Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate myself and my life so much Watch

ReputationRep:
    On the one hand, how you're feeling really sucks and I totally sympathise. On the other hand, you really need to give yourself a kick up the bum. Life is what you make it. Don't have interests? Find them! Don't have friends? Make them! Going to fail your uni exams? Well do some bloody work then! It sounds really cheesy but it's true- it's not the hand you're dealt, but how you play it. Your life is nowhere near ruined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I hate my life so much and sometimes question whether I should just end it.

^_^ your 20! You have so much of your life left doesn’t sweat it I know the feeling, I used to lack the motivation to get up at college but you need to think of the end result!
    Close your eye's and picture what you want most out of life! it could be a fast car, a really nice house, lots of holidays, a beautiful girlfriend! It could be anything but pictures it and that’s your goal to work towards...

All of those things are achievable and even thought your in a low place right now you don’t want that to affect you ability to be happy later on in life! you want to make sure that you deal with these issues and concentrate on what you want from life because life isn’t easy doesn’t matter how much money or knowledge you have but ill tell you one thing id rather be depressed lying on a beach somewhere exotic because i can afford to just fly away when ever i like then be depressed in a bed-sit in the UK because i never finished University, never got a job or just gave up on life. Im not saying uni is the B all and end all because its not but if you don’t have another very good plan you need to stick it out!
    You need to go see a councillor if you feel your not copping but please don’t give up, it’s the worse thing you can do, your better than that just believe in yourself

ReputationRep:
    I've just totally messed up my life, I went to university last year and dropped out in January , I then spent 6 months on the dole, my job search was hopeless I applied for the total wrong jobs which I had no real chance of getting and became totally disenfranchised and just hid away from the world. I went to another university in September but my attendence has been sporadic and I've got exams that I'm probably going to fail. I'm 20 years old I've never had a job or a girlfriend I feel totally useless. I have very few friends or interests and there is absolutely nothing in my life and there's never going to be, I don't feel like I have any purpose in life and that if I died tomorrow then it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the world.

If you REALLY want to pass those exams, you WILL find a way and pass. Plus your only 20, don't be so hard on yourself. Richard Brandson was 300 million pound in debt at one point in his career, now he's poo-ing money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    On the one hand, how you're feeling really sucks and I totally sympathise. On the other hand, you really need to give yourself a kick up the bum. Life is what you make it. Don't have interests? Find them! Don't have friends? Make them! Going to fail your uni exams? Well do some bloody work then! It sounds really cheesy but it's true- it's not the hand you're dealt, but how you play it. Your life is nowhere near ruined.
    This also.

ReputationRep:
    I've just totally messed up my life, I went to university last year and dropped out in January , I then spent 6 months on the dole, my job search was hopeless I applied for the total wrong jobs which I had no real chance of getting and became totally disenfranchised and just hid away from the world. I went to another university in September but my attendence has been sporadic and I've got exams that I'm probably going to fail. I'm 20 years old I've never had a job or a girlfriend I feel totally useless. I have very few friends or interests and there is absolutely nothing in my life and there's never going to be, I don't feel like I have any purpose in life and that if I died tomorrow then it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the world.

Cheer up, you're not in a death camp and you own a computer. There are worse fates.

ReputationRep:
    Chin up mate

I don't feel like I can make friends, who would want to be friends with a drop-out who was sat on the dole for 6 months?

ReputationRep:
    Earth existed for billions of years. Even if you exist for a century, that is still negligible amount of time on Earth so don't make it even shorter.

ReputationRep:
    Go to church and pray, try to attend the alpha course at your university.

ReputationRep:
    I really despair at some of the replies to the OP. I wish people with no understanding of depression and how to deal with depression would stop trying to give advice about it! You're not helping and if anything you're just making things worse.

ReputationRep:

Well we're not going to do anything about it are we? We can't help you if you have no will power. Go to the doctor's and get some meds to break you out of the cycle and then start learning how to play the accordion or something. Whatever you do, if you approach it with a positive mental attitude it'll be worth it and also lead to further opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShowMeYourSpine)
    I really despair at some of the replies to the OP. I wish people with no understanding of depression and how to deal with depression would stop trying to give advice about it! You're not helping and if anything you're just making things worse.
    OP asked for advice so we're giving them advice that we think is appropriate. If they only wanted advice from people who knew how to deal with depression sensitively then they should have gone to a different source; TSR isn't exactly known for it's kind and caring atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably going to be the most negative reply so far, but someone needs to be honest with you.

(1) You have screwed up quite a bit. Your CV is pretty ruined. You will never become a top person in your field.

(2) It seems you are to blame for most of your problems. Poor attendance? (Potentially) failing exams? Sorry mate, your fault.

But here's the good news: You can still have a decent life. Work on your discipline, focus on doing good in school, and most things will come to you: Success and knowledge make interesting (=> friends) and attractive (=> girls). You'll just graduate a bit later and will need to have added qualifications over your competitors in the job market, but it's nothing that can't be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    OP asked for advice so we're giving them advice that we think is appropriate.
    Well next time, don't. Not in a situation as serious as this, where someone is clearly depressed and potentially suicidal, because frankly doing so is just plain irresponsible.

(Original post by History-Student)
    If they only wanted advice from people who knew how to deal with depression sensitively then they should have gone to a different source
    How does that justify giving advice to troubled person when you are clearly not in any way remotely qualified to do so? Just why would anyone do that? (Excluding the usual trolls, utter *****...etc) Would you go into say, the computing section of this forum and try to give computing advice when you had no clue on the subject? No? Then why do it in a situation like this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.