The Student Room Group

School Uniforms: Looking at both sides of the argument

Scroll to see replies

There has been much debate on whether or not school uniforms should be permanently banned from all public schools. In other words, school uniforms will never exist in public schools in America. This would prevent it from happening in the future, which is a good thing. I believe they should be made illegal, because there is no reason to have them and it's been proven that students perform better without them. There's no reason not to ban them and there are tons of reasons to ban them. What are your thoughts on school uniforms being outlawed?
Here's what a grown man wrote looking back at high school upon graduating a few years ago, in which he experienced both public and private schools, one without uniforms (obviously public) and one with (obviously private):
I went to a private school up until 10th grade (I couldn't STAND private school) and our uniforms were so strict (white button up shirt, black pants, black/white socks, black shoes, blazer with school logo on it) that if you did not wear your blazer during winter months you'd get written up. NOBODY was to take it off. And girls could not wear pants during the winter which was absolutely ridiculous considering it gets COLD here. They even measured skirts and checked our socks. I did not leave for the uniform, I left because the students were just pure rude and stuck up. I hated it. I loved public school, although it is very laid back and does have its problems, Private School can be just as bad at times only exception is that they don't make it public bc they don't want their reputation ruined. Students get expelled and fights etc... happen as well.

Link: http://golivewire.com/forums/peer-eysabpe-support-yn.html#26
No. I hate waking up in the morning and having to decide what on earth i am going to wear. Uniforms make things easier.
Besides, it makes everyone look the same, which is a good thing because otherwise there could be issues between students that dress differently.
Reply 23
Original post by SaturnVengeance
There's no reason not to ban them and there are tons of reasons to ban them.

You haven't really mentioned any. Care to?

Edit-Also, just as a point, 'public' schools, is another name for a type of private schools, you should use 'state' to avoid confusion really.
(edited 13 years ago)
I think that uniforms should be allowed, but be restricted - eg. no sexism allowed for the uniform rules.
Reply 25
Obviously when you are a kid you don't like your uniform. Looking back as an adult, I think they are generally a positive thing for schools to have. It puts less pressure on children (especially girls) to look a certain way. They probably help behaviour as kids are so preoccupied with breaking the uniform (a minor rule) rule they aren't doing worse things.
Some of the blazers are very expensive though (those uniform shops are a joke). As issues go, it is a pretty big non-issue.
Reply 26
Uniforms are a very good thing and should be strictly enforced by the Senior Master of each school. It is a fundamental part of British schooling and to remove them would be to pick away further at the fabric of one of the finest institutions of education in the modern world.

Already, uniform requirements are too leniently enforced, pupils do not have any enough respect for or fear of authority and a lack of religious guidance with the diminishing importance of the Chaplain threatens the educational and developmental successes of schools across the nation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Your poll is not fair.

add:

No, they should not be banned.

I had to vote for other.
No, I liked wearing uniform. It made me feel smart and meant that it wasn't a competition to look the most fashionable. I wouldn't have wanted to wear normal clothes all the time as I'd have felt certain girls (bitchy 'popular' fashion queens) were passing judgement on whatever I wore. Besides, it meant that when we had the occasional non-uniform day, it felt more special.
Majority of public schools here in US don't have uniforms in. Usually its only the boarding schools.
But i miss wearing uniform though, it makes me not have to waste my time picking of something to wear the next day.
Reply 30
No! Its all part of that amazing time of your life called High School. Take the uniform away and you take away part of your childhood!

-Students work better when they are able to choose their own attire.

What?? Since when?

-This is one thing that separates public schools from private schools, since private (often religious) schools have them, and public schools don't

Again, total rubbish.

-Uniforms would promote violence, since many people don't like the idea of school uniforms, so more people would shoot up school board meetings.

Again, what the hell are you talking about?

Here's what a grown man wrote looking back at high school upon graduating a few years ago, in which he experienced both public and private schools, one without uniforms (obviously public) and one with (obviously private):

Link: http://golivewire.com/forums/peer-eysabpe-support-yn.html#26

Perhaps you would like to re-read your own post.
The guy says he left not because of the uniform, but because of the attitudes the people had there.
That quote could be used as an argument regarding state and private schools, but it has nothing to do with uniforms.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Schools should keep their uniforms. Does anyone remember 'own clothes days'? It was a nightmare finding the 'right' clothes because you were judged based on what you wore (at least the girls, anyway). Uniforms are a good thing, there isn't pressure to be fashionable or dress in ways to gain approval from others.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33

-Uniforms have proven

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
(edited 13 years ago)
The majority are for 'other' asyou havn't posted an option saying no, they should not be banned. (without saying that they should be frowned upon)

The poll options are biased against uniforms
Reply 35
Wearing uniform is great, what I hate is how some schools are now saying you can't have your own hair look a certain way.
an unbiased argument there : :rolleyes:
Reply 37
CBA reading it all, but I've never worn a school uniform, never had problems with people pointing out classes etc. It's just normal. Nobody looks at you enough to try to determine which social class you are from, and if you're rich or poor, who cares teddybears?
Reply 38
Original post by angrydanmarin
The majority are for 'other' asyou havn't posted an option saying no, they should not be banned. (without saying that they should be frowned upon)

The poll options are biased against uniforms

The poll? You mean his whole post, its actually amusing.
hhmmmm......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending