Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    YE, very respectable.
    I would go but i wouldnt travel down wales..
    like to stick to england. haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    To give a perspective for people looking to go into these areas. Surely that's not too complicated for you to understand?

Of course Bristol is a good uni, it's just not considered to be as tough for maths/science based subjects.
    The framing of your response to such an end was pretty poor to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    The framing of your response to such an end was pretty poor to say the least.
    Then I apologise for whatever I said that has made you so angry

ReputationRep:
    Good for engineering. That's about it.

ReputationRep:
    People claiming that Bristol is not good for arts and humanities clearly have no clue about the university, or arts and humanities for that matter. As a general university, Bristol absolutely trounces both Durham and Warwick; do people even realise just how much more money Bristol receive in research grants than the latter two (it is close to twice as much for Warwick, and more than twice as much than Durham)? In fact, 'mediocre' Russell Group universities like Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Southampton, Liverpool and Newcastle, and who would want to go to universities like those, all get more money than Durham and Warwick.

Most people's opinions of university reputations are based on nothing by the sounds of it.

ReputationRep:
    yah you should base your decision on where you should go for your undergraduate degree based on how much money they recieve from research grants :rolleyes:. Even if it was true, it would be nice to back that claim up with actual figures of the amount of research grant each recieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    yah you should base your decision on where you should go for your undergraduate degree based on how much money they recieve from research grants :rolleyes:. Even if it was true, it would be nice to back that claim up with actual figures of the amount of research grant each recieved.
    As opposed to basing your decision on reputation that has no basis in reality?

Nevertheless, if you cannot see the connection between money received from research grants from HEFCE and the quality of undergraduate experience then I honestly question what you can bring to a discussion of university standards; hint, hint, it might have something to do with the people you sit and listen to for the three years... Heavens, but what has that got to do with undergraduate students?... :rolleyes:

Total research funding (in £000s)

Bristol (8th highest) - 50,424
    Warwick (15th) - 32,633
    Durham (17th) - 25,511

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of Boxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    I would assume it's on par with St.Andrews/Nottingham/Bath/York/Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    I was always told that Bristol is where the "Oxbridge rejects" go. Is this true? I always thought it was an esteemed, respectable university, but I just read a thread where they kind of cast it aside, and said it wasn't as good as universities like Durham and Warwick. Plus, I remember looking at the League table a few months ago, and was surprised at how low down it was on the list. What do you think? I know places are highly competitive but is this a valid indication of its excellence? How would you rate it alongside other universities? Thank you
    to be honest people have to be realistic about where they want to go but out of unis bar oxford and cambridge bristol is one of the best. but it depends what subject your doing because obviously oxford and cambridge dont do some courses that bristol do so they can't be good in those areas

ReputationRep:
    This is for maths and from 2009, however it puts Bristol up there with oxbridge warwick and imperial:

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~b...s_league/2009/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Bristol and Durham are not generally targeted by top graduate employers, Warwick often is.

Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick are the six best unis. Then a gap. Then Bristol and Durham.

I can only speak for finance and management consulting type jobs. Maybe it's different in other industries?
    Nah, in my eyes its as follows:

Oxford/Camridge and imperial, then a gap, then the rest like Bristol, Warwick, southampton.

You'd be surprised though, say someone went to Bristol but had work experience / good reference whereas someone else went to Oxford but had no experience, they may easily take the student from bristol because of the work experience.

Going to a "higher reputed" university will help with getting an interview for sure, but actually DURING the interview they will assess your personality and your experience as much as anything else.

ReputationRep:
    So is there really much difference between Bristol & Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    If I asked employers (not in finance) in their 50s to name me the top 20 universities in England, I am pretty confident Warwick wouldn't be in most of their lists. Bristol would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    I was always told that Bristol is where the "Oxbridge rejects" go. Is this true? I always thought it was an esteemed, respectable university, but I just read a thread where they kind of cast it aside, and said it wasn't as good as universities like Durham and Warwick. Plus, I remember looking at the League table a few months ago, and was surprised at how low down it was on the list. What do you think? I know places are highly competitive but is this a valid indication of its excellence? How would you rate it alongside other universities? Thank you
    It is very much so...hence the reason it attracts 'Oxbridge Rejects' as opposed to say, thames valley rejects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made)
    It is very much so...hence the reason it attracts 'Oxbridge Rejects' as opposed to say, thames valley rejects.
    Haha, ok I getcha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Is it better respected than Warwick for English? That's what OP (& myself hopefully) want to study.
    Hey, I do English at Bristol so may well be biased, but...

Firstly, a lot of league tables aren't very indicative of how good unis are at certain subjects, because unis are rated on a lot of irrelevant stuff and everybody cares about different criteria. When I applied to uni I got offers from UCL, Durham and Bristol for English. At the time, UCL was top of the league tables, but I don't think that really means anything and I chose to go to Bristol for other reasons. By the time I graduate somewhere else will be ranked first, so the rating of the uni when you choose to study there ends up being fairly meaningless anyway cause there is so much movement.

The simple truth is that there is a group of universities which will always be considered the most prestigious in England (most people assume Oxbridge produce the best students, and after that see Durham, LSE, UCL, Bristol etc as being very similar). That's not necessarily a good thing, but it takes a very long time for unis to move on and off that list, because it's shaped by peoples' perceptions which can be hard to alter. Bristol is in that list. What that means, is that when you apply for a graduate job and your application form says 'Bristol' you will be considered very similarly as an applicant from Durham or Warwick. As you can see, everybody here is in disagreement because personal experience will bias your judgement, and because it is simply very subjective.

If you are applying to do a job related to English, you'll be just as fine with Bristol or Warwick on your form. Companies are probably less picky about where you went to uni (if it was generally a good uni) than about all your individual skills and experiences e.g. stuff like writing for the student newspaper.

I can personally say that I never even considered Warwick. It's considered a really good uni for subjects like economics and maths and gets heavily targetted by investment banks and similar employers, but I very much doubt that any of those companies knows anything about its English course!

English at Bristol is THE most oversubscribed course in the country (certainly when I applied and I imagine it remains so) - being offered a place there is definitely an achievement and people understand that.

Choose a course based on its structure, not on how prestigious it is. There's a big difference between the English courses at different institutions, so you're best off going with the one which appeals to you the most. Nobody is going to judge you or determine your job chances based on whether you ultimately choose Bristol or Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UPsilamba)
    Hey, I do English at Bristol so may well be biased, but...

Firstly, a lot of league tables aren't very indicative of how good unis are at certain subjects, because unis are rated on a lot of irrelevant stuff and everybody cares about different criteria. When I applied to uni I got offers from UCL, Durham and Bristol for English. At the time, UCL was top of the league tables, but I don't think that really means anything and I chose to go to Bristol for other reasons. By the time I graduate somewhere else will be ranked first, so the rating of the uni when you choose to study there ends up being fairly meaningless anyway cause there is so much movement.

The simple truth is that there is a group of universities which will always be considered the most prestigious in England (most people assume Oxbridge produce the best students, and after that see Durham, LSE, UCL, Bristol etc as being very similar). That's not necessarily a good thing, but it takes a very long time for unis to move on and off that list, because it's shaped by peoples' perceptions which can be hard to alter. Bristol is in that list. What that means, is that when you apply for a graduate job and your application form says 'Bristol' you will be considered very similarly as an applicant from Durham or Warwick. As you can see, everybody here is in disagreement because personal experience will bias your judgement, and because it is simply very subjective.

If you are applying to do a job related to English, you'll be just as fine with Bristol or Warwick on your form. Companies are probably less picky about where you went to uni (if it was generally a good uni) than about all your individual skills and experiences e.g. stuff like writing for the student newspaper.

I can personally say that I never even considered Warwick. It's considered a really good uni for subjects like economics and maths and gets heavily targetted by investment banks and similar employers, but I very much doubt that any of those companies knows anything about its English course!

English at Bristol is THE most oversubscribed course in the country (certainly when I applied and I imagine it remains so) - being offered a place there is definitely an achievement and people understand that.

Choose a course based on its structure, not on how prestigious it is. There's a big difference between the English courses at different institutions, so you're best off going with the one which appeals to you the most. Nobody is going to judge you or determine your job chances based on whether you ultimately choose Bristol or Warwick
    How are you finding English at Bristol? That's what I've applied to do, and it would definitely be my first choice if I got an offer but ugh it's so competitive that I'm worried. :P I don't even know what they really look for in a student, and when I talk to other applicants for the same course they seem to have a much stronger application - or maybe I'm just paranoid and putting myself down, ahaha. Oh I don't know, uni stuff is stressful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    Nah, in my eyes its as follows:

Oxford/Camridge and imperial, then a gap, then the rest like Bristol, Warwick, southampton.
    Eh?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is very well respected. In the short or long term, there will be no discernible difference between a 2.1 from Bristol (in BA English) and a 2.1 from Warwick/Durham etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.