Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll; how satisified are you with your teachers? Watch

• View Poll Results: How satisfied are/were you with your teachers?
    Excellent
    20.72%
    Good
    29.73%
    Average
    30.63%
    Poor
    19.82%
    Incompetent
    18.92%
    I think being able to judge teachers competence is a good idea
    27.03%
    I think being able to judge teachers' competence is a bad idea
    6.31%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    yay for English teachers!!
    English teachers are always ace.
    I cant think of one before year 7 which wasn't good.

mmmm, English teachers.

ReputationRep:
    I find most of my teachers are better with a small class. But overall, average, with some very good and some just awful!

ReputationRep:
    PE teachers are the worse...it's not that they don't teach you anything ( I, personally don't bother with P.E. much anyway) , but they are always grumpy .

ReputationRep:
    I base my opinion on my teachers depending on how well they teach the material and how friendly/social they are. Yes, a lot of schools have too many students per class so the teachers obviously may not be able to bond with individual students very easily. However since my school hasn't got many students (max. 30 per class. About 15-20 in my class), we expect the teachers to be social and more friendly, more caring towards us.

My favorite teacher is my Bible teacher. I've had him teaching me for 6 years now. We don't have any more lessons based on the Bible since we finished IGCSE (only Bible O level is offered at my school). We just have moral studies now. Just discussions. He's absolutely great. He bonds very well with all the students; he's very open minded. He's always ready to help in any personal problems and I can totally trust him. He's also very good at teaching. He's able to discuss anything with all sorts of people. All students in my class, apart from a few who got in trouble with him for smoking, vandalism etc, agree on the fact that he's one of the best teachers in the school. Also my Biology teacher is quite good too. She's excellent in teaching, really knows what she's on about! And she's funny, and open to getting to know her students. Psychology & Art teachers are very sociable too. We're like friends. And they're good at teaching. If one student is not as good as the other, they will try & help the student in improving.

ReputationRep:
    My teachers this year are all very good. Worst teacher I ever had in terms of teaching quality was my GCSE German teacher, I was way behind the rest of the class when I started AS level.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had faith in teachers or what they say in class. I always go home and analyse what they teach and go beyond.

My dislike for teachers arises from the fact that my previous Chem teacher neglected my syllabus.

I believe teachers as a whole are becoming outdated with the advent of the internet and its resources.

ReputationRep:
    Other than my Core and Further Maths teacher, they are all useless at their job.

ReputationRep:
    I had a terrible science/IT teacher in Year 10.

She was an astrophysics graduate from Durham University, so clearly, she knew her stuff. However, this woman could not teach to save her life.

Not long after the election, I'm sure a Tory minister came out and said "I'd rather have a physics graduate from Oxford teaching physics than a qualified physics teacher from another university". Goes to show that graduates from top universities may be clever, teaching isn't the same.

There is likely better physics teachers who graduated from Manchester Met with a 2:1 than Oxbridge physics graduates who finished with a starred first. Teaching requires a decent knowledge of the subject but also the ability to deliver that knowledge. My science/IT teacher simply could not deliver knowledge. Her classroom control was also horrendous. Telling a bunch of 14 year olds that their lesson would not be taught if they continued to talk is a baaaaad move.

Oh my I've gone off topic.

TL;DR - Science teacher was bad. Clever but couldn't teach. I've had some fantastic teachers though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    I've never had faith in teachers or what they say in class. I always go home and analyse what they teach and go beyond.

My dislike for teachers arises from the fact that my previous Chem teacher neglected my syllabus.

I believe teachers as a whole are becoming outdated with the advent of the internet and its resources.
    At primary and secondary, classroom based teaching is essential.

In college, it's less essential, but reading alone won't get you the top grades. You need someone qualified in their field to help you interpret what is in the textbook.

At university level, you've got no chance on your own.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very satisfied with my teachers.

ReputationRep:
    :sexface: I don't need to say anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Some useless ones in my high school, but the ones I have in college are incredible. My French teacher is a legend.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE English teacher was amazing, mad, but amazing. I do quite clearly remeber her receiting John Agard's 'Half Caste', whilst stood on top of a desk, standing on one leg, as the poem begins 'Excuse me, standing on one leg... I've had a few crap teachers though, Y8 maths teacher, couldnt teach for toffee, Y8 english teacher, ditto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    yay for English teachers!!
    I know! They're brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Her classroom control was also horrendous. Telling a bunch of 14 year olds that their lesson would not be taught if they continued to talk is a baaaaad move.

How do you think she should have handled that particular situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohler)
    How do you think she should have handled that particular situation?
    Good question. Problem is, what do you do in that situation? She commanded absolutely no respect amongst her students. I'd suggest sending all of the troublemakers to heads of year and dishing out strict punishments. I was excluded for 3 days that year, partly due to her but it had little effect. Some kids just don't care, which was me. I didn't care one jot.

Impressing my peers was more important to me than my education. Unfortunately it's the same for a lot of young teenage boys. I went totally off the rails in secondary school, completely out of character. Mad really, thinking back :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My maths teacher is shocking, i've got a C1 maths exam coming up and i'm having to learn most of the stuff myself from the textbook!

ReputationRep:
    My Maths teacher and Science teacher were horrendous. Maths, she had no control at all. Only a quarter of a double would be spent actually learning (Or trying to. Her subject knowledge was poor.) Science teacher in Yr11 is just a control freak. Too much control. Borderline bully to the students he dislikes, and I sit there thinking...that's just not right or fair.

However, my English teacher is amazing! She's strict and firm, but she sure as heck can deliver a lesson. She knows her subject, she knows how to deliver, she's very friendly if you're on her good side! We all achieved great grades thanks to her!

My Religious Studies teacher is the best teacher I've ever had. Ever. Yes, she could teach the subject fantastically, provide us with great information, set engaging tasks, but it was more that she could also act like a friend or sister to many of the students. She made a real connection with many students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatstudentdude)
    My Maths teacher and Science teacher were horrendous. Maths, she had no control at all. Only a quarter of a double would be spent actually learning (Or trying to. Her subject knowledge was poor.) Science teacher in Yr11 is just a control freak. Too much control. Borderline bully to the students he dislikes, and I sit there thinking...that's just not right or fair.

However, my English teacher is amazing! She's strict and firm, but she sure as heck can deliver a lesson. She knows her subject, she knows how to deliver, she's very friendly if you're on her good side! We all achieved great grades thanks to her!

My Religious Studies teacher is the best teacher I've ever had. Ever. Yes, she could teach the subject fantastically, provide us with great information, set engaging tasks, but it was more that she could also act like a friend or sister to many of the students. She made a real connection with many students.
    You said your English teacher was strict and firm. How does she deal with people who are talking or messing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohler)
    You said your English teacher was strict and firm. How does she deal with people who are talking or messing?
    Different ways for different people. Generally she's just a teacher that everyone has respect for and behaves anyway.

But sometimes she shouts, going for the full on attack. Othertimes she just sits with a face like thunder until we keep quiet. She uses sarcasm a hell of a lot to undermine us if we're misbehaving. She can hold grudges for ages, so we know to keep on her good side and behave the first time we're told with her!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.