Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Make what :facepalm:-worthy? My post, the whole situation, her, the article, the case?! Lol :o:

It happened so long ago and she wasn't even beaten like the title claims lol :sigh: such a fail DM, once again.
    The case, to say she's beaten but then to find out that it's been verbal abuse...

If she actually wasn't beaten then either her or DM or both are a big pile of fail...although the DM is a big pile of fail anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    The case, to say she's beaten but then to find out that it's been verbal abuse...

If she actually wasn't beaten then either her or DM or both are a big pile of fail...although the DM is a big pile of fail anyway.
    Well assault can be verbal or physical but it doesn't seem to have been clearly differentiated in this case whether it was the former or latter. The title automatically makes you think she was actually beaten and that's why she fled, and most of the article talks about it as 'assault' which makes you think the same thing. But if you read a few of the bits carefully I suppose you can gather that it was verbal abuse - plus like I said I happen to have come across it in a local paper which was a lot more clearer :p:

Sorry for the rant haaah, DM grinds my gears at times. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Muslims are a 'How not to live you life' example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    Muslims are a 'How not to live you life' example.
    Oh here's another person who fails to read the article PROPERLY. Well done halfwit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Oh here's another person who fails to read the article PROPERLY. Well done halfwit.

Would you like to give me the TL;DR version?
    I'm couldn't careless what it says, although I guess I should? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What's this got to do with Muslims/Islam again?
    Honour killings are prevalanet in South Asia... if that is what you were trying to refer to? It's got nothing to do with Islam i'm afraid, despite what the Daily Mail might tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to give me the TL;DR version?
    I'm couldn't careless what it says, although I guess I should? :rolleyes:
    How ignorant :rolleyes: You couldn't care less what it says yet you leave a comment on the thread. How logical of you.

ReputationRep:
    And people wonder why I worry so much about advances in Islamic Culture in the UK. It only cares about Islam... just like bombings in Christian Churches, the killing of thousands of western people and the inability to mix or have relations with, anyone who is not a muslim.

None of this is conducive to a civilised or good society... Sooner or later all the good we have done, will be reversed when this country becomes majority muslim. And it won't be Islam who is to blame, it'll be everyone who let Islam rise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    How ignorant :rolleyes: You couldn't care less what it says yet you leave a comment on the thread. How logical of you.
    I seen the headline made judgement and posted. Shoot. Me. Now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Lolwut, this was in a local newspaper ages ago. In the local paper, which would probably be a bit more reliable than TDM even, her family THREATENED her, didn't beat her :facepalm: And she ran away and told the police but then later wanted to drop the assault charges.

Actually, OP, have you even read it yourself?

It was VERBAL assault - which is bad enough but nonetheless there are no signs of her being beaten. :rolleyes:
    The brother was found guilty of assault, so someone must have got hurt.

I don't really trust the diligence of the journalist though if he can't even count how many Harry Potter films exist.

Miss Azad has appeared in four of the five film adaptations of JK Rowling’s novels, most recently in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

EDIT:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Filthy mugblood *imitates Malfoy's voice*
    Malfoy would probably say mudblood.

ReputationRep:
    I seen the headline made judgement and posted. Shoot. Me. Now.
    Well you're a clever cookie ain't you :sigh:.

(Original post by paddyman4)
    The brother was found guilty of assault, so someone must have got hurt.

I don't really trust the diligence of the journalist though if he can't even count how many Harry Potter films exist.
    :dontknow: It could have been verbal or physical assault, I dunno. But it's hard to make firm conclusions about it when the article/source isn't the most reliable and, as you've pointed out yourself, isn't very accurate either.

EDIT: I'm not condoning the violence in any way! I'm just pointing out that the article is slightly misleading and people are making rather rude, generic generalisations and using this as a piece to back what the already believe (as are some of the posters above)

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea she's from Bangladesh. Oh she's damn hot !!!

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't give a flying **** if they are Muslim. If they want to live in our country, they should abide by our laws. Our laws state that you can't just go around beating people up because they don't marry someone of the same religion. If they don't like it, they should leave.

OP - I +1'ed you because I don't understand the neg rep either

ReputationRep:
    BEFORE YOU POST YOUR COMMENT, please read this comment by someone on the comments section of this article. HERE:

'Im amazed at the fact that despite the world of information we live in today so many people have been jumping to conclusions about the religion, I'm an Asian Muslim woman and I'm totally outraged by the kind of behaviour from this family toasted their daughter. As someone who is both in the culture and has studied the religion in depth let me make it clear that honour killings and such practices are CULTURAL , but unfortunately it's so intertwined with religion that no1 questions it or bothers to go an educate themselves on their own faith. I have spent so much time with my own family and community educating them on this and explaining how such practices amongst others not only have nothing to do with Islam but often go against it. I just wish people Muslim or not would use legitimate resources to get a proper understanding of Islam and not use the media and snippets of biased web sources to form an opinion'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Well you're a clever cookie ain't you :sigh:.

:dontknow: It could have been verbal or physical assault, I dunno. But it's hard to make firm conclusions about it when the article/source isn't the most reliable and, as you've pointed out yourself, isn't very accurate either.

EDIT: I'm not condoning the violence in any way! I'm just pointing out that the article is slightly misleading and people are making rather rude, generic generalisations and using this as a piece to back what the already believe (as are some of the posters above)
    The article is pretty clear

Judge Roger Thomas QC told him: ‘Violence in the home is all too prevalent. That sort of violence, domestic violence, can result, even for a man such as you, in imprisonment.’
    What about that isn't physical. :curious:

Furthermore, what you say is true however how do you then address the posters above advocating beating and arranged marriage and such for her situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    The article is pretty clear

What about that isn't physical. :curious:

Furthermore, what you say is true however how do you then address the posters above advocating beating and arranged marriage and such for her situation?
    It obviously isn't clear enough if people are thinking different things about it :rolleyes: Also the title says she was actually *dating* this Hindu boy, but another article said that it was just one of her friends. (Either way, that doesn't make the abuse she received justified - it's disgusting that a father/brother would act that way towards their daughter/sister, but I'm just trying to point out inconsistencies at least between this and other reports of the same incident)

And which posters above are advocating beating and arranged marriage? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I read this in the MEN time back. Their version was different from the Daily Fails tho
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    It obviously isn't clear enough if people are thinking different things about it :rolleyes: Also the title says she was actually *dating* this Hindu boy, but another article said that it was just one of her friends. (Either way, that doesn't make the abuse she received justified - it's disgusting that a father/brother would act that way towards their daughter/sister, but I'm just trying to point out inconsistencies at least between this and other reports of the same incident)

And which posters above are advocating beating and arranged marriage? :erm:
    Well, people not bothering to read the article is their fault :rolleyes: I do not know about this other article, I can only go by what I saw here.

Well, you merely need to look up at the comments, I do not want to go around naming names but there were a few :erm:
    I was merely interested because, I saw you did not condone the behaviour in the article, but you defended you belief (which you have every right to do so :yep: ) But some people thought conflicting things to your thoughts. So I merely was wondering about your opinion on that.
    Though to speak objectively, a lot of these strict practices and such are not Islamic, rather socio-cultural rules which are still prevalent in some areas in Asia. However, sadly culture and religion intertwine in a mesh where it is almost inseparable. Though I do understand muslim women cannot date any one non-muslim. However such extreme reactions seldom occur though the UK; they are rare...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Well, people not bothering to read the article is their fault :rolleyes: I do not know about this other article, I can only go by what I saw here.

Well, you merely need to look up at the comments, I do not want to go around naming names but there were a few :erm:
    I was merely interested because, I saw you did not condone the behaviour in the article, but you defended you belief (which you have every right to do so :yep: ) But some people thought conflicting things to your thoughts. So I merely was wondering about your opinion on that.
    I have looked up - maybe I've skimmed through but the general trend in the comments on this thread are people saying 'Islam this that blah', not anything about people saying it's good that she got beat or that she needs to go and have an arranged marriage (bar Sakujo or whatever his username is)?!. And I defended which belief? I wasn't aware that I had inputted a huge personal belief in my comment (maybe I did so without realising!) because I've tried to mainly comment on why I don't think this article is totally right and that it's slightly misleading in parts :erm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I have looked up - maybe I've skimmed through but the general trend in the comments on this thread are people saying 'Islam this that blah', not anything about people saying it's good that she got beat or that she needs to go and have an arranged marriage (bar Sakujo or whatever his username is)?!. And I defended which belief? I wasn't aware that I had inputted a huge personal belief in my comment (maybe I did so without realising!) because I've tried to mainly comment on why I don't think this article is totally right and that it's slightly misleading in parts :erm:
    I saw these:

Should beat her for dating full stop
    Nah she shouldn't be dating anyway, so it warrants a beating!
    How about the family set up a marriage instead of beating her and if she refused the offer, then separate her from their lives if they fundamentally disagree?
    All I had to do was scroll up a bit :erm:

But anyway its fine, I assumed you were muslim and was interested in the conflicting view you had to other posters. Its fine. If you look above on my edit I did expand on my point, I wasn't saying "omgosh muslims" I was just interested in your different viewpoint.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.