Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abujasim)
    yeh around 64 applicants with interviews, probably a bit less. we had about 50 last year

i'd love to do the tour but they'll probably get one of the 2nd or 3rd years to do it cos theres still a lot of places around the dental school which we (the 1st years) are not too familiar with (since we havent started treating patients yet, but will do in a few months hopefully) so my tour would be a bit crap tbh
    Mohammed, is there any reason to choose Aberdeen over any other Uni (Other than the free laptop of course )? Do they teach in the traditional method? Also when do you first have clinical contact in the course?

I heard something like if you promise to stay in Scotland after you graduate, you are promised 4000 pounds as they're desperate for dentists, is this in anyway true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UR4)
    Hey

I'm still waiting to hear from Aberdeen and Kings .
    Abu Jasim what is the timetable like for first yr dental students. Is it all day everyday and how often do u have phantom head sessions.

dont worry about not getting told about a potential interview at aberdeen yet, notification for the interview are always given two weeks before the interview date, so the majority of people have still not been told about their interview, next batch of interviews will be given around 9th february i think!

yeh we have things to do everyday, a very busy day would be from 9-4 with an hour for lunch, you'd usually have a day or two in a week where its like that, other days might also be from 9-4 or 10-4 but you would have some free time inbetween lectures. its pretty intense in first year with all the material they throw at you, but its ok, you get used to it. the material isn't difficult, its just a lot to do

in 1st semester, we worked on phantom heads once a week. we still work on them once a week now in second semester, but we also do another day where we go into the clinical rooms and do procedures on each other, like oral examinations and checking all the teeth for fillings and caries etc we've started doing fillings and drilling teeth on the phantom heads right now which is really great fun

and hopefully, if we pass all our exams from now to May, we will start working on real patients then

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an interview on the 23rd?? For people who had theirs, how did it go?? Also, why did you guys choose Aberdeen??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    has ne1 had an interview at aberdeen yet? what questions they ask?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I just had the interview at aberdeen, its ok , important thing to remember is to be your self and be confident. The manual dexterity thing isn't so bad, just make sure you think things through before you start on it. There's one booth where I was asked a scientific question related to dentistry so be warned. Have your reasons for why Aberdeen to hand.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mohammad
    i was just wondering what sort of preparation can we do for the manual dexterity and patient care task?
    -SJM

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had anymore offers for interviews? if so did they come by post or email?

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen offer!!!!

who else has heard?

ReputationRep:
    an actual offer or interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dentaltherapist15)
    an actual offer or interview?
    an offer offer, pretty sure interviewing finished near the beginning of the month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scistudent)
    an offer offer, pretty sure interviewing finished near the beginning of the month
    congrats man!! via email or post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OB2)
    congrats man!! via email or post
    thanks

track update, hopefully you will hear soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scistudent)
    Aberdeen offer!!!!

who else has heard?
    Congratulations

I've got to stop checking this site... making me even more nervous :P!! When did you have your interview? I had my interview on the last day and they said they'd let us know by next wed give or take a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzgzgz)
    Congratulations

I've got to stop checking this site... making me even more nervous :P!! When did you have your interview? I had my interview on the last day and they said they'd let us know by next wed give or take a few days.
    thanks,

hopefully your patience will pay off

ReputationRep:
    when i phoned up they said they were running interviews till the very end of march :s and that was about 8/9 days ago i called.

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer

Looked at accommodation, kings hall and elphinstone road are the options. Kings

is closer (marginally).

Anyone planning on doing private accom in 1st year to save money?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Quissa!
    Congrats...i luked at accomodation and found spring gardens the closest...having said that i am looking for pvt accomodation to rent..but haven't found anything that is close to the uni...

ReputationRep:
    Still no news from Aberdeen... unsuccessful? Anyone else still not heard? Is it worth calling up or just sit tight? eeek!

ReputationRep:
    Hey i knw off sum1 who was unsuccessful...so that mite mean u r thru???dnt give up hope

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.