Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So frustrated: Can't find a job anywhere. Don't want to waste gap year :s Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    Where did you find a job? And by what method did you get it? I.e. by online / phone / letter / email application?

Thanks.
    I used Directgov website and pretty much applied to every job.
    I signed up to recruitment website.

I have done the online applications stuff to pretty much everywhere you have listed and more. Then I also sent out my CV to local shops.
    In the end, I got offer interviews at Greggs and Asda but I only went to Asda one and I'm working there at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    No, I haven't tried my job centre. Actually I don't even know where my local job centre is. Is there any point really trying it out there?
    Yeah definitely...Find out where your nearest one is (I think you can find out online at jobcentreplus or something) and give them a visit.

ReputationRep:
    Hand out CV's. Aslong as you're capable of making a decent first impression it's likely that you'll get a job interview.

ReputationRep:
    I looked for jobs on Monster, reed, and totaljobs.

Sometimes there is quite a bit of sifting involved but it does come out with a result in the end.

Since I started looking in October, I got an interview with Lloyds TSB, Virgin Media and BT (I'm really crap at phone interviews though).

I got a job at Debenhams after applying online but left due to a number of issues and I now have a job with Lloyds Pharmacy and have a face-face interview at BT.

So really I know it's easy to lose heart but if you keep at it you will get somewhere eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps try full time volunteering? It may not earn money but it's a fantastic addition to a CV and may help you find part time work whilst at uni and afterwards. There's one website I know of www.csv.org.uk. You can volunteer full time for between 4 and 12 months. You get free meals, accommodation, a weekly allowance and free travel to and from the placement. And maybe after the placement you'll still have some months before starting uni where you can find paid work.

ReputationRep:
    Doing a gap year just to work is a mistake anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend getting to a recruitment agency. As long as you're not a complete spaz, I'm sure they'll be able to hook you up with some temp role.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same OP have applied to more then 50 jobs both online and in store. I have a really good CV created by two professionals. I think that I fail because everyone wants experience and I have little or none specific to customer based roles. I've tried shops, call centres, internships, theatres, restaurants, NHS, etc... and nothing. So you're not the only one. It does feel like your wasting time doesn't it. I'd do voluntary work but travel is too expensive. Recruitment agencies have been rubbish from what I've seen plus the job centre tell me that they advertise a lot of bogus/old jobs to make them look good/get more applications.

ReputationRep:
    No, I haven't tried my job centre. Actually I don't even know where my local job centre is. Is there any point really trying it out there?
    They're naff all help when it comes to finding work (unless you get on New Deal, which I have heard positive things about from a friend), but they will give you £50pw, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick . . .

Have you thought about pubs / clubs etc.? They tend to have a fairly high staff turnover, and big chains are often fairly willing to take on staff with next to no experience.

ReputationRep:
    Hotels usually take people on but I think you've missed your chance now that christmas is over.

When I worked at a hotel, they hired tons of people for the days leading up to black friday and then just never contacted them again after it had all been done.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Don't give up. I know it's frustrating when you're starting out in the jobs market. Unfortunately we all have to start somewhere. I found that once I had one job, I then had enough experience to get another one, and so on. I've had lot of jobs in my life so far (I'm 28) and I'm proud of the experiences I've had and the things I've learnt from each one.

Registering with agencies may be difficult for you without some work experience. All my local ones (I live in London) require at least six month's work experience. But you can still try.

I also got my first paid job (in retail) because I volunteered in a charity shop which developed the right skills in till work and people skills for retail work.

Find your local Job Centre at www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk

I have twice got jobs via the Job Centre and I recommend them!

Good luck

Beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethan2)
    Hello,

Don't give up. I know it's frustrating when you're starting out in the jobs market. Unfortunately we all have to start somewhere. I found that once I had one job, I then had enough experience to get another one, and so on. I've had lot of jobs in my life so far (I'm 28) and I'm proud of the experiences I've had and the things I've learnt from each one.

Registering with agencies may be difficult for you without some work experience. All my local ones (I live in London) require at least six month's work experience. But you can still try.

I also got my first paid job (in retail) because I volunteered in a charity shop which developed the right skills in till work and people skills for retail work.

Find your local Job Centre at www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk

I have twice got jobs via the Job Centre and I recommend them!

Good luck

Beth
    Thanks for your help.

I actually do have experience of part-time working during weekends and holidays from December 2007 to August 2010. So, I don't know if part-time would be accepted or not. If yes, which agency you would recommend. How does it work once I register with them. Is it that they will pass my details to possible employers and they will eventually contact me? Or how does it work?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I moved to exeter..****ing difficult to find a job in london.

I enjoyed a stint of extreme rage towards the government due to 5 months unemployment, adding to all the fake 9/11 etc

ReputationRep:
    Oh and before I got a job. I was looking all day everyday. Coming up with creative ideas about places to look, handing out CVs, on every stop on the train, dressing smart, asking the people I just asked if they know any jobs going. Lying on my CV.

Think of it like this, you make £6 an hour to work. Why not think of looking for a job in the same way, you will eventually get paid for it, so work hard and make your moves.

Prepare answers for interview questions from youtube as well.

While your unemployed. See the positives in the fact that you dont have to work all day.

Find something to do with your time, read books, use it as a mini vacation in your own house.

Ive got work all day long in a cafe. Then I go home and have to revise (but usually procrastinate)

ReputationRep:
    I did work experience at asda at the age of 15, I'm sure they do W/E putting this experience is good looking for retail stores...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Hand out CV's. Aslong as you're capable of making a decent first impression it's likely that you'll get a job interview.
    Shouldn't a covering letter be included?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if this has been mentioned but go into EVERYWHERE that you could work and hand in your CV. Realistically you'll probably end up handing out at least 50 of them and actually going in and enquiring when there's no sign looks a lot better than filling in a quick online application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)
    Doing a gap year just to work is a mistake anyway.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Shouldn't a covering letter be included?
    Yes probably but that takes lots of time. If you go in to a shop start some small talk, act "bubbly" and then explain that you want a job they'll probably remember you.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it doesn't depend on my A Level grades alone, but I mentioned them, because I am just frustrated and don't understand what the reason for rejections after rejections was for me. Now that you are mentioning skills, etc. I get a better understanding of what is required.
    You need to sell yourself and grades dont sell, big yourself up and put across your strengths sitting there saying i got an A in this is going to get you nowhere.

(Original post by aprilterri)
    I'm the same OP have applied to more then 50 jobs both online and in store. I have a really good CV created by two professionals. I think that I fail because everyone wants experience and I have little or none specific to customer based roles. I've tried shops, call centres, internships, theatres, restaurants, NHS, etc... and nothing. So you're not the only one. It does feel like your wasting time doesn't it. I'd do voluntary work but travel is too expensive. Recruitment agencies have been rubbish from what I've seen plus the job centre tell me that they advertise a lot of bogus/old jobs to make them look good/get more applications.
    This is very true - I am currently trying to find a new line of work and have been for the last two months - Im still employed (though i despise it so much i wish i wasnt) and its a nightmare to get anywhere, in my field i could walk into pretty much any job but i dont want it, i want out. But because i dont have specific experiance its very hard.

Only thing i can suggest OP is just keep trying, try sales role call centres, there they go by personality rather than experiance, yes its a crap job but better than sat at home

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.