Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting rid of the pot belly (update) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Ok, what/how should I lay out my diet/exercise regime?

You want it like...

Daily:

Day 1:
    Day 2:
    Day3:

Or weekly? And just list everything I eat and the exercise I do? And when I say exercise - I mean literally walking to the shop for 4 minutes or actual workout.
    However you like as long as it's not just a daily calorific intake and x minutes of exercise.

(Original post by AidyD)
    Tho I want to add your implying that I am a retard with this point here, and my family, most of my friends and maybe my GP.... If I could be arsed to see my gp anyway.

I can differentiate between eating alot/little and exercising alot/little...
    Most people are unaware or at least don't fully understand how their lifestyle, diet and exercise regime affects their weight and health, I've even seen it among medics. A lot of people overestimate or underestimate how much they eat and do and that explains most claims concerning high/low metabolisms.

- I myself have been on army military preparation training.
    That doesn't add any weight to your argument. Most military dietary advice is very watered down and even dated.

Couple of years ago I was trying to enlist and had medical history with my hip, I was given a pretty comprehensive 3 month training plan from the army, that included hiking with 15kgs in weights packed, marine standard running times for 1.5 miles and plenty of basic workouts.
    And nothing was raised in your medical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperKell)
    Cut down on the pop.
    I'm hyptonised by your sig

ReputationRep:
    tbh its all down to willpower. Im going for the 'maaaaagical sixpack' but have been weak willed this month and so havnt made any progress. But even when I say weak willed I still exercise daiy and dont eat crap fod (other than my advent calendar) but xmas is the exeption to my lifestyle, most of the year I have small healthy meals and am very active. I find it helps that Im a veggue, I have to be very careful to get enough protein and shiz, which means I think about what I eat and what it contains more than many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)

And nothing was raised in your medical?
    Yes it was, hence the pre-training I had to complete as mentioned.

I actually just weighed myself, I have lost 3 pounds in the last two weeks, having been snowed in pretty much -

Im living with my mum and brother at the mo, out of term so not much to do regardless of the snow, although my brother is working so I won't include him.

Basically Iv been pigging out major for the last two weeks, as has my mum.

Shes trying to lose weight, Im not massively bothered.

Typical day eating wise (times are approx every couple hours Id say):

10am: Poached egg, fried bacon and cheese roll with ketcup X2.
    12pm: Marmite, ham and brie rolls X2
    2pm: Smoky bacon walkers
    4pm (only last two weeks, got lots of chocs, Quality streets and the other ones... ) Probably around 10/12 pieces
    6pm: Pizza (half or 3 quarters to myself, cheap tesco ones) or fishermans pie or cottage pie etc
    8pm: Peanut butter or Marmite with ham on toast X2
    12am: Every few days Il feel really hungry and go make sandwich with crisps in middle of night.

This is combined with the fact Iv not done any exercise for past 2 weeks, plus havent been out at all apart from like 4 times, walking half a mile max each time (into town and back, around 15 minutes each way)

My mum complained to me yesterday that shes put on even more weight, so Im thinking ok, Iv got to of put weight on after the last couple weeks - Iv actually dropped from 12.9 stone to 12.6. wtf.

By logic If I lose weight at the current rate I will die within six months. But **** knows, unless the fact I hardly ate at all in the previous month is still taking affect, although where is all the food Im stuffing myself with going? Because Im not frequenting the toilet that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Typical day eating wise (times are approx every couple hours Id say):

10am: Poached egg, fried bacon and cheese roll with ketcup X2.
    12pm: Marmite, ham and brie rolls X2
    2pm: Smoky bacon walkers
    4pm (only last two weeks, got lots of chocs, Quality streets and the other ones... ) Probably around 10/12 pieces
    6pm: Pizza (half or 3 quarters to myself, cheap tesco ones) or fishermans pie or cottage pie etc
    8pm: Peanut butter or Marmite with ham on toast X2
    12am: Every few days Il feel really hungry and go make sandwich with crisps in middle of night.
    Personally I wouldn't say that that is particularly much. There is one, maybe two decent sized meals in there and all the rest is snacks. Also a lot of what you're eating isn't particularly great on the nutrition front.

I actually just weighed myself, I have lost 3 pounds in the last two weeks, having been snowed in pretty much -

This is combined with the fact Iv not done any exercise for past 2 weeks, plus havent been out at all apart from like 4 times, walking half a mile max each time (into town and back, around 15 minutes each way)

My mum complained to me yesterday that shes put on even more weight, so Im thinking ok, Iv got to of put weight on after the last couple weeks - Iv actually dropped from 12.9 stone to 12.6. wtf.
    As you age your basal metabolic rate decreases so it is possible for your mum to gain weight on the same diet that you eat to maintain or even lose weight.

As for your weight loss I would be sceptical - scales are not an accurate means to judge weight loss or change in body composition. Most people's weight will fluctuate by several pounds (or higher) on a daily basis depending on your hydration status, what you've eaten in the last 24 hours, toileting habits, etc. Personally I wouldn't pay much attention to it unless you notice significant losses in strength (then again if you aren't exercising it isn't necessarily metabolism related) or appearance (eg; clothes are becoming much looser, you're visibly becoming less muscular or thinner).

Because Im not frequenting the toilet that much.
    Your diet is low in fibre (ie; very few vegetables, fruit, beans, pulses, etc) which probably explains that.

ReputationRep:
    Do weight thrice a week and cardio for the other days. Instead of working out only 3 days a week..work out all the days. You can exercise for 1 hour...because the first 20 mins of your rigorous exercise just helps your body heaten up and doesnt really burn lots of calories.

Dont overeat and if you are a chocoholic..then you cant help with the chocolatey part but try minimizing your intake of soft drinks.

Eat less and more often .i.e, every 3 to 4 hours which will increase your metabolism and help you loose weight.

Treat your sweet tooth with fruits. Avoid mango and bananas as they have lots of calories.

Try doing as much as work possible. Take the stairs and help with the housework. Walk your way and avoid using transport. Cycling your way off can help.

Make sure your plate is half full with veggies and fruits. Minimise your intake of rice ( if you consume ) but have it once in a while as it gives off its share of nutrition too to your body in a healthy way.

Hope these help you loose your belly fat. All The Best.

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty rubbish diet TBF.

Question: Is a pot belly not different from just being overweight? I may be wrong, but I thought that whereas general fatness was simply caused by continued calorie surplus, whereas a pot belly was caused by a semi-regular overindulgence (either big dinners or lots of beer) stretching the stomach. There is a definite difference between a fat belly (squidgy) and a beer belly (solid).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Drink as in alcohol?

If you need a chocolate fix have chocolate flavoured whey
    Whey? I doubt the OP's a dedicated weight trainer, whey will just make him more fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bravery)
    What is this?

You complain about your pot belly yet freely admit to eating chocolate, fizzy drinks on a daily basis.

Stop eating this crap and replace it with decent filling foods that will stop you snacking on crap. The posts above have given you sound advice fast/slow metabolism is always an excuse when the fact of the matter is you are not eating as much/little you think you are.

I used to be skinny fat always crying about my "fast" metabolism then I started bulking which meant even though I am eating much more, I cut out the useless crap and even with a calorie excess I decreased my pot belly.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Personally I wouldn't say that that is particularly much. There is one, maybe two decent sized meals in there and all the rest is snacks. Also a lot of what you're eating isn't particularly great on the nutrition front.

As you age your basal metabolic rate decreases so it is possible for your mum to gain weight on the same diet that you eat to maintain or even lose weight.

As for your weight loss I would be sceptical - scales are not an accurate means to judge weight loss or change in body composition. Most people's weight will fluctuate by several pounds (or higher) on a daily basis depending on your hydration status, what you've eaten in the last 24 hours, toileting habits, etc. Personally I wouldn't pay much attention to it unless you notice significant losses in strength (then again if you aren't exercising it isn't necessarily metabolism related) or appearance (eg; clothes are becoming much looser, you're visibly becoming less muscular or thinner).

Your diet is low in fibre (ie; very few vegetables, fruit, beans, pulses, etc) which probably explains that.
    Cool ok, nice post, Iv actually gained a few pounds last couple days so it must be me reading too much into the scales then.

On another note, my face is still as fat as it was when I weighed 15.5 stones (couple years ago) yet my body is now 12.8... Wtf.

Seriously, google jack dee and find him in his 20s then compare to him currently (face fatness) thats me but not the body.

I used to look like Ben Affleck (who didnt?) but am alittle chubby in the cheeks... Solution lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Such as?
    Most of the info on foods are in the stickies and numerous other threads.

But off the top of my head

Wholewheat pasta
    Rice - preferably brown
    Oats
    Muesli
    Wholemeal bread
    Fish (especially tuna)
    Lean meats - chicken, turkey, lean cuts of lamb and beef
    Water
    Milk
    Green Tea
    Brazil nuts
    Almonds
    Fruit
    Dried fruit
    Vegetables ( I think steamed is the best way to cook them not sure though)

I am sure you get the general idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Whey? I doubt the OP's a dedicated weight trainer, whey will just make him more fat.
    well he says in the original post that he's gonna start a full body workout and run it three times a week, if he does stick to it its better he has chocolate flavoured whey than chocolate bars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    I've been battling with this for years, and finally started doing something about it a few months ago. I'm skinnyfat, so low muscle mass + barely any exercise. I was horribly unfit, so started the Couch to 5k plan, and can now run over 5k in half an hour, three times a week, while still getting fairly sweaty. I've not touched weights yet, but was planning to start now that I've reached a 'comfortable' level of fitness again.

Diet-wise, I definitely eat a lot better than before, but still treat myself daily with chocolate, drink etc. I've still got the god damn pot belly, and have been to my doctor as I also get bloated quite often, and he thinks it could be IBS or a similar digestive problem, so I'm taking medicine for it, which isn't changing things. Either way, my belly's still chubby, sticks out and is hideous.

With weights, I was planning on starting a simple full body plan such as this, 3x a week: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...y-workout.html
    To start me off lightly, and eventually I'll be able to lift heavier weights.

Also, now that I plan on not just running 3x a week, how could I combine the workout, so weights and cardio? Which one before the other? Pre-post food advice, for losing fat?

Just wanted some general opinions on this, thanks.
    Leave weights.
    Cardivascular fitness: much much better for health and reduces fat way more effectivley
    Just my humble opinion of course. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivinityofReason)
    Leave weights.
    Cardivascular fitness: much much better for health and reduces fat way more effectivley
    Just my humble opinion of course. xD
    yeah your opinion sucks he should do both unless he's planning to look like this

check dem guns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    That's a pretty rubbish diet TBF.

Question: Is a pot belly not different from just being overweight? I may be wrong, but I thought that whereas general fatness was simply caused by continued calorie surplus, whereas a pot belly was caused by a semi-regular overindulgence (either big dinners or lots of beer) stretching the stomach. There is a definite difference between a fat belly (squidgy) and a beer belly (solid).
    It's weird, because I'm skinny all over except for my stomach. As in, I'm 5'6, and I weigh about 8 1/2 stone, yet after ANY meal, even if it's healthy, my belly sticks out. It's just chubby, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I've been running 5-6k each run (usually 3 times a week, but during the holiday only once a week), for 3 months now, and yet I still have a pot belly. It's driving me nuts.

What I'm planning on doing now is being annoyingly strict on the diet. It's gonna be tough because I'm used to having little treats here and there, from chocolate to bread rolls etc but if you lot can do it, I might as well try. I'm planning on giving myself a treat once a week; alcohol once, sweet food once, and greasy food once. Hopefully I won't need one as often as time goes on.

How do these meals sound?

Chicken breast with lettuce and light salad cream in tortilla wrap
    Tuna mayo in wholemeal pitta/sandwich
    2 scrambled eggs with wholemeal toast and baked beans
    Breaded cod (oven baked) with a side of vegetables
    Chicken in low-fat curry sauce with brown rice/pitta
    Tuna pasta with tomato sauce and sweetcorn
    2 egg omelette with sliced peppers and onions, 2 slices of wholemeal bread
    Lamb chilli with wholemeal pitta

For breakfast I usually eat any sugary Kelloggs crap, but I'm gonna go back to eating honey-nut shredded wheat / weetabix etc.

I'm gonna try and cut down on eating snacks too, but if I do, it'll be fruit. I know six small meals is the best way to go, but I'm gonna go with 4 medium sized meals.

Workout wise, to ease me into a weights routine I was planning on doing a light full body workout to being with, with extra attention to abs, followed by a 30 minute run to round it off. I'm gonna try this for a month and then change it up as I get fitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    How do these meals sound?

Chicken breast with lettuce and light salad cream in tortilla wrap
    Tuna mayo in wholemeal pitta/sandwich
    2 scrambled eggs with wholemeal toast and baked beans
    Breaded cod (oven baked) with a side of vegetables
    Chicken in low-fat curry sauce with brown rice/pitta
    Tuna pasta with tomato sauce and sweetcorn
    2 egg omelette with sliced peppers and onions, 2 slices of wholemeal bread
    Lamb chilli with wholemeal pitta
    Honestly, I hope you'll be having some fruit and vegetables in between those meals because they seem a bit light on those. You yourself said that you don't frequent the 'lav much, so you need the fibre. Either way, I recommend you get some Fybogel (packet fibre, tastes... err, I find it hard to swallow but it's more the texture, it tastes quite alright). Have a sachet with water in the morning and another in the evening, BUT IT'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR A GOOD DIET, DARNIT.

ReputationRep:
    I use something called the perfect me program, it's worked for me so far. It uses a new technique called hypnexercise which adds hypnosis to your workout. It works by developing the mind and body at the same time making you stronger both mentally and physically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by db03_1)
    I use something called the perfect me program, it's worked for me so far. It uses a new technique called hypnexercise which adds hypnosis to your workout. It works by developing the mind and body at the same time making you stronger both mentally and physically.
    Are you just gonna spam this in every weight loss thread?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.