Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikoghoo)
    I agree, the attention to detail, the linings, trims and buttons. I like what I like. If it's nice I'll buy it. If it's just a T shirt I wouldn't pay £30, i buy based on value and quality.
    Exactly. I have a couple of the T Shirts, but I like the fit and the material feels nice. Anyway, in Topshop you can get tops for like £25, so I don't get why people go on and on about the price. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    It is stupidly obvious that jack wills markets itself trying to appear more 'upper class', more 'elite' than it is.

It produces bags which declare - in big letters - 'Outfitters to the Gentry' on the outside. How cringe is that, the only people who would buy something with that written on it is someone really hideously insecure about their social position.

It's part of their logo...

They're not trying to appear elite and upper class lol, it's just part of the shop. My pillowcases say that on them I think. No, I don't have them because I'm insecure, I have them because I liked the pillow cases.

ReputationRep:
    It's crap cos any Tom **** and Harry can afford it even though they ridiculously overcharge on a hoodie which costs £50 so it says Jack on it.
    And the craze at one time was so bad that girls carried the Jack Wills shopping bags around school.
    I don't know which ones worse - Jack Wills, Hollister, or Abercrombie?

ReputationRep:
    It is stupidly obvious that jack wills markets itself trying to appear more 'upper class', more 'elite' than it is.

It produces bags which declare - in big letters - 'Outfitters to the Gentry' on the outside. How cringe is that, the only people who would buy something with that written on it is someone really hideously insecure about their social position.

http://www.peacockshock.com/archives...urgh-thumb.jpg
    Obviously that is cringe, like I said, i buy based on quality, paying a silly amount for a basic T shirt that has huge letters across is ridiculous. In my eyes, a T-shirt is a T-shirt. I don't see buying clothes as a way of showing everyone how much you have in your bank account or your social standing. i buy from Jack Wills, charity shops, topshop, markets, whatever. Not all people who buy from Jack Wills are insecure with their social position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It's part of their logo...

They're not trying to appear elite and upper class lol, it's just part of the shop. My pillowcases say that on them I think. No, I don't have them because I'm insecure, I have them because I liked the pillow cases.
    How naive you are. It's a deliberate marketing ploy, you only need to take a look at the website and it becomes obvious. Quite a successful ploy, too, going by the amount of stupid little middle class 18 year olds walking around campus in it. It's actually quite pathetic to see.

ReputationRep:
    I think the hatred towards Jack Wills is a bit unjustified. Yes, it's overpriced but so are Warehouse, Zara, Fat Face, etc. I have a jumper from there that's actually really cosy- I'd never pay full price for one but a sale brings down to a reasonable price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    How naive you are. It's a deliberate marketing ploy, you only need to take a look at the website and it becomes obvious. Quite a successful ploy, too, going by the amount of stupid little middle class 18 year olds walking around campus in it. It's actually quite pathetic to see.
    The website is beautiful. I like it because I'm into that kind of thing, not because I want to appear upper class. :rolleyes: Why does it matter if middle class people are wearing it? It's not pathetic at all.

ReputationRep:
    not trying to appear upper class? are you thick?
    Have you ever considered people just wear it because they like it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the hoodies that are £89 are really ****ing ugly.

ReputationRep:
    Some of their stuff is really bad. I saw a person today in a green hoodie that had Jack Wills all over it and it was really ugly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Arrogant? Hardly. You're clearly just jealous that you can't have it. They're not overpriced at all, and they're good quality. You get what you pay for. Don't like it, don't shop there. But stop insulting all of us who do just because you're jealous. Oh and they have 5 shops in London, so yeah.
    I'm jealous, clearly. Lmao, everyone knows you are a tard on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    I'm jealous, clearly. Lmao, everyone knows you are a tard on here.
    A tard? Wow, I'm astounded at the wit and intellect behind that reply. :rolleyes:

You're the one calling people you don't know arrogant and annoying. I think it's clear who the 'tard' is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    "Incredibly upper class" - no it's not :') It's an upper-middle class thing. Nothing more.
    "arrogant shop" - they aren't portraying an image saying "we're better than you" just some kids that buy it do that.
    "no on par with real expensive, good quality shops" - no, nor is it trying to be. it's not exclusive enough to be haute couture, also it is good quality i own some many items from there that have lasted years and years.
    "Outfitters to the Gentry"

REALLY?

lol

While i am not nieve enough to believe that everyone who buys something from Jack Wills is a rah ****, the reputation has come about because THERE ARE a huge amount of rah people about who are incredibly irritating to be around

This is not a personal attack before you get upset

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    A tard? Wow, I'm astounded at the wit and intellect behind that reply. :rolleyes:

You're the one calling people you don't know arrogant and annoying. I think it's clear who the 'tard' is.
    Dont even start about intellect or wit, my reply transcends all of that.....you have posted a ridiculous amount of times which portrays you in an extremely poor way. This is the basis of my insult " tard"

It wasn't meant to be intelligent, it was meant to be : stop being a tard

ReputationRep:
    Dont even start about intellect or wit, my reply transcends all of that.....you have posted a ridiculous amount of times which portrays you in an extremely poor way. This is the basis of my insult " tard"

It wasn't meant to be intelligent, it was meant to be : stop being a tard
    It really doesn't. My other posts aren't relevant to this thread. I'm not really portrayed in a poor way, if people judge me on my political opinions, it says more about them than it does about me. The point was you were stereotyping all Jack Wills shoppers, which is pathetic and made you look really jealous.

I'm not being a 'tard'. You, however, well that's a different story there.

ReputationRep:
    it's for povvos who wish they were posh. my mates at eton (which has its own jack wills store LOL) tell me that if anyone is seen wearing JW they are destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    "Outfitters to the Gentry"

REALLY?

lol

While i am not nieve enough to believe that everyone who buys something from Jack Wills is a rah ****, the reputation has come about because THERE ARE a huge amount of rah people about who are incredibly irritating to be around

This is not a personal attack before you get upset
    The gentry class hardly exists any more anyway. It's a thing of the past.

Can we clear up this definition of "rah" please? Because from where I'm from a "rah" would be a well educated topshop wearer who would also be quite pretty and likes heels- the expensive side of topshop though.
    A prep would be a Jack Wills wearer - of course if they wear the clothes with the names on it then they are just a wannabe.
    and a Sloane would be the one that shops in Sloane Square, RL, Harrods and Selfridges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It really doesn't. My other posts aren't relevant to this thread. I'm not really portrayed in a poor way, if people judge me on my political opinions, it says more about them than it does about me. The point was you were stereotyping all Jack Wills shoppers, which is pathetic and made you look really jealous.

I'm not being a 'tard'. You, however, well that's a different story there.
    I draw your attention to my post about 3 or 4 posts up, the bit in bold.

I wasn't talking about your political opinions, i was talking about your general mannerisms and personality you exhibit on this site (frequently)

It seems i am not the only one who shares this opinion, judging by your rep.

ReputationRep:
    I draw your attention to my post about 3 or 4 posts up, the bit in bold.

I wasn't talking about your political opinions, i was talking about your general mannerisms and personality you exhibit on this site (frequently)

It seems i am not the only one who shares this opinion, judging by your rep.
    Lol you take rep seriously...that's a bit pathetic. Personally, I don't care what anonymous strangers think of me, but hey ho.

My mannerisms and personality? What would they be then?

Also, how is this relevant to Jack Wills? You've gone really off topic, trying to distract from the fact that you stereotyped everyone for wearing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    The gentry class hardly exists any more anyway. It's a thing of the past.

Can we clear up this definition of "rah" please? Because from where I'm from a "rah" would be a well educated topshop wearer who would also be quite pretty and likes heels- the expensive side of topshop though.
    A prep would be a Jack Wills wearer - of course if they wear the clothes with the names on it then they are just a wannabe.
    and a Sloane would be the one that shops in Sloane Square, RL, Harrods and Selfridges.

A Rah for me personally is a girl from a pretty well off family, gone to private school and lived in a massive bubble her entire life. Everything she has is bought with Daddy's credit card, she has bought for her a brand new mini with a personalised number plate. She has fake blonde hair and is relatively pretty ( although wearing so much make up you might find she is very plain in reality) she wears Jack Wills clothes/ abercrombie/hollister and all is bought with Daddys money. She doesnt have a job, goes travelling with daddys money, been on a gap "yah" to asia probably with her best freinds " harrie and georgie"
    There is no " value" in anything and there is a snobbish attitude which really is the key issue here

This is a HUGE stereotype, but you get the picture....the alarming thing is that i have met far too many girls who meet this! I wish it wasnt so

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.