Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why does everyone have these headphones? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Those I know who use headphones like these do so to make a clear point they're listening to music and do not want to be talked to. I understand their pain - I stick with in-ear and my hair covers my ears... always awkward when I realise someone has been having a conversation with me for the past few minutes and I didn't hear anything they said.

ReputationRep:
    I use them for my online radio stuff, and listening to music, I find they give out better sound, and I dont get on with inears. But thats me

ReputationRep:
    Double up as earmuffs in the cold?

They provide a different sound to in-ears, so it's nice to be able to switch between them.

I personally have these, cuz I iz like cool n ****.
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sennhei...77130-pdt.html

ReputationRep:
    Lots of reasons. Some people find the in ear ones irritate their ears. Some people think the over ear/on ear ones have better sound quality. With the over ear ones you can get all kinds of cool designs, it's like a fashion item as well as functional. It avoids having to fiddle around untangling and putting in in ear headphones, you just put them on and that's that.

Personally I use in ears (easier to carry round, just wrap round my mp3) but I would quite like a nice pair of normal headphones as well if I had the money.

ReputationRep:
    cos they are cheap

ReputationRep:
    Headphones generally tend to have a better Frequency Response (i.e. you get deeper bass and higher pitch) than equivalently or higher prices earphones. They're also a hell of a lot more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14419648.htm

I see them everywhere I go

whats so good about them?

EDIT - Also do people think that these sort of headphones are less likely to damage your hearing than those small 'in-ear' headphones?
    1) cheap
    2) they want to look like they care about music, and audio quality without forking the price for a decent pair of headphones.

ReputationRep:
    Fashion statement, didn't see anybody wearing them a couple years ago

ReputationRep:
    I prefer them because they don't fall out the way I find normal earphones do and I don't like in ear earphones because...well, I don't like how they go right in the ear :P Plus, they tend to give better sound. And I like the 'retro' vibe they give out :cool:

That said, I don't have a pair of my own, instead I have...ermm well they're really old but they are the same fashion as these: http://www.ioffer.com/i/philips-sbc-...14?source=eisi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Double up as earmuffs in the cold?

They provide a different sound to in-ears, so it's nice to be able to switch between them.

I personally have these, cuz I iz like cool n ****.
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sennhei...77130-pdt.html
    what do you mean by 'different'?

do you think they give out better quality sound than those in-ear ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    I prefer them because they don't fall out the way I find normal earphones do and I don't like in ear earphones because...well, I don't like how they go right in the ear :P Plus, they tend to give better sound. And I like the 'retro' vibe they give out :cool:

That said, I don't have a pair of my own, instead I have...ermm well they're really old but they are the same fashion as these: http://www.ioffer.com/i/philips-sbc-...14?source=eisi
    but do you need to have super sensitive hearing sense to notice this improvement?

- I'm quite tempted to buy the one that I've mentioned in the first post, but its got a 2 metre cord :eek:.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just use in-ears, much more portable and isolating. I reckon they are a fashion accessory too, dumb. For home listening I'm currently on Sennheiser HD595s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    - I'm quite tempted to buy the one that I've mentioned in the first post, but its got a 2 metre cord :eek:.
    It's mega irritating, i doubled it back on itself and used a cable tie, and I wear it with the cable in my jacket. They're a reasonable pair for the money, I have a pair of better Sennheiser ones I use for DJing and around the house but for taking out with you they do the job, as has been mentioned the bigger drivers in over-ear headphones means even a cheapish pair will sound better/have more bass response than a pair of in ear ones costing much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    what do you mean by 'different'?

do you think they give out better quality sound than those in-ear ones?
    Probably. They have more potential for bass if you have an equaliser setting.

ReputationRep:
    Meh i'd rather my Beats Studio's! :cool: Anyway over ear headphones are ten times better then those crappy in ear, people are realising that sound matters! Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Lol funny how the cynical ones are the ones with the crappy in-ear headphones! Ahh envy is intriguing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    but do you need to have super sensitive hearing sense to notice this improvement?

Ermm no, I wouldn't say so. My hearing's pretty piss poor (self inflicted) but I think the fact it cancels out background noise makes it clearer plus you get better bass I feel, ermm...

(Original post by Breed)
    Headphones generally tend to have a better Frequency Response (i.e. you get deeper bass and higher pitch) than equivalently or higher prices earphones. They're also a hell of a lot more comfortable.
    ^ what he said.

If it's 2 metres long, you want to buy them and keep them to use with your stereo/computer rather than wear them outside. I mean please don't take this as stereotypical of my musical tastes but when I listened to 'Alejandro' with headphones instead of through my laptop speakers the bass was 100x better and sounded amazing

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen many people with those at all. Mostly people wear skullcandy for the looks, but their sound quality is total shi-te.

ReputationRep:
    In-ears get full of wax :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    Huh? I honestly don't say 'blub'...not good.
    Yeh blub, y'get me! Real gangsta ting dat innit blub!

I honestly laughed a lot after I read that :p:
    Sounds like something my Dad would say.

It's 'bluD' for future reference. Y'get me fam?

Safe.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.