Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Social Network's chances at the OSCARS Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    I was talking about 2010, not 2009.

Avatar already went through the Oscars in 2010, it's gone, end of, finito.

2010 IMO hasn't been anything to really shout from the hilltops about but as I haven't yet seen The Social Network, I can't say that with any sincere conviction.

However all I can say is that probably wouldn't give the true Oscar winning classics like the Godfather, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump a run for their money and if it did win a Best Picture award it would be an insult to those great movies mentioned.

Avatar was 2009 and yes that was a fantastic and exceptional film and I don't think whoever saw that movie will forget it in a hurry.
    I know, I made a mistake.

I wouldn't say The Social Network or any other film released this year is a classic but that doesn't mean this year has been a bad year for films.

Besides because a movie wins an Oscar doesn't mean it's necessarily worth its weight in gold. Most would agree that it was a travesty that the Dark Knight was completely overlooked at the 2009 Oscars and let's be honest, was Slumdog Millionaire more iconic than the Dark Knight? The Dark Knight will be remembered if anything for Heath Ledger's amazing portrayal of the Joker and the fact that it probably is the best super-hero movie of all time.

The Oscars aren't the be all and end all. Pulp Fiction didn't win any but would you call Pul Fiction a bad movie?
    Personally, I'm not surprised that Slumdog beat the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight's success was significantly down to Heath Ledger. :yes:

:no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    I know, I made a mistake.

I wouldn't say The Social Network or any other film released this year is a classic but that doesn't mean this year has been a bad year for films.

Personally, I'm not surprised that Slumdog beat the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight's success was significantly down to Heath Ledger. :yes:

:no:
    You can't say Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhall didn't put in a good performance?

And ofcourse the contributions of the legendary Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine, it was a fanatastic film. Slumdog Millionaire was just some OTT sob story about poverty in India. I mean come on, much worse than that happens in India. And besides it was an inaccurate title, on the exchange rate he wouldn't have been a millionaire and he was neither a dog.

It was still a good film but as a British-Indian I couldn't help that part of it's appeal was that it portrayed India (or I should say some aspects of Indian culture) in a negative light even if sadly some of those things do actually happen. I just didn't think it left as big an impression on me as say The Dark Knight which I don't think many of us will forget in a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    You can't say Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhall didn't put in a good performance?

And ofcourse the contributions of the legendary Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine, it was a fanatastic film. Slumdog Millionaire was just some OTT sob story about poverty in India. I mean come on, much worse than that happens in India. And besides it was an inaccurate title, on the exchange rate he wouldn't have been a millionaire and he was neither a dog.

It was still a good film but as a British-Indian I couldn't help that part of it's appeal was that it portrayed India (or I should say some aspects of Indian culture) in a negative light even if sadly some of those things do actually happen. I just didn't think it left as big an impression on me as say The Dark Knight which I don't think many of us will forget in a hurry.
    I wouldn't say that. :nah:

:yes: Yes, worse things have happened. He wasn't a dog but he was a slumdog. :yes:

They are both very good films; I remember more of Slumdog than I do of The Dark Knight.

I respect your opinion. Shall we leave it at that? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    As for your opinion on good films that's just it, it's your opinion. I see your point about movies gaining a second life some time into the future. The Shining believe it or not was a complete flop when it was first released but is now considered one of the most iconic horror/supernatural thrillers.
    Yes, you can say it is just my opinion. However, with the sheer volume of quality releases this year it's difficult for me to fathom how there could be many disappointed people with the films on offer.

I am well aware The Shining wasn't a success. And it is by no means an isolated event, just look at films like Shawshank Redemption, Scarface and Fight Club.

It's a matter of personal opinion but in my opinion there hasn't been a movie this year which I think ten years from now I'd probably remember vividly having first watched in the cinema.

For me the best film I ever watched in the cinema was Gladiator and I still very much remember when I first saw it, hard to believe that was 10 years ago. That's what makes a memorable movie.
    I think we have very different views of what makes a year good for films. For you I think it has to be an event, something which is memorable and will last. For me, I need more breadth than depth; if there was a classic released but that was the only film of merit I would be disappointed. However, if there are a lot of strong films for their genres released then collectively I am very pleased. So while from your point of view 2010 may not seem that strong compared to other years, I think it is.

I also think that something memorable in the cinema depends on a lot more factors than just the film itself. Two of the films I remember most vividly seeing at the cinema are The Fox and The Hound and The Prisoner of Azkaban. These are not great films, but I doubt I will ever forget the day I saw them because of what they meant to me. A film has to do something more to impress me than just stick in my mind.

Besides because a movie wins an Oscar doesn't mean it's necessarily worth its weight in gold. Most would agree that it was a travesty that the Dark Knight was completely overlooked at the 2009 Oscars and let's be honest, was Slumdog Millionaire more iconic than the Dark Knight? The Dark Knight will be remembered if anything for Heath Ledger's amazing portrayal of the Joker and the fact that it probably is the best super-hero movie of all time.

The Oscars aren't the be all and end all. Pulp Fiction didn't win any but would you call Pul Fiction a bad movie?
    I'm not too sure why you wrote this. I've never tried to suggest otherwise with regards to the Oscars.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.