificaitons? (I'm not sure what these are exactly - they may be more than just GCSE's - they may be GNVQs/A-Levels).

Basically, if you don't have those, under Dutch law (given your age) you have to attend school to complete them. Are you being subsidized by your parent(s)/guardian(s)? Obviously if so, then that makes things a little easier regards renting.
    Yeah. I think just somewhere that seems suitable, obv not the immediate centre as that would be pretty expensive. One room was what I was planning on. Yeah, kind of, although majority of jobs do accept 16 year olds. Particularly in catering, ect, which is where I picture myself. I don't have anything lined up though ... was going to research and e-mail some places such as cafe's and stuff though stating my interest of living and working there. My qualifications are standard grades. These are similar to GCSE's, (OWLS, if you enjoy Harry Potter, haha,) plus Art and English at a level just below A level but slightly above GCSE. I think I would get helped out a little but by my mom, but not a huge amount.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I think just somewhere that seems suitable, obv not the immediate centre as that would be pretty expensive. One room was what I was planning on. Yeah, kind of, although majority of jobs do accept 16 year olds. Particularly in catering, ect, which is where I picture myself. I don't have anything lined up though ... was going to research and e-mail some places such as cafe's and stuff though stating my interest of living and working there. My qualifications are standard grades. These are similar to GCSE's, (OWLS, if you enjoy Harry Potter, haha,) plus Art and English at a level just below A level but slightly above GCSE. I think I would get helped out a little but by my mom, but not a huge amount.
    OK cool. I'm not sure if it's compulsory to stay in education until the age of 18 in the Netherlands, so it may be worth finding out if you have sufficient qualifications to keep the authorities there happy. I'm not sure what salaries are like in catering and whether that would cover the cost of your travel, bills, rent and other expenditure. Do you intend to be able to save money whilst you are there? And are you intending to make a permanent move? I'll be there for at least 12 months since that is the length of my contract - but I could be returning to London after depending on how things go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.