ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Well hai there :sexface:

haha the song is constantly overplayed on my ipod..why? i don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesha_al)
    haha the song is constantly overplayed on my ipod..why? i don't know
    It's so addictive, the production is amazing. The whole album is just :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I've always found this one very sad, when you bear in mind the writer and singer would later go on to kill himself:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    Whilst I agree atmosphere is paramount in this kind of music, I still don't think artists should be able to get away with repetetive music...

As for this metal stuff, it's just about the only genre of music I've never delved into... it's just one of those things that's never really appealed to me. On top of that, metal probably has the least critical acclaim out of any genre (to my knowledge). No offence intended...
    Usually lacking from critical acclaim because a majority of it is hidden away from most critics; it's only those who other actually going deep into the genre (with at least base level knowledge of it being a preference, in my eyes) that come away with subject matter to write stuff about.

The amount of decent metal magazines is pretty dire, and even those who contain some decent bands don't go the depth down into the genre that they should IMHO. It's probably why there isn't much critical acclaim to it. On top of that, I'd imagine when most people think "metal" they think Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc (bands of old) and Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine (bands of new, both of which I dislike quite a lot, it must be said) and nothing else. They don't realise how many thousands of bands there are that are hidden away.

ReputationRep:
    this is going to sounds strange, but when i listen to this, i cry (the words are beautiful, the instruments...fml)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHUKVoYbdc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    It's so addictive, the production is amazing. The whole album is just :sogood:
    true that. i love 'see me now' beyonce says the n-word:eek: buts its still good i've actually forgiven him over that whole 'mtvtaylorimmaletyoufinishgate'
    took a while though

ReputationRep:

Donnie Darko... :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    It was too obviously trying to make me sad and so I wasn't (plus she looks like my cousin and sounds like Reese Witherspoon in Walk The Line which is enough to make anyone want to stop listening/watching due to confusion)

It's the sneakier songs that are sadder, by people like New Order and Talking Heads and Tears For Fears, where they pretend to sound happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    It's the sneakier songs that are sadder, by people like New Order and Talking Heads and Tears For Fears, where they pretend to sound happy.
    The perfect example of this Nick Drake... There is that wonderfull dichotomy between solemn lyricism and uplifting guitar playing. This is a good example; although, I know there are some better examples of what I mean...

ReputationRep:
    I would say:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    The perfect example of this Nick Drake... There is that wonderfull dichotomy between solemn lyricism and uplifting guitar playing. This is a good example; although, I know there are some better examples of what I mean...

Cheers for that, been meaning to give him a listen for ages.

Who is that in your signature by the way?

ReputationRep:

there's gonna be one less lonely girl....:moon:

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Cheers for that, been meaning to give him a listen for ages.

Who is that in your signature by the way?
    It's me... please don't laugh... No, I don't even know how I found him.

But, you MUST give him a listen. Not enough people realise just how talented he was. Also, read some biographical stuff on him; you'll understand his music on a deeper level if you do.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7ZTZAQBns

Painfully beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Bit cliched, but Street Spirit by Radiohead.

Also this quite incredible instrumental piece by Death. How to move one's soul with just an electric guitar and a tube amplifier.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4q0Xx-u1Y

oh, and forever autumn from the War of the Worlds soundtrack, sung by Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues.

ReputationRep:
    doesnt make me cry but great song none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQEML...eature=related
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I think at about 12 minutes a little drum bit kicks in, but from memory I think that's all the change in the song is. As I said, Slunce... isn't really the sort of music that Trist usually plays.

Concerning Sneni, black metal as a whole tends to be a bit repetitive sometimes, but that's mainly because a lot of it is done for the atmosphere it creates (the repetition in DSBM characterises the monotony of life, etc).

Edit: Funeral Doom as a whole is notorious for its' repetition:

That's the first ten minutes of a 20:30 length song, which seems to be roughly the same sort of length of most of the pieces that Esoteric release (most clock in somewhere between 10 minutes and 25).
    inb4 rundgang um die transzendentale saule der singularitat

Damn that song is boring...yet I've listened to it about 10 times on the basis of actually wanting to listen to the whole of filosofem start to finish regardless of how boring it gets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    inb4 rundgang um die transzendentale saule der singularitat

Damn that song is boring...yet I've listened to it about 10 times on the basis of actually wanting to listen to the whole of filosofem start to finish regardless of how boring it gets.
    Haha, that was the second song that came to mind. Varg must've driven the prison wardens insane with that song :teehee:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.