Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should we follow this lead to stop the fee rise??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    So what is the point of this thread then? :lolwut:
    to see what other people thought about it...get some discussion etc....

I personally think its a good idea (the original one) and would allow fees to be offset,

as you would have lower fees and no more idiots doing stupid courses

ReputationRep:
    You do know that people can part-time study with a loan right? Or even work whilst doing Open University modules?
    Not for every course, what about the likes of medicine etc which are out of reach for people that cant study fulltime, when we can cut costs in other areas.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes: We, apparently, have to cut down on CO2 emissions so I can't really see that happening.
    I dont support that policy, im with the scientists that support either Co2 captouring or the acceptance that the world isnt going to last for ever ie we are going to head into another ice age etc

Jobs can't be created overnight, neither can factories. Whether it would actually work in the long term and save the government money - we really do not know. Though, I'm highly supportive of the workfare principle if it actually benefits (no pun intended) the government and the public.
    I believe it can ie if we provide labour cheaper/same price as the like of china etc with no import tax for buisness and better quality then it can work. I would start with all the factories which are standing empty and incourage business to build here in return for cheap labour ie they only have to pay the benefits the unemployed would normally recieve.

ReputationRep:
    YOU'D CUT THE NUMBER OF PLACES,- WHY HAS NO ONE SAID THIS!?
    LESS UNIVERSITIES = FEWER PLACES.
    Less competition for places = LESS OF A QUALITY EDUCATION (perhaps)

Oh and Wales is very very different,- England and the English system is not the same, you can't apply this policy to England without doing damage.
    The government has looked at EVERY option, this is the option they have chosen, you're not some bright spark with an original idea,- do you know how many civil servants worked towards and on this policy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I'm not against the fee hike, I'm actually for it....cos it will stop all the idiots doing mickey mouse degrees at crap unis
    Maybe not, as far as I am aware fees do not have to increase for every course at every University. Oxbridge might charge maximum amount for say a Science degree, where Leeds Uni might charge 10% under the maximum.

In fact 'micky mouse' degreees at 'lesser Unis' may have a fee alot lower then elsewhere.

Just so its clear I do not hold to the view of lesser unis and micky mouse courses. If someone wants to study a Star wars degree at bognor regis then as long as its worthwhile for them then I wish them success

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whacks)
    Maybe not, as far as I am aware fees do not have to increase for every course at every University. Oxbridge might charge maximum amount for say a Science degree, where Leeds Uni might charge 10% under the maximum.

In fact 'micky mouse' degreees at 'lesser Unis' may have a fee alot lower then elsewhere.

Just so its clear I do not hold to the view of lesser unis and micky mouse courses. If someone wants to study a Star wars degree at bognor regis then as long as its worthwhile for them then I wish them success
    I fully agree with you on that point....but where my "beef" is in terms of the whole mickey mouse argument, is not that people can get a degree in those subjects, but that the government/taxpayer is footing the bill for it.....

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=super.teve;29029170][B]YOU'D CUT THE NUMBER OF PLACES,- WHY HAS NO ONE SAID THIS!?
    LESS UNIVERSITIES = FEWER PLACES.
    Less competition for places = LESS OF A QUALITY EDUCATION (perhaps)
    QUOTE]

how do you get to that conclusion?

and the money that would have gone to 200 unis would now go to 100, so the quality would improve as funding would effectively double....

less places isn't a bad thing as the 50% set by liebour is stupid...uni should be for the academic elite

ReputationRep:
    No, dont be silly. at least right now anyway.

Cutting whole universities not only undermine education as a whole anyway, but it also furthers academic elitism (which tends to favour richer kids or privately educated kids more than those in the state sector with poorer incomes) and would eventually lead to more people on the dole and depending more on the welfare state. If there was a situation where british students would go abroad, say to europe, the americas or even further, then maybe it would work. However, this is far from the case, and to cut valuable institutions which do a fantastic job on science and academic research is absolutely absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    However, this is far from the case, and to cut valuable institutions which do a fantastic job on science and academic research is absolutely absurd.
    I don't think that the OP is suggesting valuable institutions should be cut.

Not many mets or polys contribute to scientific research.

ReputationRep:
    So what is the point of this thread then? :lolwut:
    The point of this thread is to try to pacify you.

It should therefore be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I'm not against the fee hike, I'm actually for it....cos it will stop all the idiots doing mickey mouse degrees at crap unis
    How though?

Those wanting to do Mickey Mouse degrees can still take out the loans and get grants from the government and if anything its better for them.

They won't have to pay back anything until they earn over £21,000.

So they can go to university and study 'surfboard economics', come out and then get a job in HMV or Tesco and not pay a thing back.

Its still a free education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philster07)
    Yea ok lets just close all the pyrotechnics.... bye bye Derby, Sheffield Hallam etc. Merging them I wouldn't mind but still shouldn't give the tory's any le-way cause they will exploit it
    Personally I find the BA (Hons) in Fireworks very important to British society and am hurt you would even suggest closing any establishment connected to the fireworks industry.

ReputationRep:
    When will you morons realise the govt want universities to expand and increase courses. The UK is plummeting down the league table of developed nations producing graduates. That is what the Browne report was predicated on, a 10% increase in places. It wasn't possible for the taxpayer to fund the expansion so it will made to be self funding.

ReputationRep:
    They aren't going to change their minds just because thousands of Uni students decide to create WWIII. Although I'm against the increase, they obviously decided to treble tuition fees to help us in the long run

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    How though?

Those wanting to do Mickey Mouse degrees can still take out the loans and get grants from the government and if anything its better for them.

They won't have to pay back anything until they earn over £21,000.

So they can go to university and study 'surfboard economics', come out and then get a job in HMV or Tesco and not pay a thing back.

Its still a free education.
    they will be deterred by the high debts they will incur...

and I know it does work to some extent as the amout of people in my year who say they wouldn't go to uni at 9k, but would at 3k is silly....

ReputationRep:
    The solution is simple

Keep all universities in the top half of the table open.

Shut down the rest or if its feasible to merge then do so, if that university offers a unique course or so on.

Then use the money saved from the universities that have shut down to fund courses for students doing jobs that are likely to be of great benefit to the economy in the future.

Computing/Accounting/Medicine/Law/Engineering and so on. Basically the ones likely to get large salaries and pay a lot of tax in the future to aid the economy.

Use the money saved from the annual maintenence of the closed universities do add to research funds for the universities still open and therefore those going to those 50-60 institutions will be getting a top class education. Also, the top lecturers from universities lower down the table can be employed by the other universities giving a far better staff:student ratio.

I know that a rise in tuition fees is inevitable but it should be around the £5-6000 mark.

Also, as there is less university places then that means less graduating every year and the degree will become more valued as less will have it.

Scrap all degrees that do not lead to careers in the future as they are no benefit to anyone financially short term or long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    When will you morons realise the govt want universities to expand and increase courses. The UK is plummeting down the league table of developed nations producing graduates. That is what the Browne report was predicated on, a 10% increase in places. It wasn't possible for the taxpayer to fund the expansion so it will made to be self funding.
    would it not be better though to have less graduates, but have them all of super duper tip top quality, rather than churning them out by the thousands and have them of a low quality

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.