Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happened to Saint Vince Cable and Saint Nick Clegg? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Personally i think that people are making too much of the whole situation.

The liberal Democrats support coalition governements which will lead to coalitions or minority governements, thus the real issue here is not that the Liberal Democrats formed a coalition with the Conservatives, but that the party is deeply divided, between the old SDP leaning side of the party (Charles Kenedy, Paddy Ashdown), and the Orange bookers (Nick Clegg), thus people supporting the SDP section of the party hate the coalition.

The fact is that aside from tuition fees, the Liberal Democrats have done nothing wrong, have a chance for voting reform in May and are having the income tax threshold increased to around £550 per month from April meaning that most students on here will pay no tax, yet i have not heard one drip of acknowledgement for this.

In regards to the polls, Clegg Mania resulted in a polling of 34% April 20th, 23% May 6th and an average of 10% December 20th. I personally think that a lot rides on AV. If AV goes through, the party will not hate Clegg so much and while i cannot see an improvement in vote share, 18-22% is possible, if AV is not passed and Nick Clegg is in power for the next election then (14-18%) is realistic.

In conclusion, the Liberal Democrats need AV because they will not increase their vote share in 2015, but provided they get a youngish leader, they should be in the mid twenties again in 2020. Regardless, Nick Clegg will not be leader of the Liberal Democrats in 2016.

Just a side note, but i say all that as a Conservative supporter, not a Liberal Democrat supporter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Only a few months ago most of you were worshipping the ground they walked on.

What happened? How changeable you are!
    What happened to them being a bunch of political lightweights not fit to govern the country....? The Tories invited them into government :eek:

Would Maggie Thatcher have had Nick Clegg as her Deputy...?

ReputationRep:
    What happened to Nick Griffin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.