Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Bob Dylan the greatest songwriter ever? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oasis are ****. Don't even mention them.

Dylan = Lennon > Young = Drake = Cohen = Wilson = Reed.

Probably.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you said songwriter and not singer.
    Because in that case, I think there is a very good chance he is.
    Most of his songs read like pure poetry.

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that he's deffo the best lyric writer of modern times - a direct descendant, as far as I can tell, of the Beat poets and the whole On the Road generational vibe.

However I haven't listened to much of the man. The music itself isn't really my sort of thing, you see.

(Edit: if you enjoy Bob's lyrical style I would highly recommend you check out the Beat poets, when I was reading Ginsberg last year I wrote the best poem I've ever written all in one go.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Whatever :plz2:
    True it does go under Greater Manchester but in written addresses it's referred to as Salford, Manchester and even has an M postcode and it shares its Central Business District with Manchester so they are essentially one and the same.

I was born in Salford but lived and studied, raised in Manchester and the Greater Manchester area and consider myself a proud Mancunian as all residents of Greater Manchester should be. Thankfully I didn't get saddled with the accent, all that private schooling thrashed it out of me.

ReputationRep:
    He is one of the greatest, but as somebody else said, it's subjective, depends what you want from a song.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah "The Times They are a Changin'" was used during the intro for Watchmen. Quite appropriate actually given there's a scene referring to JFK's assassination and the fact the very song was inspired by that event.

Really beautiful song. If I made a video about my life that would be the song I want in the background. Infact I listen to it before any major exam or life-event. It kind of reminds me that we're all mortal and have our limitations and whatever is going to happen, you have to adapt and change with that accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    As a Manchester lad I used to worship Oasis then as I grew older I realised they were just a bunch of obnoxious prats who despite their rants of being "Manchester Till they die" they live down South and hardly ever venture back to the North. Infact they've been to more Man City away games than they have home games, some fans!
    They're not my favourite band from Manchester, the majority of their songs being a drone, but I still do like some of their stuff, which is why I disagreed with that idiotic South Manchester fool.

ReputationRep:
    True it does go under Greater Manchester but in written addresses it's referred to as Salford, Manchester and even has an M postcode and it shares its Central Business District with Manchester so they are essentially one and the same.

I was born in Salford but lived and studied, raised in Manchester and the Greater Manchester area and consider myself a proud Mancunian as all residents of Greater Manchester should be. Thankfully I didn't get saddled with the accent, all that private schooling thrashed it out of me.
    The only reason why I don't have the accent anymore is because I moved down to London when I was 8.

ReputationRep:
    Brian Wilson without a doubt. He's the 20th Century Mozart. He's not just a very talented song writer, he's a musical genius. By the age of 23, with one functional ear and no musical training Brian could write incredible complex songs, with dozens of instruments and highly intricate vocal harmonies that he had all worked out in his head.

Then he could produce sound perfection, such was his closeness to the sound. Not to mention his then beautiful falsetto when it came to the lead vocal.

What is most amazing, is that he would write incredibly complex pieces of music... that would sound pretty simple. That takes skill.

As George Martin put it "Brian Wilson is the greatest musical genius of the 20th century".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    I'm glad you said songwriter and not singer.
    Because in that case, I think there is a very good chance he is.
    Most of his songs read like pure poetry.
    Yeah, people always seem to hate his voice. I can see why people don't like it, but you don't necessarily need to have a great voice to sing good songs (look at Ozzy Osbourne).

(Original post by Arekkusu)
    I would argue that he's deffo the best lyric writer of modern times - a direct descendant, as far as I can tell, of the Beat poets and the whole On the Road generational vibe.

However I haven't listened to much of the man. The music itself isn't really my sort of thing, you see.

(Edit: if you enjoy Bob's lyrical style I would highly recommend you check out the Beat poets, when I was reading Ginsberg last year I wrote the best poem I've ever written all in one go.)
    I really enjoyed On the Road. I don't know much about poetry so I'll certainly look into that, another great way to procrastinate. The Internet is a bottomless well of them.

Yeah "The Times They are a Changin'" was used during the intro for Watchmen. Quite appropriate actually given there's a scene referring to JFK's assassination and the fact the very song was inspired by that event.

Really beautiful song. If I made a video about my life that would be the song I want in the background. Infact I listen to it before any major exam or life-event. It kind of reminds me that we're all mortal and have our limitations and whatever is going to happen, you have to adapt and change with that accordingly.
    I listen to that song whenever I feel I've had a major epiphany or advanced in some way. That and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture when I'm feeling a tad victorious. :h:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    They're not my favourite band from Manchester, the majority of their songs being a drone, but I still do like some of their stuff, which is why I disagreed with that idiotic South Manchester fool.
    In my opinion The Smiths were probably the best band to come out of Manchester but in recent years Morissey has proven himself to be a xenophobic biggot and being British-Indian obviously I'm not going to particularly warm to an individual who harbours racist/prejudiced views (his views on immigration, Chinese people etc).

As I said as time has gone on I've tended to look more at the person behind the music. Dylan's songs said a lot about him as a person as did John Lennon's and even Michael Jackson's (even though he was a little bonkers).

Even though it was a cover, Elvis' version of "You Are Always On My Mind" was quite heart wrenching as you could feel his sadness and anguish through the song over his split from Priscilla.

Man in the Mirror is another of those songs that does it for me i.e. conveying an inspiring message. Even though Jacko didn't write the song entirely himself, I can't think of anyone better who could have sang it (except Bob Dylan).

But yeah the Gallaghers were a bunch of morons and it was that moronic behaviour that caused them to self implode. It annoys me when people regard the Gallaghers as "Manchester's greatest sons". They're an absolute disgrace and probably the most terrible role model you could think of.

If there was a man who defined Manchester music, culture and the city and it's people it was Anthony Wilson (Factory Records). It's a shame 3 years on from his death there isn't a memorial or anything to commemorate a man who did so much to put Manchester on the map and support local businesses and charities.

It's something I'm working on though; a campaign to have a permanent memorial for Anthony Wilson. Watch this space.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Next

ReputationRep:
    Can't say definitively, but the names that immediately spring to mind are:
    Bob Dylan
    Bruce Springsteen
    Leonard Cohen
    Lennon/McCartney
    Cat Stevens
    John Frusciante (for his solo work, not his work with RCHP)

I would say that the Gallaghers are/were just a poor man's Lennon/McCartney, but as others have said, it's each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    As a Manchester lad I used to worship Oasis then as I grew older I realised they were just a bunch of obnoxious prats who despite their rants of being "Manchester Till they die" they live down South and hardly ever venture back to the North. Infact they've been to more Man City away games than they have home games, some fans!

They did some great songs but ultimately never really broke massive ground internationally especially in the States. Everybody (including Oasis themselves) tries to compare them to the Beatles which I think is a massive insult to the Beatles.

Also, whatever little shred of respect I had for them went out of the window when Noel Gallagher insulted Michael Jackson's memory the day after his death. I mean who does Noel Gallagher think he is? When Michael Jackson died, the entire world mourned his death. When Oasis split up, nobody shed a tear or gave two hoots.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of songs I like. Oasis was part of my childhood but as I've got older I tend to look at artists not just by the songs they produce or the message it delivers but also who they are as people. When I was younger I thought I wanted to grow up to be just like the Gallaghers. Looks like I was saved a terrible fate.
    Oasis fans are probably among the truest fans I've ever seen; once an Oasis never fan, always an Oasis fan that's my motto. Also, they're rock stars especially Liam what do you expect.

They'll live forever, especially in Manchester! :awesome: I don't care if they've broken America anyway. It's hardly the mark of a good musician.
    Michael Jackson, although talented is probably one of the most overrated stars ever especially when you compare him to the likes of Prince who is probably one of the most underrated stars ever don't even get me started in MJ. He didn't even write loads of his hits, he never played musical instruments and his dancing was just contrived.

Liam - legend.
    Noel - god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolawonder)
    That's completely subjective. In my opinion Stevie Wonder is the Mozart of our times...Dylan is great but what about McCartney, Brian Wilson etc?
    Fancy seeing you here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Oasis fans are probably among the truest fans I've ever seen; once an Oasis never fan, always an Oasis fan that's my motto. Also, they're rock stars especially Liam what do you expect.

They'll live forever, especially in Manchester! :awesome: I don't care if they've broken America anyway. It's hardly the mark of a good musician.
    Michael Jackson, although talented is probably one of the most overrated stars ever especially when you compare him to the likes of Prince who is probably one of the most underrated stars ever don't even get me started in MJ. He didn't even write loads of his hits, he never played musical instruments and his dancing was just contrived.

Liam - legend.
    Noel - god.
    Actually Michael Jackson did write a lot of his own music and you can hardly call him overrated when you look at the amount of number 1 hits he amassed worldwide, his record sales and the fact he was respected and adored the world over.

Oasis won't live forever in Manchester. Infact the younger generation couldn't give two hoots about them. They never topped WTSMG and just remained stuck in 1995.

Michael Jackson was racking up hits by the age of 10 and was consistently a world-class performer. And I think he did play the piano.

And you can't seriously call Michael Jackson overrate and then fix godlike status onto the Gallaghers.

And actually if you claim to be a good musician or amongst the best, then you'd tend to have worldwide appeal. Oasis didn't have that and as I said nobody cared when they split up but the world mourned when Michael Jackson passed away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    Brian Wilson without a doubt. He's the 20th Century Mozart. He's not just a very talented song writer, he's a musical genius. By the age of 23, with one functional ear and no musical training Brian could write incredible complex songs, with dozens of instruments and highly intricate vocal harmonies that he had all worked out in his head.

Then he could produce sound perfection, such was his closeness to the sound. Not to mention his then beautiful falsetto when it came to the lead vocal.

What is most amazing, is that he would write incredibly complex pieces of music... that would sound pretty simple. That takes skill.

As George Martin put it "Brian Wilson is the greatest musical genius of the 20th century".
    I adore the Beach Boys, but he isn't the greatest songwriter ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    MATE, I don't bring this up often for obvious reasons but I was born in Wythenshawe. I WILL headbutt you to the ground if you insult me again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    MATE, I don't bring this up often for obvious reasons but I was born in Wythenshawe. I WILL punch you to the ground if you insult me again.
    Typical of a Wythenshawe native.

Isn't it something like Europe's largest council estate? It should be flattened to the ground to construct an extra runway for Manchester Aiport if you ask me.

It's not like Wythenshawe or its people would be missed particularly.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I should've also said that my favourite Dylan songs are "With God on Our Side" because of the biting irony and dry humour, as well as "Hurricane".

Pistol shots ring out in the barroom night
    Enter Patty Valentine from the upper hall.
    She sees the bartender in a pool of blood,
    Cries out, "My God, they killed them all!"

That's the opening lines of "Hurricane" and it reads like a movie script. You see it all going on inside your head thanks to descriptive, yet easily accessible lyrics. Very few songwriters have that capability.

I think early Springsteen had it. He could conjour up images in your head. For instance, besides the first verse, I can see everything in my head when I listen to "Lost in the Flood".

These guys are so good at their art that, momentarily, they take you somewhere else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.