Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Six weeks is a long period of time,- long enough for offers from the BBC for instance,- as even ITN has had an app out for a good four weeks now.
    Dude, are you just totally unable to use the marketplace? I've had BBC News and AP News running for nearly a month -__-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
    Dude, are you just totally unable to use the marketplace? I've had BBC News and AP News running for nearly a month -__-
    It's not a proper BBC News application, dude.
    It's third party, and it's interface is crap,- compared to the one released by the BBC for the iPhone it's not even worth being mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Monkey)
    Wrong, Android does have rigid restrictions, they just haven't needed to increase any of them other than ROM since launch yet. Honeycomb is the first really.

Also 4 firmwares, essentially 3 with 1.5 and 1.6 really, that's hardly huge fragmentation. A newer OpenGL ES spec is all the difference there is for the most part. That then JIT which doesn't fragment the market so much, just improves the capabilities of the individual device. The fragmentation really just reduces to low and high end devices. Something Windows phones will have soon enough.

Android isn't the mess Apple fanboys are trying to make it out to be, quite the contrary.

I'm neither an Apple fan boy or an idiot.
    Compare how little room there is in the WP7 minimum specifications to those set out for Android, there's a very large difference in device capability between Androids too.

Windows Phone won't have high to low end devices.

Look, this is not a thread about Android, go and party in the Android thread, i'm getting bored talking about an operating system which is not relevant to this thread, all you guys have done is come here to ***** and moan about every post i've made and push Android.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I understand how you feel about marketing but you have to see it from there point of view. Some things to consider:

1. Microsoft had to move away from window mobile, a lot of people still think it's the same hence they need to spend a ludacris amount of adverstising so people understand it's not just windows mobile 7 but windows phone 7.

2. Like you said it's a very hard smart to succeed in, all the more reason to market. Many people don't even know Web OS even exists yet Web OS is probably one of the best OS around, I think nearly reviewer and industry expert recognise that the UI is top notch. But that alone wasn't and isn't enough to succeed, the lack of marketing nearly killed of Web OS. Luckily HP stepped in and bought them.

3. Windows Phone 7 didn't flop! I think this is crucial, I and many many other industry fanatics had this down as a flop OS. However generally it's seemed that the OS has potential to compete with Android and IOS which is far more than could be said of BB OS and Symbian.

4. You need people using the device to get apps. Devs make apps for OS with large install bases. Heavily marketing an OS is far more likely to get more sales than making it a better OS. Having a great product no one knows about doens't get you sales which in effect doesn't get you devs making apps.

So personally I think MS handled this extremely well. They could so easily have flopped WP7 but they didn't. They've set themselves up for a decent year ahead provided they get those updates out. One thing I am curious about is what happens when new hardware comes out. Windows Phone 8
    I didn't say it was a flop, I actually really like my phone. I understand the whole moving away from Windows Mobile, it's just the nature of the adverts compared to the device,- they don't exactly sell the device well. I'm not alone in saying this, either.
    I think the marketing strategy is going down the wrong path, but hey, it's better than nothing.

In time the Appstore will grow, ofcourse it will. One of my issues is the time in which it has taken to have any notable apps,- if I was talking about this device to my friends, which I have been, there's probably one or two applications worth mentioning,- given what i've said time and time again,- most developers had alot of time to prepare and release, not just the six weeks since launch.

It's a good platform, the devices shape up well in terms of hardware too, the operating system is something new, different and well presented.
    I've not encountered many issues with the operating system or hardware,- besides the location of the antenna.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a proper BBC News application, dude.
    It's third party, and it's interface is crap,- compared to the one released by the BBC for the iPhone it's not even worth being mentioned.
    I get all the latest news in WP7 style from the BBC - what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
    I get all the latest news in WP7 style from the BBC - what's the problem?
    The application is seriously, seriously lacking.
    Please look at the iPhone application, and the application made for WP7 by ITN.

You'll see the difference.

ReputationRep:
    I checked the hd7 before I got my desire. And I can say that a major gripe from what I saw was poor multi tasking. Hey, I can go back to an app that I just opened, but I can't go back to the app that I just went back from. LOL. But the device was freakiiiiiinnnnnn awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    I checked the hd7 before I got my desire. And I can say that a major gripe from what I saw was poor multi tasking. Hey, I can go back to an app that I just opened, but I can't go back to the app that I just went back from. LOL. But the device was freakiiiiiinnnnnn awesome
    I guess that is because you'd need a forward key for that, but I do notice the oversight.
    But in all fairness, I've never wanted to use that feature, for me there has been no need.

ReputationRep:
    IOS can't really multitask, anyway why no Android comparison?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    IOS can't really multitask, anyway why no Android comparison?
    iOS can multi-task as much as most users need it to, we've already established that and the point has been shown by myself and another user in this thread,- read up.

Android is not really comparable on the scale that iOS is,- plus it's my own comparison, my own thoughts,- indeed Android represents a large propotion of the market and is a competitor, but for the sake of my sanity and interest, I left the comparison out.

Don't worry the Android fanboys quickly came to defend Android, and that area of topic is exhausted

ReputationRep:
    On Apps I Agree and Disagree.

There are more news apps than ITN, infact at the moment I have ITN, BBC (which yes is basic) and AP Mobile installed. MSN Celebrity brings Showbiz and Entertainment news.

There aren't that many apps in the Market but there aren't really many apps I couldn't find to replace what I had on Android (G1 on launch, upgraded to Desire on launch so I had it for a LONG time).

Also the Games are another level. They make Android games look like the ZX Spectrum. They are on the iPhone level with some exceeding that, Earthworm Jim? The FULL Classic Game? Max and the Magic Marker, Need for Speed Undercover all awesome games along with Mobile classics like Fruit Ninja. The addition of Achievements and Xbox Live functionality also do much for the experience. You say there's a lack of Games but I've just named a few excellent games and I could go on, Hexic Rush, Crackdown 2, Bejewelled, Assasins Creed, The Sims etc etc This is truley a Xbox portable.

I don't think the devices look the same, the HTC ones look similar tho especially the Trophy and the Mozart. The LG Phones look clearly different to say the HD7 or the Samsung Omnia 7.

Also, not that I want to criticise you but
    I mean, if they introduced copy and paste, got a few good apps developed for launch then it'd be sitting on a much better standing as an offering.
    You really think Copy and Paste makes THAT much difference? There are plenty of good apps like I've said, you're just not looking hard enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveDhalai)
    On Apps I Agree and Disagree.

There are more news apps than ITN, infact at the moment I have ITN, BBC (which yes is basic) and AP Mobile installed. MSN Celebrity brings Showbiz and Entertainment news.

There aren't that many apps in the Market but there aren't really many apps I couldn't find to replace what I had on Android (G1 on launch, upgraded to Desire on launch so I had it for a LONG time).

Also the Games are another level. They make Android games look like the ZX Spectrum. They are on the iPhone level with some exceeding that, Earthworm Jim? The FULL Classic Game? Max and the Magic Marker, Need for Speed Undercover all awesome games along with Mobile classics like Fruit Ninja. The addition of Achievements and Xbox Live functionality also do much for the experience. You say there's a lack of Games but I've just named a few excellent games and I could go on, Hexic Rush, Crackdown 2, Bejewelled, Assasins Creed, The Sims etc etc This is truley a Xbox portable.

I don't think the devices look the same, the HTC ones look similar tho especially the Trophy and the Mozart. The LG Phones look clearly different to say the HD7 or the Samsung Omnia 7.

Also, not that I want to criticise you but

You really think Copy and Paste makes THAT much difference? There are plenty of good apps like I've said, you're just not looking hard enough
    BBC News is not from the BBC,- i've said this already.

Yes all of the devices look the same,- it's an opinion.

Copy and Paste,- to me no. But to the thousands of blogs which are giving WP7 bad press, it's something which is being used against the operating system time and time again,- it's bad press, it's criticism and people are listening,- look at the comments on some of these articles.

You've named a few games, but there are no really exclusive games,- those games are available on the existing operating systems. They are on iPhone level, which for the same price tag I would EXPECT. There are very few free games also,- a criticism although understandable for now.
    ALSO COMPARE THE COST OF THESE APPS TO their iPhone counterparts,- there's a significant difference between some games.

There is no Independent, Guardian, Telegraph, Sky News or proper BBC application,- just as you said ITN and MSN,- that's it.

I love my phone, I just think there are a few issues.
    It's my opinion...

ReputationRep:
    If you're after a platform with loads of apps, don't need the option to customise your phone, and like iOS's implementation of multi-tasking, why didn't you just get an iPhone? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    BBC News is not from the BBC,- i've said this already.

Yes all of the devices look the same,- it's an opinion.

Copy and Paste,- to me no. But to the thousands of blogs which are giving WP7 bad press, it's something which is being used against the operating system time and time again,- it's bad press, it's criticism and people are listening,- look at the comments on some of these articles.

You've named a few games, but there are no really exclusive games,- those games are available on the existing operating systems. They are on iPhone level, which for the same price tag I would EXPECT. There are very few free games also,- a criticism although understandable for now.
    ALSO COMPARE THE COST OF THESE APPS TO their iPhone counterparts,- there's a significant difference between some games.

There is no Independent, Guardian, Telegraph, Sky News or proper BBC application,- just as you said ITN and MSN,- that's it.

I love my phone, I just think there are a few issues.
    It's my opinion...
    There are quite a few exclusive games, for the size of the market.. off the top of my head:
    - Hexic Rush
    - Max and the Magic Marker
    - Crackdown 2
    - OMG
    - Carnyvale
    - The Harvest
    - Rocket Riot

When comparing the games to the iPhone maybe they're not so special (and probably on par) but they blow anything on the iPhone out of the water.

Yeah I know the BBC app isn't made by the BBC but there still is one. There are quite a few News Apps tbh most of them are pretty good (I actually got quite annoyed at one point because each day the featured app was another news app).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveDhalai)
    There are quite a few exclusive games, for the size of the market.. off the top of my head:
    - Hexic Rush
    - Max and the Magic Marker
    - Crackdown 2
    - OMG
    - Carnyvale
    - The Harvest
    - Rocket Riot

When comparing the games to the iPhone maybe they're not so special (and probably on par) but they blow anything on the iPhone out of the water.

Yeah I know the BBC app isn't made by the BBC but there still is one. There are quite a few News Apps tbh most of them are pretty good (I actually got quite annoyed at one point because each day the featured app was another news app).

Nothing is screaming out at me right now, at all. That's my point, I feel no attraction to the market place.
    I have looked, a few times.

It's just so...boring.

I know it's early days, I mention that several times in this topic, maybe i'm moaning over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is screaming out at me right now, at all. That's my point, I feel no attraction to the market place.
    I have looked, a few times.

It's just so...boring.

I know it's early days, I mention that several times in this topic, maybe i'm moaning over nothing.
    I would disagree but it's all opinion :P

I'm guessing the difference is I've come from almost 2 years of Android and you've come from what looks like an iPhone (or are very familiar with iOS and the App Store)

ReputationRep:
    Hi super.teve
    Don't understand why your getting so much stick on here? - I guess thats the problem with being an early adopter, people like to have a dig and say what they have got is better. Anyway I have just bought the HTC 7 Trophy for £265 and will have it in the next couple of days. Am looking forward to using this OS and it looks promising, i'll let u know how I feel about it once tested it out properly. Just out of interest how do u find using the office hub? is it a good differentiator from other phones or is it not that good? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Animo Et Fide)
    Hi super.teve
    Don't understand why your getting so much stick on here? - I guess thats the problem with being an early adopter, people like to have a dig and say what they have got is better. Anyway I have just bought the HTC 7 Trophy for £265 and will have it in the next couple of days. Am looking forward to using this OS and it looks promising, i'll let u know how I feel about it once tested it out properly. Just out of interest how do u find using the office hub? is it a good differentiator from other phones or is it not that good? cheers
    Office on WP7 is vastly superior to any other mobile platform Especially OneNote; best note taking thing EVER ^__^ But of course Microsoft Office is best on Microsoft's own OS :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Did you genuinely just say the iPhone has multi tasking?

Also: should have went Android.
    Considering Android is almost always reported to be the second highest market share holder, and the fastest growing... I am so ****ing confused as to why OP didn't include the real powerhouse (no, im not saying the best everyone out there) of the mobile OS world...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the iPhone 4 has multitasking,- Google is your friend, even my iPod touch has some form of multitasking too.

I dislike Android, fragmented market = no thanks.
    Its more closing an app, and then reopening it where you left off, than multi tasking

But the android market is not fragmented (We have an engadget reader on our hands, clearly...).
    If your phone cant run the app, then you dont see it in the market. Simples

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.