Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    I did~! Why are the US Geological Survey confirming it? Unless US doesn't stand for United States ¬_¬
    Because it's pretty easy to triangulate the origin of a significant earthquake from anywhere on the planet, especially for Europe which is not seismically very active.

ReputationRep:
    The weather is starting to scare me.

ReputationRep:
    I felt it here... everything goes down in Whitehaven!!

ReputationRep:
    No earthquake here :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    Perhaps a group of fat people were trying out 'aerobics'.

Anyway nothing in bristol, probably wont make national news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    Anyone else feel anything about 5/10 mins ago? I'm in Cumbria and my whole house just shook, it's all over facebook.
    How bad was it?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Magnitude 3.6 earthquake but it did visibly shake houses and cause significant physical movement from what I've heard, woke people up, shook houses

so yeah.. and in England, extreme weather increase ftl!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't feel anything, but then again, I was sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    I am amazed there haven't been more people making jokes about it them making the earth move from their bed or something like that.

Anyway I am in London and have felt nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Just your mum getting out of bed.

ReputationRep:
    I heard it rather than felt it, I live by morecambe bay in the grange/cartmel area

ReputationRep:
    This is quite funny as I'd just watched the Mock the Week episode on BBC2 where they were talking about how unlikely/ineffective earthquakes were in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    This is quite funny as I'd just watched the Mock the Week episode on BBC2 where they were talking about how unlikely/ineffective earthquakes were in the UK.
    Me too, the whole thing about Earthquake training and how it was pointless!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    I did~! Why are the US Geological Survey confirming it? Unless US doesn't stand for United States ¬_¬
    The USGS operates internationally - they're not just confined to earthquakes and volcanoes in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Earthquake nowhere near a tectonic plate edge on 21/12/10

End of the world proposed 21/12/12

Coincidence much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    The weather is starting to scare me.
    Earthquakes have nothing to do with the weather.

There was a small earthquake here a few years back. Lasted for about 15 seconds and made one tile fall off our roof

ReputationRep:
    I was in bed falling asleep, felt the floor/bed shaking and heard pipes rattling and quite a loud rumbling.. went on for about 3-5 seconds where I was. Dad thought the boiler had exploded, and my Facebook feed was filled with 50 or so earthquake-related posts within about a minute haha ^^

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.