Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any fans of Electronic/"IDM"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Electronica isn't an umbrella term for any form of EDM, man, it's electronic music which isn't made specifically for dancing to, i.e. IDM, ambient, downtempo etc. as well as artists that don't really have a genre outside of the 'electronica' remit like Manitoba/Caribou. What else would you suggest for artists like Aphex Twin and Autechre? Post-techno? Electronic listening music?
    Seriously, just call it electronic music, as the general term. We could argue all night long about the sub-genres for Aphex and Autechre... IDM, ambient techno, "drill 'n' bass" (I love that one).

The extra "a" in electronicA means nothing

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, most of the time if I say electronica to someone they know what I mean. I get where you're coming from but calling everything electronic music just sounds even more confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd be more inclined to call this sort of stuff "Electronica" than just electronic music. Surely electronic music could be anything that uses synthesizers etc.?! Ridiculously broad.

ReputationRep:
    James Zabiela
    Booka Shade
    Caribou
    Aeroplane
    Trentmoller
    Adam Beyer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    I don't know, most of the time if I say electronica to someone they know what I mean. I get where you're coming from but calling everything electronic music just sounds even more confusing.
    I know. When people ask me what sort of music i like it's a bit of a challenge as i would say electronica is the equivalent of rock, a very vague term to describe very much different music. There's a lot of stuff like Leftfield and Orbital i would have no idea how to classify tbh. But yes this music was heavenly in the 90s. Just a ridiculous amount of amazing innovation and quality.

These days the so called IDM term i would use to descrive the likes of Moderat, Modeselektor, Burial etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    These days the so called IDM term i would use to descrive the likes of Moderat, Modeselektor, Burial etc
    Burial... IDM?!?

How? How much IDM have you heard that has two-step beats in it... it's normally four on the floor.

Burial is definately dubstep/2-step garage.

ReputationRep:
    Dark ambient **** is where it's at, fools.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say Burial is IDM but there is def. a discernable IDM influence in there.

ReputationRep:
    IEM then. Intelligent electronic music.

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:

surprised nobody has mentioned Venetian Snares yet! Bloody awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Any fans of Plaid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :wavey:

surprised nobody has mentioned Venetian Snares yet! Bloody awesome.
    He's good but he's breakcore, not IDM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Any fans of Plaid?
    Yep, Double Figure (Assault On Precinct Zero..). :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    I've not listened to a huge amount of minimal, I find I can only listen to it for so long and it takes a certain mood, but some of the better known producers/djs off the top of my head are

Richie Hawtin
    Magda
    Ricardo Villalobos
    Loco Dice
    Sven Vath
    Matthew Dear
    Magda is pretty hot aswell. I'dd add Luciano to that list too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.