Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facial surgery - opinions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why not?

It's so common amongst celebrities, on the beauty pageant circuits (the guy behind Venezuela's grand slam queens refers to them as "touch-ups" and it's well known his winners have surgery on pretty much anything) but if it makes someone happy, why not?

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if other people have it done or not, it doesn't really concern me. I personally wouldn't have it done. I'm generally happy with the way I look..Even though sometimes I think, maybe I'd look better if my nose was thinner or whatever, I believe that even if I were to have surgery, I'd only find something else I didn't like about myself later on..and so the cycle would continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    I would never have it personally, just because of the pain. It was completely pain free then it may be a different matter however

I have nothing against people who choose to have this done aslong as they dont go overboard, i.e. that woman whose name escapes me at the moment but she looks like a cat? Even Cher looks OTT now.

EDIT: this is who I meant, Jocelyn Wildenstein.

damn! I'm gonna have nightmares!

ReputationRep:
    Your friends disagreeing with it solely on the grounds of 'because they won't look like them anymore' are probably so ugly that facial surgery wouldn't fix their broken faces and so are envious of those with the opportunity to have corrective surgery and be overall attractive for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty)
    Surely boobs with implants in are preferable to small boobs/flat chests though, despite this?
    Not always. I'm sure most men would rather a girl was flat chested than had a bloody awful botched up boob job.

I know if I were to go under the knife, a boob job would probably be top of the list. What cup I am varies from a AA-B depending on the brand, but i'd not go bigger than a C cup. However i'd rather not have one at all than have one gone wrong.

ReputationRep:
    So, the topic of having cosmetic surgery procedures done on your face (nose job, eye lift, face lift, etc) came up in a conversation between me and my friends the other day, and it turns out that some of them completely disagree with it, and wouldn't like it if one of their friends had it done, because it 'wouldn't look like them anymore'. However I think that if it would make someone who was unhappy about their looks happier and more confident about themselves, its a good thing, overall.

I'm curious about peoples' opinions on cosmetic facial surgery...do you agree with it? Do you think it can genuinely improve people's attractiveness? Would it put you off someone?
    Yes, it can improve a person's attractiveness, look at Brad Pitt, if he hadn't had his ears pinned back, do you think he would have been as famous as he is or loads of girls would fancy him? Unlikely

I mean it doesn't really matter what other people think, you should do what maks you feel good. I mean if someone had plastic surgery, do you not think they're the best judge of whether they need it or not. Obviously, they would be feeling pretty **** about themselves to resort to it and if they're likely to feel better about themselves and life, then it makes sense surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Not always. I'm sure most men would rather a girl was flat chested than had a bloody awful botched up boob job.

I know if I were to go under the knife, a boob job would probably be top of the list. What cup I am varies from a AA-B depending on the brand, but i'd not go bigger than a C cup. However i'd rather not have one at all than have one gone wrong.
    I agree, I dont think implants normally look very good on girls, especially if a thin women goes for massie tits, very odd look. I mean no-one's perfect, I wouldn't really care if the girl had small breasts if I genuinly liked her as a person and she was sweet girl with a good personality.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you happy then i'm all for it (Y)(Y)(Y)

I'd prob never get it done, because I'm not too fussed but each to their own.

Also its important not to go too overboard, change the thing that is really bugging you but then leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    damn! I'm gonna have nightmares!
    Jocelyn's story is actually pretty sad. Summed up - she's a very rich socialite and married a man who keeps a safari park/zoo of some sort. He has several long term affairs, and when she finds out she tries to attract him by getting surgery to make her features more "cat like" and sexy, because she saw how much attention he paid to younger women and of course his big cats in the zoo. Needless to say from the photo she became addicted and took it too far. They did eventually divorce.

I'd love to ask her whether she'd have it undone or if she regrets going to such an extreme.

ReputationRep:
    I think it probably can affect how pretty a person is.
    It wouldn't put me off a person, but I doubt there's a lot of males that have facial surgery anyway. If you want it and you think it will make you happier, go for it. But it can go wrong. Just look at Audrina Patridge's rack.
    edit (audrina's botched boob job):
    Spoiler:
    Show

she's such a pretty girl, she needn't have bothered. It's all people pick on, now.

It's always nicer to accept yourself how you are, though. Things that seem huge to you are really little to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    I think it probably can affect how pretty a person is.
    It wouldn't put me off a person, but I doubt there's a lot of males that have facial surgery anyway. If you want it and you think it will make you happier, go for it. But it can go wrong. Just look at Audrina Patridge's rack.
    edit (audrina's botched boob job):
    Spoiler:
    Show

she's such a pretty girl, she needn't have bothered. It's all people pick on, now.

It's always nicer to accept yourself how you are, though. Things that seem huge to you are really little to other people.
    I don't see whats wrong with her boobs? I'm sure most men wouldn't complain about those to be honest lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't see whats wrong with her boobs? I'm sure most men wouldn't complain about those to be honest lol
    It's just the huge gap in the middle hah. People always comment on it, I personally don't think it looks that bad but apparently it is. Only example I could think of :')

ReputationRep:
    Nose job:

ReputationRep:
    I am getting a nose job next year, because the shape and size of my nose actually cause me unhappiness. I am extremely self concious of it and the number of times I have cried because of it is unbelievable.

On the other hand,if I grow up to be very very rich, I may consider a boob job and lipo suction, not because it is necessary, but if i have the money, why not imporve part of me I don't like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alt__x)
    I am getting a nose job next year, because the shape and size of my nose actually cause me unhappiness. I am extremely self concious of it and the number of times I have cried because of it is unbelievable.

On the other hand,if I grow up to be very very rich, I may consider a boob job and lipo suction, not because it is necessary, but if i have the money, why not imporve part of me I don't like?
    How much does a nose job cost do you know? I would also like one. Can you post a pic of your nose to see whats wrong with it? Mine is a bit wide for my face I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for it really. Sometimes surgery can come out with really good results, the best one I can think of is this:

Of course, if I was to have it done I'd research it and make sure the surgeon was trusted and had a high 'success rate' etc. but I don't really want anything done. Maybe a few porcelain veneers if that counts as facial surgery lol, nice teeth can really enhance a face

ReputationRep:
    I want a real woman not a flipping barbie doll, women need to stop comparing themselves to supermodels and think for themselves about how to look. Everybody has something imperfect about themselves we don't all go out for surgery though :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern)
    How much does a nose job cost do you know? I would also like one. Can you post a pic of your nose to see whats wrong with it? Mine is a bit wide for my face I think.
    Roughly £4000, but it does vary.

And yeah, sure here you go
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alt__x)
    Roughly £4000, but it does vary.

And yeah, sure here you go
    It's an awful lot of money...

This is mines nose:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern)
    It's an awful lot of money...

This is mines nose:
    Yeah it is, but to be fair, it is worth it if it improves your quality of life, which it will for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.