Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wait a second.....how long was it before your team even got close to winning the Champions League and even then it was a fluke and totally undeserved?

Benitez won the Champions League with Liverpool in his first season at the club. Not many "world-class" manager can say they achieved such a feat not even your beloved Scotsman.

Oh and by the way I'm a Man City fan incase you were wondering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    Fergie is smart though.

He plans to retire when he's midway through a group of players. As in he has fully developed a decent squad that he knows will do ok.

He will also have a huge say in who replaces him and for a season or 2 will be working with them to get them going.

God forbid he dies then yes we will be ****ed.

I'm not saying we will win the title the season he retires but he's planning ahead. That's why he's a legend.
    How do you know this by the way?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is remotely surprised by this know nothing about football, Benitez is a **** manager. The fact he won the CL means nothing, Liverpool where a good club capable of getting deep into the competition without a top quality manager, taking them the extra few step was luck and teams efforts not managerial brilliance. He was never a replacement for the special one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Wait a second.....how long was it before your team even got close to winning the Champions League and even then it was a fluke and totally undeserved?

Benitez won the Champions League with Liverpool in his first season at the club. Not many "world-class" manager can say they achieved such a feat not even your beloved Scotsman.

Oh and by the way I'm a Man City fan incase you were wondering.
    A City fan talking about trophies :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    Thank god. Seriously dislike this guy.
    Based on what, his annoyance at Taggart's drunken babbling, making questionable tactical decisions? He's actually a very nice man, gives a lot to charity, appreciates the fans, and I actually met him once when I worked at Anfield, he stopped to have a chat, didn't have to but he's just a nice fella.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Anyone who is remotely surprised by this know nothing about football, Benitez is a **** manager. The fact he won the CL means nothing, Liverpool where a good club capable of getting deep into the competition without a top quality manager, taking them the extra few step was luck and teams efforts not managerial brilliance. He was never a replacement for the special one.
    Apart from Guardiola..who is?

ReputationRep:
    Correct. Had it not been for the conservative and overly defensive Benitez, Liverpool would have won the PL title not so long ago, but instead they drew a ridiculous number of games and finished 2nd. Then he dined out on Istanbul 2005 and the Gerrard cup final for 4-5 years.

Now he's shifting all the blame onto others, at Inter Milan. The guy is an embarassment, a laughing stock and I would seriously PMSL if he returned to Liverpool. It wouldn't surprise me given how dense and deluded Liverpool fans are - strangely enough, they'd have him back in a heart beat!

Bizarre but that's football for you - doesn't always make a whole lot of sense and I guess that's why it can appeal to us football fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Sign on with a pen in your hand cuz you'll never work again, YOU'LLLLLL NNEEEVVVVEERR WORK AGAINNNN SIGN ON SIGN ON
    'Last time I heard that I laughed so hard I fell of my dinosaur'
    Dale Doback (2008)

Quite fitting.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool where a good club capable of getting deep into the competition without a top quality manager
    No we weren't.

ReputationRep:
    A **** manager? Laughable.

How many "****" managers have won La Liga twice, been to as many European cup finals as Alex Ferguson has managed in 25 years, won the UEFA Cup, won the FA Cup and finished 2nd in the league competing with two clubs (Manchester United and Chelsea) who have NOT had to sell to buy?

Anyway, never mind. Don't expect anymore from johnny come lately glory munching armchair idiots on this forum. Go and suck on your andy gray dildos

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but now Sky Sports 'understanding' makes it official?! Im not saying he won't but Sky Sports are ****, at the moment and thats what matters he's still technically manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)

How many "****" managers have won La Liga twice, been to as many European cup finals as Alex Ferguson has managed in 25 years, won the UEFA Cup, won the FA Cup and finished 2nd in the league competing with two clubs (Manchester United and Chelsea) who have NOT had to sell to buy?

Anyway, never mind. Don't expect anymore from johnny come lately glory munching armchair idiots on this forum. Go and suck on your andy gray dildos
    The most bizarre logic is the arguement that he didn't win the CL - Gerrard won it for him. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)

One of the best comments I've seen on this site.

Plus he won the CL with probably the worst team to ever win it. Djimi Traore, Milan Baros, Vladamir Smicer, Cisse, the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Correct. Had it not been for the conservative and overly defensive Benitez, Liverpool would have won the PL title not so long ago, but instead they drew a ridiculous number of games and finished 2nd. Then he dined out on Istanbul 2005 and the Gerrard cup final for 4-5 years.

Now he's shifting all the blame onto others, at Inter Milan. The guy is an embarassment, a laughing stock and I would seriously PMSL if he returned to Liverpool. It wouldn't surprise me given how dense and deluded Liverpool fans are - strangely enough, they'd have him back in a heart beat!

Bizarre but that's football for you - doesn't always make a whole lot of sense and I guess that's why it can appeal to us football fans.
    Absolutely agree. Spot on. I'm a liverpool fan and I was so glad that Rafa left us. He took us to 7th place for goodness sake!!! I predicted that would happen years ago but the support from the deluded 'In Rafa We Trust' bridgade meant he stayed at the club for longer.

Seriously, Rafa was crap. It was thanks to Gerrard 4 winning the FA cup for LFC (we were closing to getting beat by West Ham b4 Gerrard banged that 30 yarder), not Rafa. Against AC milan, it was his tactics that got us down at half-time 3-0 in the first place, yet he's hailed as some brilliant tactician. If not for Gerrard scoring a great header and diving to give us a penalty, Rafa won't be recognised as anything special.

He bought a lot of rubbish players and fell out with many of them. He fell out with the owners, who actually gave him money (£289m). I know he recouped some money back but that was because the majority of players he bought were crap. He played too defensively and that cost us the PL cos' we drew to the likes of Stoke, Fulham and West Ham. He didn't play people in their right positions (Kuyt as a winger).
    His falling out with players caused the likes of Alonso, Riise etc to leave the club.

I don't mind if LFC fans appreciate Rafa being manager when we won the CL but how can any of them say Rafa is one of the best managers in the world? The In Rafa we trust bridgade are some of the most blind, deluded, ignorant & thick fans I've ever come across so far in my life. There always an excuse when he makes a mistake. It's never his fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    How do you know this by the way?
    Through news that I've read over a few years. This news from the manutd.com website and skysports not newspapers.

There have been headlines like ''Fergie will choose successor'' and ''Fergie to plan retirement''

Example here: http://www.theoffside.com/leagues/en...ill-it-be.html

You don't think people realise that when Fergie leaves we may struggle ? United fans have known that for 10 years. It's regularly asked. Sir Matt Busby will also play a part in picking the next united manager.

Queiroz(spelling?) was being coached to follow in Fergie's footsteps, but he was impatient so not sure anymore. Even Solskjaer was being trained by him while he was the reserve team manager. I'm fairly sure that the choice of successor will surprise everyone. Everyone is expecting Mourinho or someone big but if Fergie and Busby choose it wont be them.

I'm not saying United wont struggle when Fergie leaves because we really will but there is a difference between us and other teams like Chelski where Roman makes all the big calls.

Well all this is assuming we don't get bought by some morons. Read in the news yesterday that it's ''inevitable'' the Glazer's will have to sell soon. I just hope those Red Knights buy them. Seems like they will have the best interests of the club in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    Sir Matt Busby will also play a part in picking the next united manager.
    Via a medium or? This one sentence renders the rest of your post null and void.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Apart from Guardiola..who is?
    SAF? Lol!

But they at least needed to start with someone who wasn't already failing to deliver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    No we weren't.
    I'm not saying there were Barca, but they had keeper who was playing pretty much at the top of his game, a defensive which was solid if not quite world class, importantly a bloody good midfield, Garcia scored some very important goals, Gerrard and Alonso are both world class, few teams are going to control that area, and Riise who is a definitely a solid squad player, the strike force wasn't amazing, but they have some pretty good service from the midfield. I would say that team is quarter final material without having to pull out many tactical gems.

ReputationRep:
    Dudek at the top of his game didn't mean he was any good.
    Garcia was incredibly hit and miss.
    Alonso was brought in by Benitez.

ReputationRep:
    Shame, I thought Benitez was doing a good job at Inter Milan. (I wanted anyone except them to win this year :P)

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.