Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour is making a tit of itself in opposition Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Labour's portrayal of the coalition government is laughable.

All this talk of 'extreme right wing government'; 'rightwing coalition dominated by the Conservatives' is utterly laughable. Calling Cameron 'extreme right wing' is like the Tea Party calling Obama 'extreme left wing'.

It seems the party line is to try to dig up the old anti-Tory 'Nasty Party' chestnut. This, I imagine, will fail spectacularly.
    Exactly.

How is the Conservative Party "extreme right wing"? How is the tory party nasty in any way?
    The tory party established many things which today have been integral in all our lives and has benefited the poor.

Even now, this coalition is bringing change that will benefit millions.

In fact, last time I remember when I was a wee tender age of 3 or 4 and Mr Major left a good and sound economy. Labour 13 years later left a somewhat an economy teethering on the margins of just near bankruptcy.

ReputationRep:
    Not as much of a "tit" as the coalition is making of itself in "power".

ReputationRep:
    Labour are ahead in the polls...

Make of that what you will...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    i think if your party has been in government for 13 years and made as much of a mess as they did, they should just stfu for at least 2 years before they start pointing fingers and kicking up a fuss about everything.
    They didn't make that much of a mess. While I disagree with some Labour decisions from 1997-2010, there were a lot of good things there. Economically, it was a global financial crisis, and not purely Labour's fault. But if you look at their record, you have to remember the introduction of minimum wage, the Irish peace process and many other key policies. Before you say they made 'as much of a mess as they did' you have to actually look at what they did rather than relying on Tory propaganda and assumptions like that. They weren't perfect, but far better than the alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    The tory party established many a few things which today have been integral in all our lives and has benefited the poor.
    Fixed. They also opposed most of them...

In fact, last time I remember when I was a wee tender age of 3 or 4 and Mr Major left a good and sound economy. Labour 13 years later left a somewhat an economy teethering on the margins of just near bankruptcy.
    Don't make me post the graph :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    i think if your party has been in government for 13 years and made as much of a mess as they did, they should just stfu for at least 2 years before they start pointing fingers and kicking up a fuss about everything.
    Labour need stfu for 2 years. More like, Labour need to be stfu forever.

ReputationRep:
    Never fear! For when I am overlord and dictator of the world there shall be no need in parties or personal opinions!

ReputationRep:
    there is too much petty criticism of the Government though i.e. calls from Labour for Phillip Hammond to lose his job as transport secretary over the way his department has dealt with the snow. SNOW IS SNOW. NO MATTER WHO DOES THE JOB SNOW WILL DISRUPT TRAVEL IN THE SAME WAY.

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness the government is more right wing that I think a lot of people expected even a Tory majority government to be. It does just show how little/no power the Lib Dems have within the coalition, but yes "extreme right wing" was a bit melodramatic. Yes it's a bit more right wing than we were expecting, but still fairly moderate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManiaMuse)
    First people complain that Labour aren't doing enough in opposition, now they are doing too much?

Good strategy imo. Get some decent media exposure in the run up to Christmas and then consolidate their gains in the 1st quarter of next year when the cuts really start to affect people.
    It would just be nice if we had an opposition that looked at cuts it disagreed with and took the effort to propose an alternative. Instead we have an opposition that looks at the cuts and then looks at what political opportunities the cuts provide them with.

I like the coalition because I truly believe they are doing what they believe is in the national interest. They wouldn't be pursuing policies which will be so unpopular otherwise.

Labour on the other hand spent 10 years hanging the country out to dry so that it could bribe and trick people into voting for them, whatever the cost to the country, and now in opposition is preparing to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    They didn't make that much of a mess. While I disagree with some Labour decisions from 1997-2010, there were a lot of good things there. Economically, it was a global financial crisis, and not purely Labour's fault. But if you look at their record, you have to remember the introduction of minimum wage, the Irish peace process and many other key policies. Before you say they made 'as much of a mess as they did' you have to actually look at what they did rather than relying on Tory propaganda and assumptions like that. They weren't perfect, but far better than the alternative.
    This is precisely how I view Labour's 13 years in power. People are quick to criticize Gordon Brown for the way he handled the economy, and yes he probably could have done a better job, but it's very easy to criticize from the sidelines and ultimately he did stop the recession from being far, far worse. Also people are very quick to forget the massive advances that Labour made socially, and (albeit not complete) changes they made to our mess of a political system. Like you said, they weren't perfect but they were far, far better than the Tories at the time.

(Original post by Barden)

I don't even know where to begin... :facepalm2:

Labour has always been making itself of a tit to be perfectly honest - especially in the last 13 years.

Personally, I believe Cameron needs tighten his act up and have some balls to act like a Prime Minister. If anything, it's too left wing for my liking.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)

Labour has always been making itself of a tit to be perfectly honest - especially in the last 13 years.

Personally, I believe Cameron needs tighten his act up and have some balls to act like a Prime Minister. If anything, it's too left wing for my liking.
      He's created a more or less free market university system, cut immigration heavily, made several massive cutbacks to the welfare system and allowed Michael Gove to go ahead with his (failure of a) free schools programme ... within the relative centrism of our political spectrum, how much more right wing can he be? :gasp:

For those saying things like "to be fair, they are being quite radical" - they're cutting public spending, in real terms, to 2005 levels. I think we still had a rather large welfare state back then! If anything this government isn't cutting anywhere near enough, November saw record levels of borrowing because of increased spending in areas like health and the EU.

Why are we still in the EU, why are we still in Afghanistan? Radical my arse, this is exactly the same as the previous 13 years.

ReputationRep:

The general public like having their hands held by an all encompassing cash cow of a state and as soon as some responsibility gets handed back to the individual they throw their toys out of the pram.

(Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
          This is precisely how I view Labour's 13 years in power. People are quick to criticize Gordon Brown for the way he handled the economy, and yes he probably could have done a better job, but it's very easy to criticize from the sidelines and ultimately he did stop the recession from being far, far worse. Also people are very quick to forget the massive advances that Labour made socially, and (albeit not complete) changes they made to our mess of a political system. Like you said, they weren't perfect but they were far, far better than the Tories at the time.
          I don't think people will be quick to forget the Labour party's contribution to Britain's sickening social problem any time soon. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

I hate to break it to you ISA, but nobody else expected you to have a rational and/or coherent riposte either...

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Keckers)
          The general public like having their hands held by an all encompassing cash cow of a state and as soon as some responsibility gets handed back to the individual they throw their toys out of the pram.

But this is only the second time that Labour have been ahead since the election...

So obviously this is just not true, else Labour would have been ahead in the polls the entire time, and not even lost the election...

I hate to break it to you ISA, but nobody else expected you to have a rational and/or coherent riposte either...
            Let's be straight with this, how could someone still resort into voting Labour despite everything they have done over the past few years?

I do not understand.

Are there still people in this country who believe outdated dogma with regards to the Conservative party? "They are for the rich" - please, spare yourself.

ReputationRep:
            I don't think people will be quick to forget the Labour party's contribution to Britain's sickening social problem any time soon. :rolleyes:
            What exactly do you mean?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.