Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Royal Mail, stop being wimps and do your job Watch

ReputationRep:
    We had no post for about 6 days but I live on top of a really steep hill which has been pretty much impassable so I can see why. As for parcels and stuff, they are likely to have been effected by train and airport problems, I'm waiting for one that is tracking as being stuck in cardiff atm because of all the problems over there. Whilst it could be better I know that our local postman has been trying his hardest and that's all we can really expect...

ReputationRep:
    We didn't have any post for a week a couple of weeks back. Not many of my birthday cards showed up in time for my birthday...
    On the other hand, a parcel from America arrived no problem during the worst of the snow (Parcel Force), and my boyfriend's Christmas present, also ordered from abroad, showed up on Monday (UPS). I think that says a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Royal mail delivered my Amazon order very quickly, but we didn't get any other post. I'm sure they are prioritising Amazon, best to order from them !

ReputationRep:
    Tell you what, use that £2 or £3 you spent on postage to drive yourself to and from the company you bought from, picking the item up yourself.

What's that? You wouldn't be able to get out of your city for that? No ****, sherlock.

York's main sorting office was this year dealing with, on average, 700,000 individual items of post each day. Each of these are handled individually by people. That takes time. You're welcome to try and better it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly Royal Mail's fault is it that it's snowing. They can't control the weather! Also, my postie is really nice to me. The post here is getting here quite quick, considering the snow!

ReputationRep:
    Well I bought a game from Amazon last week, and my sister also bought something as well from another website on the same day. Both to be delivered by the Royal Mail, I found out today that here item came today but not mine. :L

ReputationRep:
    Last presents arrived today! Phew!

ReputationRep:
    Royal Mail are delivering in my area. However the service I have recieved this christmas from amazon has been atrocious, someone is going to get fired after Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Complain. The last time I bought something from Amazon didn't arrive in three weeks. I received a full refund(the item had still not arrived) and 10% off my next Amazon order

ReputationRep:
    That's what I said to your mum last night, but she said she doesn't work on Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd4483)
    It seems like they are looking for any excuse to sit back and not do their job.

It's not even cold where I am, and most of the snow has melted, yet items I ordered over a fortnight ago still haven't arrived.

And all this while the price of postage continues to rise. For what, exactly?
    Yes and No is my answer.

ReputationRep:
    Only just spotted this thread so excuse me for late bumpage.

As a former man of the post I have to say I was very pleased and supportive of the decision NOT to send my postman, and the other 'foot soldiers' out on delivery in the past few weeks.

The job of a postman unfortunately is very stereotyped. It's not easy, it's very physical in fact, and consists basically of hauling four or five pouches around on a single day (not at the same time, but even swapping regularly it's still an epic workload), often full to the brim (you're supposed to break them down but posties are invariably a stubborn sort who would rather break their own knees than carry lighter bags), a task that is not without peril on a normal, snow-free day.

Obviously, when introducing snow and ice into the bargain, substances on which even the most nimble-footed of individuals shall probably slip on once a day, carrying bags of this size and mass is not entirely advisable, nor is it condoned by modern health and safety practices. Slipping over on ice with a heavy bag on one's back can lead to serious injuries, either due to strain as the bag shifts or due to the bag itself falling on whatever part of the body.

Some will think that it's perfectly fine for their dosser of a postman to come out and deliver their precious packets and parcels (after all, at this time of the year it's not as if he has to carry sixty or seventy of them a day - an immense workload in itself before we even get to the letters), but they need to gain a sense of realism about what the job entails before presuming it is safe for postal workers to be out on delivery. Delivery offices were always very pushy in my experience and during my time working within one, I often felt that unsafe working practices were promoted, permitted, and privately condoned by a management structure all too prepared to turn a blind eye to health and safety issues so long as they cleared their offices and kept their bonuses looking tidy.

Thankfully there seems to have been a slight shift towards healthier practice now, though I doubt it's anything to do with the worker's well-being; it usually isn't where Royal Mail is concerned.

Just on the first-class stamp issue, everyone should be made more aware of the reasons for the turmoil and constant (financial) losses within Royal Mail. Royal Mail has, in effect, for many years now been forced to deliver its competitors mail at a loss all for the sake of the perverse idea of 'opening up the market'. Look at your letters the next time the postman delivers them and see the stamp in the top right-hand corner. It won't be there. Most likely it will say TNT, though DHL, UKMail and many others are paying Royal Mail nominal (and insufficent) amounts of money so that they deliver (and prioritise as first-class!) their competitors mail.

This has destroyed Royal Mail's monopoly and driven them to a point where they're a loss-making company in every respect. They can't deliver their own mail in profit due to postcomm's draconian rules and desperately need to increase funds from somewhere. As things are, RM seems to be on its last legs.

Everyone seems to hate them but they are a victim of the EU's opening up of the market and its own government's desire to force it into privatisation. Anyone who thinks privatisation will be good for the postal service as well should probably reconsider. We pay the most for electric, gas, and various other privatised commodities, yet the service we receive is terrible. When Royal Mail is privatised we will be paying more for a worse service. Staff will probably move towards the European model, full of casuals.

The day of the postman who knows every name at every house, who preps and delivers his own round and consequently corrects any errors before any of the dimwit managers are even aware of them, are coming to an end. Many won't even realise what they've lost until YEARS down the line. Having worked with these guys I have to say, they're some of the true cornerstones of the British working world, and just as often, bastions of the communities in which they deliver.

All hail the postman while we still have a chance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.